using bank cards in sosua

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
we hope to use our credit card and debit card whilst we are holidaying in sosua,advice please, where is best place/bank to use it
thank you in advance
Trudy

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Hello Trudy,

What country were the cards issued..........
If they weren't issued in the Dominican Republic.................
DO NOT USE HERE.............PERIOD....
You will get quite a few replies on your question.........

B in Santiago

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Gert51,
The Team usually use ONLY Scotia Bank in Cabarete or Puerto Plata with a UK Mastercard. Visa doesn't seem to work so well.

You pay a fee but the exchange rate is quite good. Limit is RD$10,000 or about ?140 and the $ signs on the cash machines mean RD$ not US Dollars.

HTH

Olly and the Team

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
In my experience credit card fraud was a huge issue here. In 2013 I had at least 4 credit and debit cards cloned. Luckily all charges were refunded quickly but it was a huge hassle dealing with getting new cards. That said, it's now been 9 months since anything has happened with my cards and I use them frequently at banks and retail establishments. Maybe it's just dumb luck but it seems to me that they've somehow cracked down on the fraud issues in the DR.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
In my experience credit card fraud was a huge issue here. In 2013 I had at least 4 credit and debit cards cloned. Luckily all charges were refunded quickly but it was a huge hassle dealing with getting new cards. That said, it's now been 9 months since anything has happened with my cards and I use them frequently at banks and retail establishments. Maybe it's just dumb luck but it seems to me that they've somehow cracked down on the fraud issues in the DR.

Long overdue..........
With all the Credit Card fraud talked about here in the past...........
And ONLY with out of country cards.............
I have never used my U.S. Visa here..........and never will....
Played it safe and years ago received a Popular Visa, and NEVER a problem.........
Knock on wood...........

B in Santiago

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
make sure bank is open when using atm so you can go inside and retrive card if machine don't give it back.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
make sure bank is open when using atm so you can go inside and retrive card if machine don't give it back.

A little safer to use the ATM card @ the teller to get cash, if it is an ATM card the same bank charges would apply on the other end and less risk of being "skimmed".

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I use my US Bank debit card all the time, for purchases and the ATM. I use the ATM at the pharmacy across from Playero. Haven't had a problem... yet.

Just don't use an ATM that takes the card. If you do, grab it right away when it spits it out. Also, you can go into a bank and get a cash advance, up to RD$20,000, as long as the card has the last four digits of your credit card number printed on the back by the signature line. You'll also need your passport.

This has been my experience.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
If by chance your card is issued by Lloyds Bank in the UK I would not use it here.

In my experience Lloyds will cancel any card used in the DR, even if you advise them beforehand.

FB

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
While I completely agree with others that the safest way to go is to not to use any foreign-issued card here, the way I have found it safe, when I need to withdraw from a foreign account, is to only use prepaid credit card or debit card with a separate account. That way you won?t have issues with fraudulent charges as you obviously empty the account/prepaid credit at withdrawal nor you have to check your accounts daily.

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
I've had problems using my scotia bank card in sosua.
Do prepaid visa work? From Canada?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
yes my card does have the last 4 numbers so think i might just go into the back to withdraw money thank you

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We use our US credit and debit cards all the time. However use the ATMs attached to a bank during banking hours incase of problem. We use the Scotia bank in Cabarete when we need to get cash. The only problem we have had was with our local (Dominican) visa when someone at ede Norte stole the number and tried to pay a $400,000 peso bill at ede Norte with it. The bank refused the transaction, notified me, put a stop on the card and issued me a new one that I got in just under 48 hours. So no big deal.

MAKE SURE you notify your home bank of your travel plans or they WILL put a hold on your card with the first use fearing fraud. So let them know where you are and for how long you are going to be here.

Bob K

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Gert,

I am not a resident but have used my debitcard for many years around the DR, including in Sosua.

There is a big Banco Popular office right across from a small park that i've had good experience with.

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
I always use mine at La Sirena and never had a problem. But I would not use it anywhere where the card is out of my sight.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Credit card fraud of BOTH domestic and foreign credit cards is a huge issue here. It does not matter where you use the cards, it is the clearing house that has people stealing the credit card information and making additional charges. My wife recently canceled her local car when the refused to remove charges on her BanReservas card because the bank said she made them. We were out of the country when the charges were made in Santiago at locations we never ever visited.

So, beware of using any credit card any time here. Always check your charges on line daily if you must use them.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
My UK bank cards now only works on Banco Popular in Sosua, it started a year and half ago (also after Scotia Bank in Sosua closed). It was at no local charge before but from 1 July 2014 they now charge 175 pesos per transaction (which maximum is 10000), so I am hit with a 1.75% local tax on all my spending now, it was good while it lasted though !?

I believe most banks here do charge 120 pesos or so for foreign cards, so this is the norm here really.

You should be aware of your bank charges on top of that, sometime they add up, but for a short holiday it doesn't really matter.

A few tips:

- Inform your bank before you leave and say that you are going to DR - tell them 2/3 working days before (not the night you are leaving)
- Always go to ATM that is connected to the bank's own wall/office (never on a free standing machine in shops and supermarkets etc.) - try a few and see which works
- Go during bank's working hours
- Check ATM for any unusual devices or loose fitting, I actually touch and shake things a bit beforehand if a suspect looking machine
- Check no body comes right behind you or is too close
- Make sure there's a guard nearby with a uniform and a shotgun - and not many other people, suspicious characters etc.
- Never use your card to pay in shops/restaurants - they could clone it or use their own crazy exchange rates, get money from ATM and pay cash
- I always take maximum from the ATM and go straight back home to put it in a safe place, then take what cash I need and go out
- I don't like getting money with cards inside the bank from tellers - a crook bank employee is the worst offender for cloning
- Check your bank statement (online) regularly and watch for anything that you didn't withdraw ! This will also tell you how much your bank is (over)-charging you for each transaction

I have used various cards all over the world in this way over many years and never had my card cloned or had any issues.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
We have been travelling to Sosua for the past 4 years. We are Canadian and have used the Banco Santa Cruz ATM on Pedro Clsante frequently with no problems so far. Earlier this year we opened a peso and US account there to pay for a property. Although I have read about other posters issues on dr1 we have not encountered any. I also prefer to withdraw cash from the bank as you will find most places in Sosua do not take debit or credit cards. Also bring mosquito repellent!