Wheelchair Van: Build in DR or Import from USA?

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
As some of you know from previous posts, I'm planning a move to the DR sometime in the next 12-18 months if all goes as planned.

I use an electric wheelchair, and having a modified van for my wheelchair is essential to my freedom. From my research, I know unicorns are more common on the island than wheelchair vans.

So, I have two choices:

1) Buy a Toyota Sienna, have it modified here, wait the required 12 months, and import it after my move.

2) Buy a used Toyota HiAce (or something like it) once I'm over there, then find a local body shop to install a ramp and tie-down system imported from the U.S.

I'm aware of the import rules. I know the vehicle must be 6 cylinders or less, owned in my name for at least 12 months, and be less than 5 years old.

The primary benefit of #1 would be quality (the van conversions here in the U.S. are top notch.) The risk is unknown customs fees on a minivan with such modifications.

The benefit of #2 would be maintainability, and maybe price. It should be easy to get repairs locally if that's where the original work was done. The risk is in the communication barrier (Yo s? un poco de espa?ol, pero s?lo un poco), and possibly choosing a bad shop that does shoddy work.

Any thoughts? Advice is appreciated.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I believe the 'must be owned for 12 months' rule only applies if you plan on importing a vehicle after you apply for residency and want the new resident tax break. Are you planning on doing your residency right away?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My advice is to get the simplest and sturdiest one that completely stores within the interior of the vehicle. The ones located on the undercarriage could be easily damaged by a pothole. Also, these types have the advantage of easy access for repair. Regarding repair I would ask the mfr what parts generally wear out first and buy a few as opposed to try to find a mechanic who knows who to work on one. Good luck.

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
I believe the 'must be owned for 12 months' rule only applies if you plan on importing a vehicle after you apply for residency and want the new resident tax break. Are you planning on doing your residency right away?

That was my plan, yes. Are the savings from the new resident tax break significant, or negligible?

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
My advice is to get the simplest and sturdiest one that completely stores within the interior of the vehicle. The ones located on the undercarriage could be easily damaged by a pothole. Also, these types have the advantage of easy access for repair. Regarding repair I would ask the mfr what parts generally wear out first and buy a few as opposed to try to find a mechanic who knows who to work on one. Good luck.

Chip,

I agree 110%. My van here has an in-floor ramp, but I was planning on a fold-out for my van in DR, with ease of maintenance being the primary reason.

And yeah, I learned all about the road quality on my trip to Sosua last year. My van here has been lowered; it doesn't have the ground clearance to survive over there.

Thanks for the great advice!

Jan 9, 2004
Chip,

I agree 110%. My van here has an in-floor ramp, but I was planning on a fold-out for my van in DR, with ease of maintenance being the primary reason.

And yeah, I learned all about the road quality on my trip to Sosua last year. My van here has been lowered; it doesn't have the ground clearance to survive over there.

Thanks for the great advice!

There is a law for importing vehicles for disabled persons resulting in lowered taxes due. Although I have imported several cars over the years, I do not have any experience or knowledge how much of a tax savings you get.

As an aside, all the handicapped spots at Pricesmart in Santiago today were taken by Prados and Range Rovers!

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The tax on importing as a new resident offers a reduced rate... not 0 %

so you will save a few thousand....

I think it all depends on your comfort level... having a 'ready built' in the US or anticipating a good build here in RD.

The work here can be very good and, yes , cheaper.

They import wrecks, repair them and sell them

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here is my advice.
Don't do Either One!!!!!!!!
You need to spend at least several months living here BEFORE the expense of a vehicle.
You may not last very long here.
I don't say that because you use a wheelchair, but because it is the same for everyone who comes here.
What seemed like a great idea during a DR Vacation,often turns out not to be the case.
Don't try solving a problem before you actually know what the problems will be.
After six months, re evaluate.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
As some of you know from previous posts, I'm planning a move to the DR sometime in the next 12-18 months if all goes as planned.

I use an electric wheelchair, and having a modified van for my wheelchair is essential to my freedom. From my research, I know unicorns are more common on the island than wheelchair vans.

So, I have two choices:

1) Buy a Toyota Sienna, have it modified here, wait the required 12 months, and import it after my move.

2) Buy a used Toyota HiAce (or something like it) once I'm over there, then find a local body shop to install a ramp and tie-down system imported from the U.S.

I'm aware of the import rules. I know the vehicle must be 6 cylinders or less, owned in my name for at least 12 months, and be less than 5 years old.

