Too much beans...?

Sofia&Anders

Jun 28, 2014
...can give you an upset stomach! Gosh, some people are negative! Introduced ourselves, got some good tips and a LOT of sour grapes about the expensiveness of the country, what a lousy idea it is to travel around in the DR with kids and how unfriendly and dishonest the Dominican people generally are. Fortunately we have greater confidence in this location and our capability to get by outside of western Europe. We're planning on having a blast in the DR, in spite of what some party poopers are saying. Be blessed!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you will be fine..... but you should post in the "Travel " section....

not new members section.... thats why they closed you

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Take it all with a grain of salt... and come have fun. Some people get overly negative and some are rah-rah-rahers. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

If you ask specific questions - for example, asking for recommendations for an apartment in a specific/particular part of the country, you may get more useful answers.

I've moved this to the Living Forum, as the Travel threads are location specific.

Aug 6, 2006
Dominicans are good at cooking beans (habichuelas). Dominican cuisine is different and pretty good, so I recommend looking up some recipes like bandera, sancocho, mang? and tostones so you know what you are eating. Never pass up fresh warm casabe bread. Traveling around the DR is far less expensive than traveling around the US or Canada, and there is all sorts of scenery in a compact area. I have found the people to be friendly and warm, with very few exceptions.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
X O nails it again

Try Europe these days..... you'll beg for NYC or Toronto..... then Santo Domingo

in the past year , I have had the pleasure of treating my wife to visits to my 'Seven League Boots' daughter...

Sydney and then London.... the other one lives in NYC
consider me educated in prices.

Meanwhile, I sit on the nest here in RD saving up for those big ticket items

Sydney is one of the top 10 --- London, NYC and Toronto do not crack the list. NYC = 26th

SDQ is not on the list of the top 10 cheapest....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Am I the only one who thought they really weren't interested in beans - that they thought the cranky posters had eaten too many beans and had cramps that made them that way?? :bunny:

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Don't get discouraged by the naysayers..... You will have a great time!!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Dominicans are good at cooking beans (habichuelas). Dominican cuisine is different and pretty good, so I recommend looking up some recipes like bandera, sancocho, mang? and tostones so you know what you are eating. Never pass up fresh warm casabe bread. Traveling around the DR is far less expensive than traveling around the US or Canada, and there is all sorts of scenery in a compact area. I have found the people to be friendly and warm, with very few exceptions.

In samana, It is PAN DE COCO. Warm, it is a killer ! Your children will love it (mine doo), highly recommended :)

DSC_0466_JPEG.jpg

Come on down, you and the kids will have a blast despite the beans :bunny:

Aug 6, 2006
For beans, there is Beano.

It is hard to find fresh casabe bread, even in Barahona.

I have yet to try pan de coco, but it sounds good.

My favorite thing about Hawaii is the Coconut pancake syrup. There are several great recipes online for this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In samana, It is PAN DE COCO. Warm, it is a killer ! Your children will love it (mine doo), highly recommended :)

DSC_0466_JPEG.jpg

Come on down, you and the kids will have a blast despite the beans :bunny:

Are those about 4" across and also called coconettes?? Have you ever had masitas? Same size as coconettes. 5 pesos each to Dominicans, 10 pesos each to everyone else :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
For beans, there is Beano.

It is hard to find fresh casabe bread, even in Barahona.

I have yet to try pan de coco, but it sounds good.

My favorite thing about Hawaii is the Coconut pancake syrup. There are several great recipes online for this.

I take a concho to go buy mine in Lim?n, yes, it is that good (and ridiculously cheap).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Are those about 4" across and also called coconettes?? Have you ever had masitas? Same size as coconettes. 5 pesos each to Dominicans, 10 pesos each to everyone else :)

I don't know about coconettes nor Massita. I just call it pan de coco and they know what I am talking about, lol. They are usually big (maybe 8 inches) and don't look as fancy as the previous pic.

images

But I think I saw some smaller one.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
DR1 is a circlejerk for retired expats.

Imagine if you will, a trip to Grandpa's house. As you pull up to his house, Grandpa and his buddies are sitting on the front porch. You say "Hi, Grandpa, how's it going", He says "When's the last time you checked the oil in your car, and I see your right front tire is a little low. You need to check these things more often, or you while up broke down on the side of the road dumbass" then one of Grandpa's freind's say "You remember that '67 Impala I had with the 283? That car got 18 MPG. I was looking at new cars yesterday, and the sticker on a brand new one said 20MPG. Are you telling me in 50 years they haven't improved gas mileage" The other buddy says "Oh, they can, but they wont. The government is in bed with the oil companies, just the other day I read in the paper..."

DR1 is Grandpa's virtual front porch. He loves you, but thinks your a dumbass for not checking your oil. It's not nice, but he is right, you really should check your oil more often.

You'll be fine, your kids will have fun and learn a lot
You will get hookwinked by a Dominican. They are poor and opportunistic, you are rich and naive
Really, take your budget and double it!

G'luck, have fun.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I don't know about coconettes nor Massita. I just call it pan de coco and they know what I am talking about, lol. They are usually big (maybe 8 inches) and don't look as fancy as the previous pic.

images

But I think I saw some smaller one.

Have you had pan de batata? :) So good!

pan_de_batata.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
DR1 is a circlejerk for retired expats.

Imagine if you will, a trip to Grandpa's house. As you pull up to his house, Grandpa and his buddies are sitting on the front porch. You say "Hi, Grandpa, how's it going", He says "When's the last time you checked the oil in your car, and I see your right front tire is a little low. You need to check these things more often, or you while up broke down on the side of the road dumbass" then one of Grandpa's freind's say "You remember that '67 Impala I had with the 283? That car got 18 MPG. I was looking at new cars yesterday, and the sticker on a brand new one said 20MPG. Are you telling me in 50 years they haven't improved gas mileage" The other buddy says "Oh, they can, but they wont. The government is in bed with the oil companies, just the other day I read in the paper..."

DR1 is Grandpa's virtual front porch. He loves you, but thinks your a dumbass for not checking your oil. It's not nice, but he is right, you really should check your oil more often.

You'll be fine, your kids will have fun and learn a lot
You will get hookwinked by a Dominican. They are poor and opportunistic, you are rich and naive
Really, take your budget and double it!

G'luck, have fun.

I think we have determined earlier that most haven't got the wind power to blow their nose.

remember all the talk about not being to afford a ticket home?
never should leave home if you can't get back !!

I could wade and swim on that beach in LT all day -- and I'm not a big beach person
children will love it

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Sofia & Anders,

Welcome, and by the looks of your names...my guess is that you are Scandinavian--probably Norske? Ikke sant?

Frank