Feedback Please - Those who currently live in DR most of the year

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I posted another thread because we are looking at opening a small restaurant in Sosua with healthier options on the menu - and even some things for outright health nuts.

Not planning to make it Casa Marina tourism dependant and more focus on establishing a base of people interested in their own personal health.

My sister is a dietitian and trainer who on her own lost 100lbs and has kept it off more than 5 years. In the past 15 months I lost 60 - but seem to teter totter up when in Sosua for more than a couple of weeks at a time because of lack of options other than Fresh Fresh whose location is not convenient for me.

I want to look at this more of a lifestyle place then just a restaurant and incorporate other things into the business to involve the community.

On a scale of 1-10 how likely would you be to:
Register for a weekly walking group - 4x-5x per/week to get in shape? Would you be prepared to pay for that - if so, how much.
Participate in a diet program that includes prepared food?
Work with a nutritionist to improve your diet and health?

Any other ideas would be welcome. Also any other ideas would be welcome.

Finally - to the DR1.com gods. I was on the Advertise page and see a monthly price for full width banner but notice in forums that in some places the full width banner space is broken into 3 spaces - what is the monthly cost of the smaller banner space?

Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Finally - to the DR1.com gods. I was on the Advertise page and see a monthly price for full width banner but notice in forums that in some places the full width banner space is broken into 3 spaces - what is the monthly cost of the smaller banner space?

Thanks

Send a PM to Robert and he can give you all the info.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Send a PM to Robert and he can give you all the info.

Ok so that answers the last question - will do now. How do I PM Robert? If I message through the site will he get it?

Any other feedback concerning the 3 questions about participation in services to improve health and even lose weight would be great

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
We would like to have somewhere in town where you could get ready made or made to order healthy options for lunch times.
Probably would say no thanks to the rest though.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
No to all 3 from me also.
I go to the Golden Park Gym several times a week. Eat out maybe 1-2 times per week. The rest of the time I cook locally bought ( not imported or processed) foods at home.
I'm a big believer that motivation has to come from within. But good luck with your business.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Sorry to say it but for me - questions 1 - 3: No thanks.

Thanks for the feedback - couple of personal questions (if too personal I understand if you don't want to answer). Are you male/female? Are you generally healthy - eat healthy in the home vs. eating out a lot? Are you over the age of 40? Do you consider yourself overweight?

Trying to determine by the feedback I get if it is coming from target demographics. Thanks

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
No to all 3 from me also.
I go to the Golden Park Gym several times a week. Eat out maybe 1-2 times per week. The rest of the time I cook locally bought ( not imported or processed) foods at home.
I'm a big believer that motivation has to come from within. But good luck with your business.

Do you buy most of your food at Playero/Superpola? Where would you say is the best option for fresh greens. Some of what I have seen at Playero is really gross and that is something else I have to look into.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
We would like to have somewhere in town where you could get ready made or made to order healthy options for lunch times.
Probably would say no thanks to the rest though.

Same questions as I posed to DrSix if you don't mind sharing. This is really help guys and gals - I cant tell you how much I appreciate it.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Incentivize.

If people show up for the walk, give them a discount/free treat on the prepared food. Make them want to show up not feel obligated to show.

Have a free consultation with a nutritionist at your place of business before they get on board. Entice them to come back when the nutritionist isn't there but have the free consultation get them in the door.

Make them come back two times a week, or at the very least once a week. Have an event or gathering besides the walk. Seminars where people can purchase health items but are free to attend, classes with a small signup fee to get people eating healthy in their home, ect.

I'm not too big in this area but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Incentivize.

If people show up for the walk, give them a discount/free treat on the prepared food. Make them want to show up not feel obligated to show.

Have a free consultation with a nutritionist at your place of business before they get on board. Entice them to come back when the nutritionist isn't there but have the free consultation get them in the door.

Make them come back two times a week, or at the very least once a week. Have an event or gathering besides the walk. Seminars where people can purchase health items but are free to attend, classes with a small signup fee to get people eating healthy in their home, ect.

