DR tourist law change

snoopy15

Jan 22, 2013
I was just told that as a tourist we won't be able to stay in DR as long as we like. Usually when I go to DR i stay for 6 months and when I decide to leave I just pay a fine and leave but I have been told that I can no longer do that.

Anybody knows about this?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
no...... nobody can confirm it.

moving target at this point.

no definitive statement on tourists that has been seen here

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Doubt the gub-meant will change the status quo. Why give up the cash cow? Don't change what keeps their pockets full.

Regards,

PJT

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
The immigration lawyers are pushing for the change...force us illegals to pay more lawyer fees to get resident cards. They dont understand or care that the ability to come and go to the RD for a few months at a time is what make the country so attractive to many of us. We come here and spend critical thousands of dollars on the economy which is less important to them than their potential legal fee bonanza. Like i said in prior threads the solution is raise the paltry 800 peso fine to say 5,000..beef up govt coffers and tourism fund a bit.. not force us to get some fool resident card.

snoopy15

Jan 22, 2013
The immigration lawyers are pushing for the change...force us illegals to pay more lawyer fees to get resident cards. They dont understand or care that the ability to come and go to the RD for a few months at a time is what make the country so attractive to many of us. We come here and spend critical thousands of dollars on the economy which is less important to them than their potential legal fee bonanza. Like i said in prior threads the solution is raise the paltry 800 peso fine to say 5,000..beef up govt coffers and tourism fund a bit.. not force us to get some fool resident card.

I have been told to get the resident card will be free.However I still don't know where in SD you need to go to get this card.

Do you know how long we will be able to stay in SD if we don't have this resident card?

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Hummm. I asked a Immigration Agent on 6/15 if there would be any future changes for overstay. She said nothing is going to change as far as she knew. SDQ airport.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I have been told to get the resident card will be free.

I am sure the fee will be low and that is not what bothers me. It is the time and energy to do the application that will force me to move to another country. Travel to the RD immigration office, wait in line for hours, produce police reports, fingerprint cards, references, blood tests, medical exam, repeat the process every couple of years. The lawyers are salivating. Why not try to solve the country's Haitian immigration crisis first.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am sure the fee will be low and that is not what bothers me. It is the time and energy to do the application that will force me to move to another country. Travel to the RD immigration office, wait in line for hours, produce police reports, fingerprint cards, references, blood tests, medical exam, repeat the process every couple of years. The lawyers are salivating. Why not try to solve the country's Haitian immigration crisis first.

The new regularization plan is for Haitians [primarily] as well as all other foreigners. Read the thread linked in #10

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I was just told that as a tourist we won't be able to stay in DR as long as we like. Usually when I go to DR i stay for 6 months and when I decide to leave I just pay a fine and leave but I have been told that I can no longer do that.

Anybody knows about this?

Right now the government is paying the cost for ex-pats to get a residence card. You will need a passport, bank account and probably proof of a legal address in the DR. If you come here for 6 months at a time it would be advisable to get residency while the DR Gov is making it easy. It normally costs anywhere from $1200 and up to get temporary residency. Very bluntly you are stupid if you don't take advantage of this.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Does anyone know where the Office is in the Bavaro Area for the free residency ( the amnesty program).. I dont qualify but Im going to try since im here.. I have home, I have physical bills on paper here, and I have a car, a fixed address. Want to give it a shot.. And I'll let you all know. But nobody here Ive talked with in the Bavaro area knows where the office is? Thanks!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have been told to get the resident card will be free.However I still don't know where in SD you need to go to get this card.

Do you know how long we will be able to stay in SD if we don't have this resident card?

First off, the general consensus is that there is a push by the Govt to change the way visitors are dealt with in the DR. In the past, you arrived, got a tourist card that allowed you to stay legally for a period of time and then you were supposed to go home. Many foreigners choose to stay longer than allowed as a "tourist" and paid the fine when they left. The amount of the fine was usually not a burden or a deterrent for most foreign travellers. So much so that many foreigners rented property, moved in and never left except for the occasional short term trip home and then they returned to their lives in the DR.

I get the feeling that this situation is going to change. The Govt has indicated that they want to crack down on foreigners who overstay their tourist visas. No one really knows what is going on and when any changes will take effect or be enforced.

Basically, if you wish to visit the DR legally, you can come as a tourist and stay for up to 30 days. It may be possible to obtain a legal extension or maybe not. If you wish to stay longer, in effect reside in the DR for periods longer than 30 days, you will be classified as a temporary resident, permanent resident or some other as yet undefined designation. To do this legally, you will need to apply for and receive a resident card or visa.

Currently, the process for foreigners to apply for residency begins in their home country. Contact your local DR embassy for more info. Foreigners who are already living in the DR illegally, can apply for residency without leaving and the Govt may cover the administrative cost of this application but it is far from "free". You still need to supply legalized documents attesting to your good character, marriage certificates, birth certificates, medical exams etc. All of these cost money to get.

You may well be able to come to the DR this year, stay six months, pay the fine when you leave and everything may be just dandy. This may not be the case next year or it may change sometime while you are here. The reality is that overstaying your tourist visa has never been legal. It has in the past been a cheap and consequence free way to spend an extended period of time in the country. At some point in time, "illegals" who are identified may be detained and deported. Once you are deported, you probably wont be allowed to reenter the DR and every immigration officer you encounter at every airport you transit through in the future will know that you are a deportee and this may have an effect on your ability to enter some countries.

The long and the short of it is, conduct yourself in a manner that is consistent with the laws of the country you are visiting, or be prepared to face the consequences, maybe, sometime, but probably not, no one knows for sure right now.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You still need to supply legalized documents attesting to your good character, marriage certificates, birth certificates, medical exams etc.

According to the forms which are shown on the other thread that has been going so long, you don't necessarily need these things if you can provide all the other documents and proof of residency since before 2011 that they are requesting. I am waiting to confirm this if and when they actually get around to opening the Puerto Plata office.

For anyone coming here now it seems you don't have to worry until next year, as the current "amnesty" is available until May and nothing will change until then. Even then, according to PICHARDO, who seems to know, there will be some new scheme available for "snowbirds" and the like.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013

Well, take it or leave it guys! This is their country! they can decide what they want! If you dont want it, well you know what to do! I would know what to do

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, take it or leave it guys! This is their country! they can decide what they want! If you dont want it, well you know what to do! I would know what to do

Let these idiots do that! I am a tourist visiting your country. Instead of attracting me, enticing me to come back, you are pushing me away! Good strategy!

Show me another country that you would visit that allows you to overstay your visa.

Up to now, nobody knows what will happen, so we have to wait for official word on how long term visitor/vacationers are going to be affected. Anything else is just conjecture.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Right now the government is paying the cost for ex-pats to get a residence card. You will need a passport, bank account and probably proof of a legal address in the DR. If you come here for 6 months at a time it would be advisable to get residency while the DR Gov is making it easy. It normally costs anywhere from $1200 and up to get temporary residency. Very bluntly you are stupid if you don't take advantage of this.

Can this be done on your own? Where do I go to apply?