The DR only has a week?s reserve of liquid fuels

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The DR only has a week?s reserve of liquid fuels

SD. The Dominican Republic ?acknowledges a serious energy vulnerability,? says Pelegrin Castillo Seman, the Minister of Energy and Mining. With a daily consumption of 140,000 barrels of petroleum that has to be imported, and of which 80% are by-products, the country only has a week?s reserve of liquid fuels, 12 days worth of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and 21 days of liquid natural gas.

It could be a little more if some private storage facilities are included, ?but never more than the critical level in a region full of risks and volatilities,? says the minister.

And if that were not sufficient, in a ?rational and dangerous? manner, the country concentrates its energy infrastructure along the line of its South Coast, between San Pedro de Macoris and Ocoa Bay.

This concentration is ?against all of the recommendations by experts and of policy outlines that were worked out over the last 30 years,? Castillo noted.

The official voiced his ideas during the conversation on Natural Gas, held on Tuesday morning by the Commonwealth Round Table and the Dominican Association of the Electric Industry.

Pelegrin Castillo proposed that the State should focus on energy security through an active policy of exploration on land and sea, and through the diversification of the energy matrix, pushing for the reconversion to natural gas for the existing generators and the installation of high efficiency coal-fired plants.

Source: DiarioLibre

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
It makes me ask 1) historically what is the reserve time and 2) what are the recommendations ?? Without that info it is hard to evaluate the significance. Anyone have more info?

Then maybe 3) what are the possible consequences?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Yet another critical mark the DR falls short on.

Tommy - use your imagination. If there is a problem in the Carribean (say a heavy hurricane) that makes it impossible to physically get oil on shore, the DR only has 7 days supply.

May 12, 2005
Sounds like DR is just precipice of serious civil unrest. A little more drought, some weather to interrupt fuel supplies.............

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago

Tommy - use your imagination. If there is a problem in the Carribean (say a heavy hurricane) that makes it impossible to physically get oil on shore, the DR only has 7 days supply.
These. are subjects that imagination does not apply to. These are rational subjects are best examined with facts and logic.

There are reserves at every stage of the distribution chain. What is the capacity of the chain. You could "imagine" reserves as tanks that directly feed the pumps and that would be wrong. 7 days of reserves does not contain enough information to make fact based decisions. It is great for "fueling" chaos, confusion and imaginations.

Does some one have any facts!?

What was said conflicts with the fact that my gas station has 7 days of reserve and they are the last point in the distribution chain so I know there is more upstream.

To say that the DR has fallen short we need to know what the goal is and the significance.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THAT's WHY I have 3, 20 gallon tanks of "Propane" for cooking, 22, 5 gallon bottles of drinking water,55 gallons of diesel fuel for my generator, a 3 month supply of food for 8 people, and a "12 Gauge" to keep them!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I have lived through "Shortages" here before, and we will have them again!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The DR only has a week’s reserve of liquid fuels

SD. The Dominican Republic “acknowledges a serious energy vulnerability,” says Pelegrin Castillo Seman, the Minister of Energy and Mining. With a daily consumption of 140,000 barrels of petroleum that has to be imported, and of which 80% are by-products, the country only has a week’s reserve of liquid fuels, 12 days worth of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) and 21 days of liquid natural gas.

It could be a little more if some private storage facilities are included, “but never more than the critical level in a region full of risks and volatilities,” says the minister.

And if that were not sufficient, in a “rational and dangerous” manner, the country concentrates its energy infrastructure along the line of its South Coast, between San Pedro de Macoris and Ocoa Bay.

This concentration is “against all of the recommendations by experts and of policy outlines that were worked out over the last 30 years,” Castillo noted.

The official voiced his ideas during the conversation on Natural Gas, held on Tuesday morning by the Commonwealth Round Table and the Dominican Association of the Electric Industry.

Pelegrin Castillo proposed that the State should focus on energy security through an active policy of exploration on land and sea, and through the diversification of the energy matrix, pushing for the reconversion to natural gas for the existing generators and the installation of high efficiency coal-fired plants.

Source: DiarioLibre

Over 70% of reserves made up of imports in the DR are owned and operated by the private sector. This article as presented and opinions on the matter are just a "fake" call out to allow the gov to get financing for newer depots.

