Sosua: Where can I buy these foods?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
So I sent someone into Playero and there were some things either not there or ridiculous prices. Hoping for some help. Where can I buy:

- Chick peas
- Granola
- Pita Bread
- Bagels in bulk
- Canned oranges

I am talking grocery store prices or bakery possibly compatiable with grocery store type prices. Chick peas is the biggest problem on the list

Aug 6, 2006
Chick peas are called garbanzos. I am not familiar with Playero, but I have seen them both dried (with the beans) and canned (with the canned beans).

Mandarin oranges are sold canned pretty much everywhere: they are called mandarinas (en lata).

Pita bread is generally available at Lebanese/ Palestinian stores. I can't recall seeing a bagel outside of Santo Domingo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the granola won't please you...

need to 'go with the flow' here Jewell..... think local substitutes........plenty of 'em

I found leeks today.... beauties !!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
All the large supermarkets - Pola/Sirena, Nacional, Bravo, Cadena, etc. sell pita bread: the main local brands are La Libanesa and Tierra Santa, and imported brands too. Tierra Santa is the best quality.

Garbanzos (chickpeas) are also sold in most supermarkets, dried, in cans and sometimes in glass jars.

Most supermarkets have a choice of granola.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I make a bean salad every week with chick peas I buy at Playero. I am going to make it tomorrow, I will post the price.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
So I sent someone into Playero and there were some things either not there or ridiculous prices. Hoping for some help. Where can I buy:

- Chick peas
- Granola
- Pita Bread
- Bagels in bulk
- Canned oranges

I am talking grocery store prices or bakery possibly compatiable with grocery store type prices. Chick peas is the biggest problem on the list

I read your other ppst regarding "Healthy Lifestyle" . When reading this new thread, I have to mention that your list other than chik peas is empty carbs and sugars.. the caned oranges are sold in heave syrup consisting of mainly corn syrup as sweetener. I have to ask why would you eat this stuff if you are into eating healthy??

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

- Chick peas
- Granola
- Pita Bread
- Bagels in bulk
- Canned oranges

They have all those items at Playero

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Why would anyone wish for canned oranges? They are a good food before packing them in sugar water. That ruins their food value.

I like to make quicky yogurt parfait for breakfast with granola and manderines.... good enough?

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I make a bean salad every week with chick peas I buy at Playero. I am going to make it tomorrow, I will post the price.

Thank you. I am determined not to gain 1lb on my next month down - in fact drop some. I was trying to determine how much heavy food I have to jam in my suit case. lol

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thank you. I am determined not to gain 1lb on my next month down - in fact drop some. I was trying to determine how much heavy food I have to jam in my suit case. lol

Keep posting 24 posts a day about canned fruit, and you'll be 250 lbs by the end of next week.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I read your other ppst regarding "Healthy Lifestyle" . When reading this new thread, I have to mention that your list other than chik peas is empty carbs and sugars.. the caned oranges are sold in heave syrup consisting of mainly corn syrup as sweetener. I have to ask why would you eat this stuff if you are into eating healthy??

1) I am not the only person who eats in my home when I am down there - that said I like green salads with chick peas, I like pita with grilled chicken and veggies, I like granola in my yogurt.
2) Regarding my business I will offer options for people who are health freaks and ALSO who are not
3) I like to have a bit of everything in my diet
4) What I eat resulted in a healthy 60lb weight loss in less than a year

I don't pretend to be something I am not - If you read my other thread my sister is a hyper health nut, personal trainer - who by the way lost over 100lbs in 2 years. I tow more middle of the road and do my best to be realistic with my lifestyle while doing my best to keep healthy.

Oh and FYI - in Canada canned oranges are sold in water, pita is sold in whole grain --- all of which are far better than eating 2 chunks of fried chicken and a mountain of oiled and salted rice as what is readily available as a quick meal to go currently in Sosua.

If I open a place selling nuts and seeds unfortunately I wont be attracting too much business!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
1) If I open a place selling nuts and seeds unfortunately I wont be attracting too much business!

You would definitely have mine....................
Love salads with nuts and seeds..............
Does that make me a girly man............:nervous:

B in Santiago

Aug 6, 2006
Salads in Latin America tend to be rather boring: tomatoes and lettuce with an occasional onion and vinegar and oil. Spaniards are pretty good with salads, I have noticed. I like a variety of veggies sliced on my trusty mandolin.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Salads in Latin America tend to be rather boring: tomatoes and lettuce with an occasional onion and vinegar and oil. Spaniards are pretty good with salads, I have noticed. I like a variety of veggies sliced on my trusty mandolin.

I find the same - here you can have every different salad you can imagine. What are you favourite salads and why? I'd like to know because I make a lot of salads in the house and I am always game to learn something new.