In Search Of a Used Car For Sale in Las Terrenas

scronster

May 13, 2013
I will be moving to LT in late August and will need to buy a used car in excellent shape. Does anyone know the set way to go about doing that?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
2nd Hand Car

I will be moving to LT in late August and will need to buy a used car in excellent shape. Does anyone know the set way to go about doing that?

There are (at least three) used car sellers in LT and there are always gringos who leave the country and advertise (LT7 local paper).
Moca/Santiago are said to have the best offers.
Carfax and other checks are due diligence.

donP

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
There are (at least three) used car sellers in LT and there are always gringos who leave the country and advertise (LT7 local paper).
Moca/Santiago are said to have the best offers.
Carfax and other checks are due diligence.

donP

We (Dominicans) are a tad stupid compared to you, but we rather buy a used car from somebody who's not going to be "gone" in a few out of the country, unless we know somebody (local) that can back them up...

That's the reason why "going out of business" sales don't do good in the DR.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Miami Auto Mafia

We (Dominicans) ... rather buy a used car from somebody who's not going to be "gone" in a few out of the country, unless we know somebody (local) that can back them up...

Hahaha,.....
You can buy your car from whomever you want, I do not care.

When (and if) I sell my car, it will have had regular service, oil changed at regular intervals, true kms on the odometer, no hidden accidents, clean papers, original paint and Isuzu parts in it, a clean interior, etc.
{It's true, I may have left the country when you drive it...}

Dominican (imported) used cars (of course, not all) are known to have odometers rolled back (always to about 85,000 kms... :classic: ), a bad maintenance record, missing parts (computers, air bags....), accidents,
and quite often shady papers...

A local back up???? :p
You mean somebody who says "I swear I did not know about the saw dust in the transmission" :p :p

donP

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hahaha,.....
You can buy your car from whomever you want, I do not care.

When (and if) I sell my car, it will have had regular service, oil changed at regular intervals, true kms on the odometer, no hidden accidents, clean papers, original paint and Isuzu parts in it, a clean interior, etc.
{It's true, I may have left the country when you drive it...}

Dominican (imported) used cars (of course, not all) are known to have odometers rolled back (always to about 85,000 kms... :classic: ), a bad maintenance record, missing parts (computers, air bags....), accidents,
and quite often shady papers...

A local back up???? :p
You mean somebody who says "I swear I did not know about the saw dust in the transmission" :p :p

donP

I kid you not!

"Se vende vehiculo en (excellent) condiciones, por motivo de viaje" it's the first let down for a Dominican buyer...

Same for going out of biz sales...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ni Loco

"Se vende vehiculo en (excellent) condiciones, por motivo de viaje" it's the first let down for a Dominican buyer...

Understandable, as this is one of the typical (Dominican) lies, before they get on a 'yola'... :classic:

Whatever.
At least once a month we get asked (by Dominicans) if we want to sell our car (Isuzu pickup, 4x4, 2003).
When I tell them to rather buy a more recent model from a Dominican, they tell me 'ni loco' .... :p
Stupid, aren't they?

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
PICHARDO's Glorifications

You want the former owner to be near for what purpose? I don't understand at all.

Hmm, maybe for the very same purpose because someone who is far (like he is from his home country) cannot be believed or held responsible for his extolments... :classic:

So, would I buy a car from him???????????????? :cross-eye

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Go on line to lt7.com. This is the bi-weekly LT newspaper. They have a classified section and quite often vehicles are listed for sale. Of course, when you get there check out the vehicle with a test drive and if you want a good mechanic's opinion take it to Charlie Auto Repair. I don't remember the name of the street but it is one block past Plaza Italia. Take a left turn and go up the block. You can't miss the sign. The process for buying a used car from a private individual is fairly complicated compared to North America. If you can afford it hire an attorney to do this. If you do it yourself you will need the following from the seller. A sales agreement drawn up by the seller's attorney. A document from the local police showing the car has a legal history and is not stolen. The current title and registration from the seller and your proof of car insurance. You or an attorney must then take it to Santo Domingo to be processed and have the title changed in your name. Like I said it is much easy, especially if you are new to the DR, to pay an attorney to do this. Good luck.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If possible buy it from a gringo. Doms do not change oil or spend on maintemance. They drive em till they quit them fix as cheaply as possible

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Still looking for a car... Arriving in LT on 8/23. Does anyone know of anything for sale?

First of all, where are you moving from? I would suggest you get settled in LT before you start worrying about a vehicle. What is wrong with renting a vehicle for a couple of weeks? You seem to be putting the cart before the horse? It is really not possible to do this without having feet on the ground. The process is much more involved and there are rip off artists so beware.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Agreed.

Took me 1 month to decide wich car to buy, did many roadtrip to Santiago every week and i was already in DR for a while, take your time and do a lot of verification before buying. They are all gonna try to screw you as hard as they can.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Agreed.

Took me 1 month to decide wich car to buy, did many roadtrip to Santiago every week and i was already in DR for a while, take your time and do a lot of verification before buying. They are all gonna try to screw you as hard as they can.

they won't shag you if i look the car over before you buy it.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
are people really doing that? driving to dajabon or jimani and crossing over and getting their passports stamped?

The other option, if no residency, is a flight or ferry to PR, isn't it?

Trust me, I'm not saying it's a *good* idea, but it's a repeatable and reliable workaround.