Churches?

Sofia&Anders

Jun 28, 2014
Hi! Do you guys know of any churches with services in English in las Terrenas or Cabarete? We're Protestant/Lutheran/evangelical/pseudo pentecostal/cryptocatholic so denomination is of lesser interest. (...although I'm an Evangelical Lutheran pastor). Same Christ, right?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi! Do you guys know of any churches with services in English in las Terrenas or Cabarete? We're Protestant/Lutheran/evangelical/pseudo pentecostal/cryptocatholic so denomination is of lesser interest. (...although I'm an Evangelical Lutheran pastor). Same Christ, right?

In Las Terrenas you may find a church service in French or Italian or Spanish but I doubt you will find one in English. As they say when in Rome. I don't think your god will have any objections to a service in another language. Christ didn't speak English either so go with the flow.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks! Someone knows something about the LT area?

You can check out info for LT at lasterrenaslive.com or lt7.com on line which is the bi-weekly local paper. Unfortunately it is in Spanish and French but it will give you info on restaurants and rentals. What specifically do you want to know? There is a wealth of info on the internet about LT and the Samana Peninsula.

Sofia&Anders

Jun 28, 2014
In Las Terrenas you may find a church service in French or Italian or Spanish but I doubt you will find one in English. As they say when in Rome. I don't think your god will have any objections to a service in another language. Christ didn't speak English either so go with the flow.
Ha, ha! :)
The problem isn't really mine (I speak French and Spanish) nor God's. I think He gets by in most languages (except maybe Finnish - that should be tough even for Him!) . However, my husband probably would fall asleep after the first 15 minutes. But, surely we'll check some of the local churches. As you said: When in Rome...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I know that there is a big Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall in Las Terrenas, where they do speak English.. not perhaps in the services but some of the elders. Not that that is really an Evangelical Lutheran like service but they are there. Samana, in fact, is the only predominantly Protestant province in the country so that you will find a lot of little churches in Las Terrenas. In fact, there was not even a Catholic church untill just recently when the owner of Balcones de Atlantico did a land swap with the government .. he built a Catholic church and a Navy station and they gave him the beach.. against all laws but the way thngs work.
Your husband may fall asleep in a Haitian church = I think that there are 5 of them there.. but he may also fall asleep on the three to five hour drive to the English services in Sosua.

Grow where you are planted.. is the expression that I was taught.

(that being said, I lived in LT for two years but found I could not root and moved!)

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Eli:
What a meaningful and beautiful expression. "Grow where you are planted".
thanks
Lucille

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Must be Quaker, they are full of great expressions. Two that I have really used in life are "When you pray, move your feet " and "Way will open"

wise folks, those Quaker elders. (and not all of them older than me, they pride themselves on not being ageist so often there are 20 somethings on Ministry and Counsel as they are recognized as being spiritually advanced)