The primary benefit of #1 would be quality (the van conversions here in the U.S. are top notch.) The risk is unknown customs fees on a minivan with such modifications.

The benefit of #2 would be maintainability, and maybe price. It should be easy to get repairs locally if that's where the original work was done. The risk is in the communication barrier (Yo s? un poco de espa?ol, pero s?lo un poco), and possibly choosing a bad shop that does shoddy work.

Any thoughts? Advice is appreciated.

In the DR:

https://www.facebook.com/luischassis.performancerrd

http://hoy.com.do/elprimer-servicio-de-taxi-parapersonas-con-discapacidad/

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Both ways are O.K. as long as you do follow CCCCCCCC's advice and first test the waters before you embark on such long term expense...

God! I can't believe I wrote that about CCCCCCCCCC!!!! I'm turning too soft!

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014

I contacted the second guy, Jose Heredia, and he wanted $450 dollars (not pesos) to do an airport transfer to my hotel. A few rides with him and I could have bought my own van, at those prices.

I get it; he's a monopoly and can charge what he wants. But, not a viable option for regular use.

It's a shame, if he'd given me a fair price I'd have used him weekly.

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Here is my advice.
Don't do Either One!!!!!!!!
You need to spend at least several months living here BEFORE the expense of a vehicle.
You may not last very long here.
I don't say that because you use a wheelchair, but because it is the same for everyone who comes here.
What seemed like a great idea during a DR Vacation,often turns out not to be the case.
Don't try solving a problem before you actually know what the problems will be.
After six months, re evaluate.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Great advice, but not practical in my situation.

The entire six-month wait would be spent at home. No trips to the grocery store. No ability to go to the bank. No going out to eat at restaurants... just sitting at home all day.

I'd go home, guaranteed, just from boredom.

I'd rather risk it, get the van, and be able to experience "life" in full in the D.R. instead of being stuck at home. If I decide to go back to the U.S., I'll just sell the van and eat the loss. It's only money.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Lift Platform

Please bear with me, I know nothing about wheelchairs...

But, could this not work:
You buy a minibus here in the Dominican Republic and have this (or similar) shipped over here:

Amazon.com: Side Door Hybrid Platform Lift: Health & Personal Care

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...ptions.com%2Ffullsizevanlifts-all.php;280;361

I am certain, any good mechanic can install this in your minibus.

If your DR adventure does not pan out, you sell the converted minibus and may even make a plus. ;)

donP

Last edited:

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
Please bear with me, I know nothing about wheelchairs...

But, could this not work:
You buy a minibus here in the Dominican Republic and have this (or similar) shipped over here:

Amazon.com: Side Door Hybrid Platform Lift: Health & Personal Care

https://www.google.com/search?q=whe...ptions.com%2Ffullsizevanlifts-all.php;280;361

I am certain, any good mechanic can install this in your minibus.

If your DR adventure does not pan out, you sell the converted minibus and may even make a plus. ;)

donP

That's pretty much my plan, at this point, donP.

A minibus plus something like you posted, or Portable Ramps | Van Ramps| Wheelchair Ramps | Roll-A-Ramp | Aluminum Ramp could work really well.

And, if Sr. Heredia is getting $450 per airport transfer, an adapted van should be a hot commodity!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why not skip all this altogether? you are a small dude, you said so. rent/buy a normal car. hire a driver (cheap). get a basic folded wheelchair for trips like that. the driver can pack you in and out of the car, roll you around where you need to go. voila. for shorter trips you whip out fancier wheelchair you wrote about. no fuss, no mess. in 6 months you will know if you want to stay or go and you will be able to do it without compromise.

WheeledOne

May 28, 2014
why not skip all this altogether? you are a small dude, you said so. rent/buy a normal car. hire a driver (cheap). get a basic folded wheelchair for trips like that. the driver can pack you in and out of the car, roll you around where you need to go. voila. for shorter trips you whip out fancier wheelchair you wrote about. no fuss, no mess. in 6 months you will know if you want to stay or go and you will be able to do it without compromise.

Because I'm very weak, and I've been disabled from birth, my body is not capable of sitting in those kinds of chairs.

My chair has very custom seating that supports my body and helps me sit. I'd need a similar manual chair. And those don't fold well, due to the custom seating.

Great idea, though! I'll talk to my chair guy about whether we could get something that would work for me and fold.