Operation next week... What to expect ?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I have to have my breast implants replaced next week at the Bournigal Clinic in POP. I don't have a choice, 1 has leaked so I have to replace them. Anyway, they are 26 years old... Lol... I'm lucky they lasted that long...
I found a plastic surgeon in POP who's from Cuba so for me that's a big relief to start with. She's also a woman, so one more point in her corner...

I did all the tests requested by my Doctora, blood work, chest X-ray, check-up with a cardiologist and finally this morning and evaluation pre-anesthesia with the anesthesist.... It's a GO because I'm in perfect health...

My questions is what to expect as of the processus the morning of the operation. I have to be there at 6h30am. So then, what's gonna happend?
Will they give me a shot before going in the OR ?
What kind of pain killers will they give me after I wake up ?
I will leave the same day, more or less 2 hours after I'm awake...
Will they give me some pain killers to bring home or will I have a prescription ?
Also, what kind of pain killers to they prescribe after an operation ? Ampracet ? Percodan ? Oxy ? Morphine ?

If you have any past experience with an operation here, please let me know...

I'm not affraid of the operation, mostly affraid of having a lot of pain after and not having the good stuff to control it, at least for the first 2 days after the operation.

Thanks in advance...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I certainly hope you have addressed each of those questions with your surgeon & anesthesiologist. THEIR answers are what are important, not DR1ers...

Make 2 phone calls. Now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My questions is what to expect as of the processus the morning of the operation. I have to be there at 6h30am. So then, what's gonna happend?
Will they give me a shot before going in the OR ?
What kind of pain killers will they give me after I wake up ?
I will leave the same day, more or less 2 hours after I'm awake...
Will they give me some pain killers to bring home or will I have a prescription ?
Also, what kind of pain killers to they prescribe after an operation ? Ampracet ? Percodan ? Oxy ? Morphine ?

one, your last meal should be a day before. do not eat anything in the morning of the surgery.
two, realistically do not expect to be operated straight away and brace yourself for the wait.
three, all anesthesia is given on the operating table.
four, after you wake up you will get, at best, a shot of diclofenac (and an antibiotic).
five, INSIST ON STAYING THE NIGHT.
six, they will give you a prescription for pain meds, most likely more diclofenac, maybe tramadol.

and finally. i am all for plastic surgery and i will do it eventually but sure as hell i will never do it in POP. big mistake. go to santiago. doctors in POP are barely competent enough to treat livestock.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
dv8: That doctora has also an office in Santiago... And she's Cuban... that's a plus ++ in my book... and it's not my first rodeo with boobs procedure... It's just that it's been a long time... that's it.. Thanks for the info.

Cobraboy: I was just wondering, that's it... Asking questions to get people's experience...

But so far, all my visits at the clinic for the tests were great... Everyone was very Professional, polite, respectful... I have nothing to say against the health system here...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok then. just remember to insist on staying the night. the first 24 hours after the surgery are crucial. even if wherever you come from it is normal to be released from the hospital the same day you need to remember that DR does not have emergency infrastructure of first world countries.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If the Doctor also practices in Santiago you should have gone there (HOMS). Probably too late at this point...but I do agree with DV8 on staying at least the night. Heck I would stay as long as my insurance covers.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Agree with dv8 re pain relief. Make sure you discuss it beforehand. Diclofenac is all there is unless you make a big fuss (which I did when shot) and they will give you nubain (nalbuphine).

matilda

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Trust me to request the strongest stuff they have.... I know my way around pain killers...
And insurances don't pay since is plastic surgery... It's coming from my pocket... I would have to pay even in Qu?bec... at least here it's the third of the cost...

And I trust my doctora completely... So far I saw her 3 times in a 2 week period... She knows what she's doing...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
dv8: That doctora has also an office in Santiago... And she's Cuban... that's a plus ++ in my book... and it's not my first rodeo with boobs procedure... It's just that it's been a long time... that's it.. Thanks for the info.

Cobraboy: I was just wondering, that's it... Asking questions to get people's experience...

But so far, all my visits at the clinic for the tests were great... Everyone was very Professional, polite, respectful... I have nothing to say against the health system here...

Being Cuban is neither a plus or a minus. Good doctors are not decided by nationality and if you have been paying attention Cuban doctors rarely pass an American medical board. I think DV8 has given you splendid advice.

Trust me to request the strongest stuff they have.... I know my way around pain killers...
And insurances don't pay since is plastic surgery... It's coming from my pocket... I would have to pay even in Qu?bec... at least here it's the third of the cost...

And I trust my doctora completely... So far I saw her 3 times in a 2 week period... She knows what she's doing...

Have you seen/heard many good recommendations from others? I don't want to harp on this but I don't want you to die!

Pain meds are a total joke here, I am sure they won't give you what you actually need.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
They may not ask what your current medications are or take a medical history. In my case they didn't. You may be responsible for that. In my case I knew to discontinue anti coagulants 5 days prior.

I hope all goes well for you and that you will share your new wisdom.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
They may not ask what your current medications are or take a medical history. In my case they didn't. You may be responsible for that. In my case I knew to discontinue anti coagulants 5 days prior.

I hope all goes well for you and that you will share your new wisdom.

You have no idea the number of tests that she requested for me. Complete blood work, chest X-ray, visit with a cardiologist for a check-up and complete history, and finally an evaluation with the anesthesist.... First time that I had to submit to so many tests before an operation. In Qu?bec they only do the blood tests.... Very precise here before they operate on you...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I was told to go to Bournigal at 6:30 the day my fractured wrist was going to be set under general anesthesia. They forgot about me once I was moved into the OR waiting area. The didn't do the procedure until 6PM, and had to crack the cast within 2 hours because it was so tight my hand was blue, then white.

Please re - think this decision.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Tramadol? Is there not better choices or is this the drug of choice for the most part.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sad Cases

Please re - think this decision.

I second that.
There is quite a number of North American ladies who came down here to have plastic surgeries done.
Some of the sad 'results' were carried in newspaper reports... :cry:

Although every surgeon is different, there are 'doctors' who have only done a course in that field and the Dominican medical association warned patients about this.

I for one, would rather pay triple and have the operation done in civilisation.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Tramadol? Is there not better choices or is this the drug of choice for the most part.

generally dominican doctors do not like to prescribe strong pain killers. morphine derivatives are, of course, available for hospital use.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
generally dominican doctors do not like to prescribe strong pain killers. morphine derivatives are, of course, available for hospital use.

Tramadol became a controlled substance in NY recently. This opiate synthetic has many running to recovery in large amounts. Lots of people becoming hooked as a result of them getting Tramadol because other opiates were hard to get as they are controlled.