Is there preferred brand of deli?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I've been buying our deli at Nacional but I wonder if there's preferred brand I can ask for. The ham I buy is kind of salty for me.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a supermarket across the street from el Nacional called el Tesoro. The owner had a supermarket in NYC and has a good selection of hams and cheeses. Also, you can try La Sirena and El Bravo right down the street from both of them. I'm sure you will find something to your liking there. Currently I am buying Harrison ham at El Tesoro at RD150 a lb.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like jamon campo frio (like donP suggested) and jamon bolo chef. the rest is not really great. here in POP when we see new products we can ask for a free slice to try, i think nacional also allows this.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
There is a supermarket across the street from el Nacional called el Tesoro. The owner had a supermarket in NYC and has a good selection of hams and cheeses. Also, you can try La Sirena and El Bravo right down the street from both of them. I'm sure you will find something to your liking there. Currently I am buying Harrison ham at El Tesoro at RD150 a lb.

I know El Tesero. We used to go there when we first came because Koreans says they had best cabbage. I have never checked out their deli section and with decent quality of cabbage at Nacional we rarely go there any more but I guess I have reason to now.

How about the Supermercado Central near old Nacional? My wife hates it there because she said every employee is rude, but it seems like a decent looking to shop. It remind me of old Italian grocery store near my house.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know El Tesero. We used to go there when we first came because Koreans says they had best cabbage. I have never checked out their deli section and with decent quality of cabbage at Nacional we rarely go there any more but I guess I have reason to now.

How about the Supermercado Central near old Nacional? My wife hates it there because she said every employee is rude, but it seems like a decent looking to shop. It remind me of old Italian grocery store near my house.

They don't have a large selection. Apart from El Nacional La Sirena and El Bravo seem to have the largest selection.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on a side note: campo frio is a brand. the best ham they have is big and rectangular with gelatin-like border. you will know when you see it.
lately i've been contemplating driving to the german butcher in sosua to get our deli. the difference in quality is very clear. just a thought for you when you are in the area.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm with "JD"!!!!!!!
Ask for a "Taste" first, if you don't like it,"Taste" something different.
It's "OK", they want to help you.
Ask for it in thin slices, "Muy Fina", I like that better.
I would kill someone for some deli cut "Land-O-Lakes" white chedder!!!!
On an "Onion Roll"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
I like Cacerio Cocido, it has a real ham taste, not flour filled like most of the cuts sold in the DR.

jam%C3%B3n-cocido-Caser%C3%ADo1.jpg

Also Bolo Chef is good.

0309060701C.jpg

For cheeses, I like Michel Danes, it melts well for a tasty cheese-and-pepperoni panini. For me, it has the best taste of all Danes-style cheeses sold here in Higuey, and as a bonus, it is just right sized for paninis and sandwiches.

image_7505.jpg

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
For ham, I always buy Caserio Cocido . Good basic ham, with a decent price.
I think this is what I had couple of weeks ago. I don't know which one we got but ones that we got couple of days ago is too salty for us.

I'm with "JD"!!!!!!!
Ask for a "Taste" first, if you don't like it,"Taste" something different.
It's "OK", they want to help you.
Ask for it in thin slices, "Muy Fina", I like that better.
I would kill someone for some deli cut "Land-O-Lakes" white chedder!!!!
On an "Onion Roll"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I will ask for taste when I go next time, I got to stop asking for Jamon 1 libre.
Muy fina is the way I like it too, thinner the better!

I like Cacerio Cocido, it has a real ham taste, not flour filled like most of the cuts sold in the DR.

jam%C3%B3n-cocido-Caser%C3%ADo1.jpg

Also Bolo Chef is good.

0309060701C.jpg

For cheeses, I like Michel Danes, it melts well for a tasty cheese-and-pepperoni panini. For me, it has the best taste of all Danes-style cheeses sold here in Higuey, and as a bonus, it is just right sized for paninis and sandwiches.

image_7505.jpg

Thanks for the cheese advise. After horror of watching the cheese melting into hamburger, I just played safe and picked up Kraft. It would be nice to have proper cheese.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
on a side note: campo frio is a brand. the best ham they have is big and rectangular with gelatin-like border. you will know when you see it.
lately i've been contemplating driving to the german butcher in sosua to get our deli. the difference in quality is very clear. just a thought for you when you are in the area.

Since our family have all our birthdays with in month period, I usually make a trip near my wife birthday. Which is the last one to be celebrated. I am thinking another trip to Ibrostar/Be Live up north or be close to home in Jarabacoa. If I do go up north, I will ask for direction. Every time we go we always stop by Gordito's/Yamazato anyways. I might as bring a small icebox and get some quality deli and seafood if possible.