History of Sosua

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Another thread morphed into sharing stories on the history of Sosua so I decided to start one dedicated to the topic. Please share your stories - 70's, 80's, 90's etc.... photos if you have any. This should be interesting. PeterInBrat - you should start by posting what you did in the other thread :)))

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I mean personal history.

I first visited Sosua on a snorkel tour in 2001. A young single Canadian (kind of chubby like what PIB described), I met what came to be my first and last sanky boyfriend at Classico ironically. Charamicos looked much as it does today, as did the Batey - though less chica's and old men and far more early 20 somethings (DR was the cheapest vacay around for Canadians at the time).

Batey looked much like it does now though there was (which I miss) a large open disco near Casa Marina which isn't there anymore.

I remember before I knew what a sanky was I was in the pool at El Colibri with mine and a Dominican American guy from NY walked by and said to him "hey.... Sanky Panky" and then my guy gave him 2 thumbs up. I asked "what does sanky panky mean" - he replied... "you know, like hanky panky".

Upon my return home from at that time which was my 5th or 6th trip --- I googled "what is a sanky panky" and behold DR1.com. I promptly dumped my Sanky - but that didn't mean I still didn't love Sosua.

The people, the restaurants, the beach... just loved it.

Moved down from 2003 - 2005 - worked in real estate but found it impossible to make money. Tried to run a disco bus tour, that didn't work either lol. Bought a pasola brand new which the mechanic promptly destroyed - I would go back to him day after day ranting about the bohia, fire and just about every problem this bloody thing had. On the 23rd day he handed my a capful of Brugal - I stopped swearing, sat down and took the shot. That day we made friends and he never broke my pasola again - he was in Charamicos and is still there today =) Many fun times at Bella Vista - still there, still the same.

Upon returning home married an American within a year and didn't return for 7 years. Upon learning that my husband was a cheating prick - I made my return (2013). Everything looked much the same in terms of streets, buildings etc... but noticed less normal tourists and more 'sex' tourists... still love it though. Found many of my old friends still there and many more good times.

I now live between Sosua and Toronto - a business does not permit me to make a full and complete move.

That's my history in Sosua.

I am interested to hear stories from the 80's and 90's with pics if you have... what was there... how the people were... how things are different, if you think they are...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I found a photo from that day in 1977, Mr. AE on Sosua Beach. Even our driftwood chairs. Now that I look closer, there was someone in the water.

PD0038.jpg

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I was just thinking - 1) that pic is really cool and 2) quite a babe jajajaja Thanks for the share. It's funny how much the beach ignoring everything around it looks the same. You would think over 30 years that it would have changed.