Let the gov sit on this one and allow the private sector to pick any slack needed.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I am surprised the DR has any reserves. What way is there for a corrupt politician to benefit from reasonable reserves? Now a shortage and price gouging there lies opportunity. Here you take care of yourself and ticket to Miami in your back pocket.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
THAT's WHY I have 3, 20 gallon tanks of "Propane" for cooking, 22, 5 gallon bottles of drinking water,55 gallons of diesel fuel for my generator, a 3 month supply of food for 8 people, and a "12 Gauge" to keep them!

when **** hits the fan I know who to call! ;)

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

Maybe I should have been clearer.

Let's take a waterstation. Consisting of a central resevoir a pipe system, various cisterna's and finally the tap.

If it's true that there only 7 days reserve that means there are 7 days in the central reservoir. Any held in the cisterna's act as additonal reserve, but after 7 days they too will start to dry up. The total time it takes until there is no water will depend on the size of the cisterna's whiich can vary in size, some will hold a months reserve, some a day.

In the end it is necessary to start refilling the central reservoir again.

To compare the USA keeps a strategic reserve of 36 days

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Maybe I should have been clearer.

Let's take a waterstation. Consisting of a central resevoir a pipe system, various cisterna's and finally the tap.

If it's true that there only 7 days reserve that means there are 7 days in the central reservoir. Any held in the cisterna's act as additonal reserve, but after 7 days they too will start to dry up. The total time it takes until there is no water will depend on the size of the cisterna's whiich can vary in size, some will hold a months reserve, some a day.

In the end it is necessary to start refilling the central reservoir again.

To compare the USA keeps a strategic reserve of 36 days

Thanks, please name your dominican government source for the definition of reserve. I know what reserve is is the general sense. But how I evaluate the news is not by analogies but facts that include definitions. Everything else is imagination and speculation. We'll address US strategic reserves later and what that means. When we have completed we will be able to make a fact based comparison.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Thanks, please name your dominican government source for the definition of reserve. I know what reserve is is the general sense. But how I evaluate the news is not by analogies but facts that include definitions. Everything else is speculation. We'll address strategic reserves in the us later and what that means.

Have you not read the first post? The information regarding reserve is from the minister Pelegrin Castillo Seman. It was taken fram an article in the DiaroLibre. There is no scientific definition given of what his information means, nor when and how this would trickle down to the various points of distribution in the supply chain.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I have read the posts and have been asking if there is more info.

So, with the available information from the original post and the information we have available we cannot conclude anything except that it is not actionable. We cannot make a fact-based conclusion.

We have seen an example of how the news is shallow and some insight to how people are influenced by that. It is disappointing but not surprising.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I have read the posts and have been asking if there is more info.

So, with the available information from the original post and the information we have available we cannot conclude anything except that it is not actionable. We cannot make a fact-based conclusion.

We have seen an example of how the news is shallow and some insight to how people are influenced by that. It is disappointing but not surprising.

In real world situations there are always questions unanswered. The information in the article indicated te me that it would be wise to get some reserves, like those of Cccccccc.

It also confirmed me in my policy of always trying to keep my vehicle filled up, plus an extra canteen. This is also supported by the various shortages I've experienced over the years.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

That Mossberg you swear by only has 6 shots. When things hit the fan, make the first 5 count.

May 29, 2006
It's a good idea to rotate through your stores once in a while so they don't go bad. In the DR, I can see wanting at least a week's worth of food and water for Hurricane season and a way to charge your phone when the power's out.

I keep about a month's worth of non-perishable food around the house simply because I like to stock up when they have a good sale. I'll get something like 50 cans of Campbells Soup when it's only a buck a can..

Might be good to start a thread on prepping for the DR. I know there have been a couple posts during hurricane season on what to have in the house for that kind of thing. Before Sandy hit NY, one of my friends got a $10 camping Sterno stove from WalMart and it was a life-saver until the power came back on again.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Haven't used anything in a REAL emergency situation, HOWEVER, as you WILL KNOW if you like in a Dominican home, never get MORE of ANYTHING until it runs out!!!!
So the "Gas", and water bottles come in handy EVERY month!
The sugar, chocolate, leche en polvo, etc.,etc.,etc.
ALL THE TIME!!!!
After running out, after hurricane "George",I don't want to repeat my daily "Foraging" for water, gasoline, propane, food,Diesel Fuel, etc.
There was a lot of "Tension" in the streets as people ran out!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Solar39

Dec 13, 2010
Cost of filling up a propane tank for cooking

Hi I live in NJ what is the cost of filling up a propane tank in DR? Much appreciated.