I'm not too big in this area but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Excellent ideas!!! Are you familiar with the Running Room? That concept exploded out of getting the community involved. Hosting free clinics, posting the calendar of community walks and runs and a lot of other great things. A lot of your points are consistent with that model.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I see quite a few Dominicanas out walking recently... for health & weight, I expect

see this between Cabrera and Cabarete... it surprised me
we have a man in Abreu who clocks many miles a day on foot

point ?
don't forget the locals and how to include/encourage them

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I haven't heard of Running Room, is that in the POP, Cabarete, Sosua area? I haven't traveled there much, I'm stuck in Santiago usually.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I think you'd have a much higher chance at success having this business in Cabarete. Many people talk about the lack of a health food store and the restaurants that offer relatively healthy, fast food are the ones that seem to have the most consistent local business. There are however, several that already fit that bill. By the way, have you been to Fresh-Fresh in Sosua? Not cheap, but excellent, healthy "fast" food and a wall of organic/healthy products for sale...they are about to open a second shop in Cabarete.

Obviously, it's also a more fitness-focused demographic (Cabarete)...I'd be into a walking group...especially along the beach...whether I would pay or not would depend what I was paying for...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
cjewell

You are going about this the right way but I'm not sure the North Coast has enough demographics to make it profitable. Santo Domingo might be a better option.

BTW, I like your idea. Dominican food can be very healthy actually and I am in better shape than most people my age back in the States (I work out too).

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I see quite a few Dominicanas out walking recently... for health & weight, I expect

see this between Cabrera and Cabarete... it surprised me
we have a man in Abreu who clocks many miles a day on foot

point ?
don't forget the locals and how to include/encourage them

More great advice - have a really great plan that way. It was actually a group of Dominican woman, one who I know who owns a business in town that I saw out walking at 7:30am one morning when I was out to get my coffee. You will often see runners as well running in between the Batey and Charamicos at varying time.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
You did say an honest opinion from those of us who actually live here?

I would say wrong country, wrong town.Wrong ideology.
(Maybe Cab is slightly more suitable.)
Most of the people I know are not boozers or mongers and I can think of only one who would go, just out of curiosity.

May work for the thousands of cruise passengers waiting to flood the streets though...

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
cjewell

You are going about this the right way but I'm not sure the North Coast has enough demographics to make it profitable. Santo Domingo might be a better option.

BTW, I like your idea. Dominican food can be very healthy actually and I am in better shape than most people my age back in the States (I work out too).

Not looking to get rich. Just make a little bit of money and do something that would be fun for me. I also figure I will spend at least a year in the red testing what/works, what doesn't, building up recognition. Sometimes business as usually can get boring so it can be good to have other things going on that are in contrast to the regular grind. I think though that if the entire plan works it is something that could result in franchises and potentially make its way into bigger cities. Some of what I have posted re: feedback has been because of questions that I literally don't have the answers too - but there is much that hasn't been openly discussed and I am very excited. I do know though that I am facing an up hill climb and a lot of work =) Thank you for the support.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not about making lots of money. it's about having a business that works. it's pointless to work hard all day and barely break even. you want to bring in a profit. this particular model has better chances off success in santiago or SD, areas with higher population and more money to spend on something people could easily do themselves.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
it's not about making lots of money. it's about having a business that works. it's pointless to work hard all day and barely break even. you want to bring in a profit. this particular model has better chances off success in santiago or SD, areas with higher population and more money to spend on something people could easily do themselves.

Always sound and pragmatic advice and I thank you.

I am fairly experienced in business and have already launched 3 from scratch that all proven successful. The most successful venture was something that took me two years of relationship building and hard work before I bore fruit. I understand the SD idea and yes, more people = more market but I am not interested in living in SD or even Santiago for that matter. I feel ok with the demographic in Sosua and doing ok.... We had some extra ideas that led to the questions asked in this thread to determine - who, who lives in or around Sosua on this forum would have interest in some of the ideas.

You are quite right about not going into business to lost money. The plan is not to blow my brains out - I am realistic though and know that this business, in terms of income it could generate in Sosua will have it's limit and will never rise to the level of my other ventures (at least while only in Sosua). One of my businesses is a mid-sized marketing and communications company - I am not going to throw up a business without a solid plan to market it.

There will be a large web component to what we are doing... but I would like to be able to look at other peripheral services that can be provided - for free or for free and that engage the community - whether we provide them directly or we bring another aligned business is town to work with us.