Five Reasons to Move Barahona to Top of DR Bucket List : Huffington Post

Aug 6, 2006
For those wanting to know what is going on in Barahona,

Ecos del Sur

Barahona is a very friendly, laid back place with a pretty active nightlife, concentrated along the Malec?n and the Parque Central about six blocks from the port. Nightlife consists of merengue and presidente in partially open air places or utterly deafening merengue in some what fancier night clubs, like the Atlante.

There are crumbling, roofless buildings with SE VENDE signs on them three blocks from the Parque Central, and public transportation is almost entirely by motoconcho. The people are very friendly and prices are lower than in most of the rest of the DR. There is an international airport that has no scheduled flights, and an extensive fleet of guaguas to all the surrounding towns leaving from the city market area. Dominican food in restaurants is very good, but there is only one pizzeria that has adequate pizza. the best place to eat is the Cafe Melo, on Anacaona Street. It is the only restaurant that features no music. The food is great and reasonably priced. They even serve passable French toast.

Barahona is built on an incline, swooping down to the sea. There seems to always be a breeze. The most obvious landmark is the towering smokestack of the sugar mill and El Cayo, a peninsula that extends in front of the harbor, The beach facing the city is basic, but the water is warm and a great place for a swim, as is the beach facing it on the mainland. The beach facing the Caribbean is littered with an unimaginable number of bottles and debris, knee deep at least. Ecos del Sur says that a company is going to start recycling these soon.

The very best beach is on the Paraiso road (route 44 to Pedernales) at San Rafael. Several freshwater ponds run down to the ocean. There are retaurants with traditional fare. The beach at Los Patos, a little further west, is similar ans also nice. The road itself has beautiful views of the Caribbean.

Weekends the Malecon is a great place to watch everyone cruise by on their pasolas, motoconchos, jeeptas and all sorts of other vehicles. It is sort of like the Dominican version of American Graffiti.

There are two large buses: Caribetours and Simchomiba. The former has the best buses, with bathrooms and goes straight through. The latter makes a stop at the Chinese-operated truckstop in Cruce de Ocoa, and takes about 45 minutes longer. There are also guaguas, that stop constantly to load and unload passengers. The price is almost the same, give or take 50 pesos.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
My favorite place to drive a motorcycle on this island is right outside Barahona on route 44. My favorite stop is "Casa Bonita." Dominican Republic Eco Hotel - Casa Bonita in Barahona -

It's an Eco hotel & Restaurant with some of the best views of the ocean i have ever seen. I use this hotel as a jumping off point to my motorcycle excursions of the rest of route 44 and Pedernales.

It's expensive (Casa Bonita), but its fabulous.

Frank

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my favorite place to drive a motorcycle on this island is right outside Barahona on route 44. my favorite stop is Casa Bonita. It's a Eco hotel & Restaurant with some of the best views of the ocean i have seen. I use this hotel as a jumping off point to my motorcycle excursions of the rest of route 44 and Pedernales.

It's expensive (Casa Bonita), but its fabulous.

Frank

View from the pool at Casa Bonita
IMG_0391.jpg

fabsab

Mar 7, 2008
www.dr1.com
I just returned from a visit to Barahona and beyond and found it magical!
The city was not so much fun but all the Pueblo Beaches were great. It is slightly cheaper in the Playas than the North.
I specially liked Los Patos and Paraiso. The only issue with me was the rocky beaches. You certainly need to have beach shoes if you want to hit the water. The colors at the beach was mesmerizing.
How do you post pictures here?.... I have a few for anyone who is interested.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Casa Bonia and Rio de Los Patos. Two places should be on everyone's bucket list...

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Yes, but they never have more than 12 guests and your table has its own waiter standing by. The food is marvelous. However, Rio de los patos is close by and you can get locally priced lobster, shimp and fish....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
did I read the rates right? $220 US for the room and $80 more for food? so $300 a night? single or double occupancy.

No one said it was cheap. We booked through Expedia, and got a rate of about $140-$150 if I remember correctly. Included nothing. They have a full service spa, US prices. They grow many of their own vegetables, and the food was divine. We also ate at some local places, which we enjoyed enough to go back to once more. My biggest problem there was the endless staircases everywhere, I have a bad knee and it was a hard climb because there isn't one railing anywhere.

They were beginning an expansion, I think they said they were doubling the number of rooms. They were sold out the weekend we went.

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Jul 28, 2008
Hi, all. I have a couple of questions about Barahona and thought that I'd just add it to this thread. I am planning to visit Barahona in September and my plans are to stay at the Casa Bonita. But first, a couple of questions: Should I buy the mean plan that the hotel offers or are there restaurants/eateries nearby (walking distance)? Secondly, if I take the bus (Caribe Tours, most likely) from Santo Domingo to Barahona, is it a significant cab ride to Casa Bonita? And thirdly, how far are the beaches and other activities from Casa Bonita? Will I need to take taxis?

Thanks, all, in advance for your wisdom.
WorldCitizenDC

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,
I didn't knoe CB had a meal plan. But, the food and service is excellent. You can not walk to any restaurants nor beaches. Closest is rio pato which is 15 minute drive (??) Best to check with the hotel and see if they have a car/drive. Pretty far away from any taxi stand.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Unfortuantely, no. But most of the shots I take from a lounger include the feet.