From Bayahibe to Samana the easiest way!?

E

elhelado

Hi
I am in Bayahibe and I need to get to Samana tomorrow. I know its very last minute but you never now and perhaps it could help other people.

I have asked around how to get there and people say different things all the time. It appears that Lonely planet says you should take a goa goa to La Romana or to Higuey and then go to Hato Mayor, then to Sabana del Mar and take the ferry from there. It appears as there is a lot of stops but perhaps it works well, it appears that the last ferry goes at 5 PM so I guess one should go up early tomorrow.

Other people said I should go to San Pedro Macoris that looks like a huge detour on the map but the road system might change that. An even more huge detour ive heard is to go to Santo Domingo and take a bus from there. I know that that highway is nice but it seems like an insane detour.

Any suggestions? I am trying to be environmentally friend and so far ive avoided using a car for 27 years and yeah, i didnt even bring drivers license so that isnt a solution anyways.

PS: I speak spanish and doesnt mind guaguas even though i also wouldnt mind paying for nicer buses. This time I unfortunatly have a full suitcase + medium sized bag which is somewhat cumbersome, I guess especially for a guagua.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi
I am in Bayahibe and I need to get to Samana tomorrow. I know its very last minute but you never now and perhaps it could help other people.

I have asked around how to get there and people say different things all the time. It appears that Lonely planet says you should take a goa goa to La Romana or to Higuey and then go to Hato Mayor, then to Sabana del Mar and take the ferry from there. It appears as there is a lot of stops but perhaps it works well, it appears that the last ferry goes at 5 PM so I guess one should go up early tomorrow.

Other people said I should go to San Pedro Macoris that looks like a huge detour on the map but the road system might change that. An even more huge detour ive heard is to go to Santo Domingo and take a bus from there. I know that that highway is nice but it seems like an insane detour.

Any suggestions? I am trying to be environmentally friend and so far ive avoided using a car for 27 years and yeah, i didnt even bring drivers license so that isnt a solution anyways.

PS: I speak spanish and doesnt mind guaguas even though i also wouldnt mind paying for nicer buses. This time I unfortunatly have a full suitcase + medium sized bag which is somewhat cumbersome, I guess especially for a guagua.

Did you get to Samana?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
there is no shortcut.... that ferry ride with luggage might be tough.

hope he/she made it

Faster way is take a bus from Bayahibe to La Romana, and then another bus from La Romana to Santo Domingo, and after the toll arround the airport tell the guy that you are going to Samana that you want to stop in the Bus Stop for Samana, and there you have 2 options, Caribe Tours bus Stop and Samana Bus Stop, both are one next to other.

E

elhelado

there is no shortcut.... that ferry ride with luggage might be tough.

hope he/she made it

Hey guys! What I did was go to La Romana, then to san Pedro up to Sabana del mar, take the ferry to Samana and then a guagua from there to Las terranas. I would probably not recommend it. In the map, it looks crazy to go back to SD and then up to las terrenas but with all the hassle/hussle it might been the better choice. I got through quite mildy to Sabana del mar without overpaying at all but from there then they were relentless with overcharging me. The ferry was kinda bad and superuncomfortable and not recommended with anything sensitive (but otherwise like fun i guess) but well in Samana they wanted 1000 pesos with a guagua from there to Las terrenas. I speak spanish (but look like a total foreigner) and even though i told them like, i know the price should be like 250 and there are hotels that charge less than 1000 pesos for the night then they didnt give up. Found some germans though that were going that way and we arranged a price of a very affordable 200 pesos per person. It took the whole day though.

Just thought I should update!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never been on that ferry.....

oh well.... congratulations on making it.... an experience !! (sounds like)

you're smarter now !!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi

You did it the hard way. You should have gone into SD and taken the bus directly to LT for about $350 pesos. Why did you say Samana when you meant Las Terrenas. You could have avoided a lot of hassle.