Moving to Santo Domingo from Seattle

B

bens

Hello all,
I was recently in the Dominican Republic for dental work. While there, I literally ran into an English speaking girl and blah blah blah. Now, I don't exactly care for the US, so the idea of moving internationally of it is something definitely worth embracing. But my major concerns are ones I should address prior to arriving.

1st, I just read about the contract murder of a public official (I skimmed over it). So, how safe is it really? I'll be living in Santo Domingo (I understand everywhere has it's bad neighborhoods). I'm also interested in traveling throughout the country. Is there anywhere I should honestly avoid, due to possible bodily harm?

2nd, the job situation. From what I'm told, if I walk into a call center, I'll pretty much be handed a job. Of course, I'm fluent in English (I don't speak much Spanish, but I'll pick it up) and know how to speak properly. So, is that true? I'd hate to get there only to find out I can't find a job. And speaking of, what about getting a visa? Do I need a work visa?

I promise, I'll do my best to reciprocate knowledge as this process develops.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
While there, I literally ran into an English speaking girl and blah blah blah. Now, I don't exactly care for the US, so the idea of moving internationally of it is something definitely worth embracing.

hahahahahaha

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Re security: use the same street smarts you would in any major city.

Re the job situation… a job at a call center will mean about RD$25,000 a month. If you have a place to live, you could probably live on that. If you don't, you will be living off your savings.

Re work visa: You will need a work visa. To get that you will need to apply through a consulate/embassy abroad. See Business Visa for employment purposes at the Dominican Republic Embassy website Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
How much do you have saved up? Don't come here only for the girl..

Is there a way you can keep your US bank account and get the money here? It will make your money stretch a lot more.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
1) dont come here only for a girl, come because you want to live here..

2) if you dont have money coming from the US, and by that i mean really good money, i dont suggest you to come here.

Whatever you think its gonna cost you to move here, make it DOUBLE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Did you have SEX with the girl the First Time you met her???????
If your answer is "YES", then so has everyone else!
If the fact that she can speak "English" is her strong point, stay in the USA, they ALL speak English there!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
facepalm.jpg

seriously though, think this through before you come down here on a whim.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Benn boy.......... Ignore these naysayers. Come down as fast as you can. The fact you literally bumped into her, and she speaks English is a sign....... a big sign. You two were obviously meant to be together. Hardy anyone here speaks English, and you bumped into one...!!!!

Obviously you did not have sex with her the first time you met her. Dominican girls wouldn't do that. Most are virgins and reserve any of that carry on for their wedding night. They are wonderful.

This time did catch the sarcasm!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Santo Domingo is a tough place to live.. the heat, smog, noise, the teaming masses. Plus you want to work a crummy 8-5 job for $500 per month? Hope you have a solid 5 figures in savings. I was in a luxury type apt in S.D. but I threw in the surrender towel after 4 mos and moved to Costambar Playa...more laid back, quiet, cheap.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hello all,
I was recently in the Dominican Republic for dental work. While there, I literally ran into an English speaking girl and blah blah blah. Now, I don't exactly care for the US, so the idea of moving internationally of it is something definitely worth embracing. But my major concerns are ones I should address prior to arriving.

1st, I just read about the contract murder of a public official (I skimmed over it). So, how safe is it really? I'll be living in Santo Domingo (I understand everywhere has it's bad neighborhoods). I'm also interested in traveling throughout the country. Is there anywhere I should honestly avoid, due to possible bodily harm?

2nd, the job situation. From what I'm told, if I walk into a call center, I'll pretty much be handed a job. Of course, I'm fluent in English (I don't speak much Spanish, but I'll pick it up) and know how to speak properly. So, is that true? I'd hate to get there only to find out I can't find a job. And speaking of, what about getting a visa? Do I need a work visa?

I promise, I'll do my best to reciprocate knowledge as this process develops.

First, welcome to DR1!

Living in DR is vastly different than vacationing there. So far, you've gotten feedback from several people who do, I'd take them seriously.

Unless you're engaged, I wouldn't recommend moving anywhere solely to be with someone. If you really are interested in DR, take a longer trip (say a few months) and sample life in various parts of the country.

A good start would be to figure out a realistic budget. It's a long thread, but I'd review this first: http://dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

Take your time, rent first, and don't do anything you can't undo (i.e., no kids, and have enough money to get back home).

Best of luck.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The best jobs for English speakers here in Santo Domingo is to be hired as a teacher .. if you have the credentials. You have to be hired offshore.. meaning from there. Those jobs .. some of them.. will pay at US rates.

To break the call center job down, and really give you pause, they are going to pay about $3.50 an hour.

Not a living wage by US standards.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Santo Domingo isn't as tough as people are saying. We have proper shops, you can get things done here, we have a 911 emergency service. If you have any money, aim for the Colonial Zone, it has a lot of expats and tourists, and for this reason a very strong police presence so it's probably the safest part of the city and also reasonably quiet, but with plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance of your house. An apartment here will cost around RD$20000 per month so you'll need to earn more than a call center salary to afford it.

I also agree with the others who have said that this is not the country for you unless you have income coming in from somewhere else. It's extremely hard trying to make a living here which feels anything like western standards.

I

iHavok

The capital is " Santo Domingo " it's just not safe out there. I would recommend a low key spot Called " R?o San Juan " not that far from Nagua - Puerto Plata. It's sort of between both.
But very wonderful. To move here you would need $$ Just invest

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Did you have SEX with the girl the First Time you met her???????
If your answer is "YES", then so has everyone else!
If the fact that she can speak "English" is her strong point, stay in the USA, they ALL speak English there!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Actually, pretty good advice.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
OK. You come to Santo Domingo, visiting the DR for the first time. You meet an English-speaking lady. You have a wonderful time with her. And now, you are ready to pack up and leave the US and relocate to Santo Domingo! You don't speak Spanish, but of course you are a pretty smart guy so you'll pick it up, no problem. You really don't have a lot of loot saved up or invested and will be looking for a job at a call center where you will be making half the minimum wage paid in the US [and I'm sure your girlfriend will just love that!]. I just have to tell you, this is not a new story, and you are not the first guy to find themselves bitten by the allure of paradise. Listen to the advice of the members of the DR1 Forum. We've been there, done that, and seen this many times. Good luck. Something tells me that you're going to do this and go over the cliff in spite of everyone's good advice. But know this, we'll be here 'if' it doesn't work out, and we will understand.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
OK. You come to Santo Domingo, visiting the DR for the first time. You meet an English-speaking lady. You have a wonderful time with her. And now, you are ready to pack up and leave the US and relocate to Santo Domingo! You don't speak Spanish, but of course you are a pretty smart guy so you'll pick it up, no problem. You really don't have a lot of loot saved up or invested and will be looking for a job at a call center where you will be making half the minimum wage paid in the US [and I'm sure your girlfriend will just love that!]. I just have to tell you, this is not a new story, and you are not the first guy to find themselves bitten by the allure of paradise. Listen to the advice of the members of the DR1 Forum. We've been there, done that, and seen this many times. Good luck. Something tells me that you're going to do this and go over the cliff in spite of everyone's good advice. But know this, we'll be here 'if' it doesn't work out, and we will understand.

Ron.. you are really painting us as MUCH nicer than we are..

When it doesn't work out and he is broke and she has taken all his money and locked him out the apartment which he has furnished for her

we will all say "TOLD YOU SO!!!"