Lawyer in Batey to Register Business

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am looking for a competent lawyer to register a business for me and advise me of any licenses I may require as it relates to the type of business I am opening.

I do not want to use the lawyer most widely promoted in this forum or a standard gringo lawyer who is going to charge me through the roof.

The lawyer also does not need to be English speaking.

If anyone on here knows of one in Sosua Batey that would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes if you are fluent in Spanish it can be done quite easily. Search the forums for DIY incorporation, the process has not changed much since I wrote that thread,

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I spoke with a lawyer today in the Batey and here is what I was told:

- $1300 USD to incorporate including the name registration - takes 20 days
- $300 USD to get a permission to have a restaurant in the Batey from Tourismo in Santiago

Does this sound right?? What do you think about the price. This woman was able to quickly answer all my questions in English and seems competent. I just wasn't sure about the pricing. I will need to get the business registration completed within 2 weeks.

It didn't sound that easy - I was told a corporation would be required to get an Tourist permit and that a sole prop would not be a good idea???

My Spanish is pretty good and my guy is fluent (Dominican) but I was afraid if we did it wrong we would have a problem. Do you know where we would go to do this?

Any info that anyone has would be helpful.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Someone please tell me who I can go to, to get a fair price?? My guy said that is too expensive too - but his alternate choice was some lawyer in Montellano who lives overtop of a fish store. My guy he said its up to me what I do but he said that is ridiculous. I have no idea - I just want it done quickly and correctly. Is it true that if we open Tourismos will come to our place and give us a problem. I can see needing a tourist license for a bar or big restaurant - but a sandwich shop?

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Someone please tell me who I can go to, to get a fair price?? My guy said that is too expensive too - but his alternate choice was some lawyer in Montellano who lives overtop of a fish store. My guy he said its up to me what I do but he said that is ridiculous. I have no idea - I just want it done quickly and correctly. Is it true that if we open Tourismos will come to our place and give us a problem. I can see needing a tourist license for a bar or big restaurant - but a sandwich shop?

I PM'ed you.

inet

Aug 31, 2013
As for registering a commercial name (trademark) the cost is RD$ 4.755. They have a half decent website at
ONAPI where you can check for unavailable names, etc.

Feb 7, 2007
The problem is there is no way you can do this in under two weeks. Just a business name registration at ONAPI takes 10 business days, and that is so "fast" only if there is no objection (which most than likely there will be unless your name is very unique and conforms to the myriad of their incomprehensible rules for what is and what not acceptable which changes and depends on who is reviewing your application).

My last business name I had it "pre-checked" by a nice lady at signos distictivos at ONAPI who okayed it, then I proceeded to register it, the person in the same department who got the case, had it denied for lack of distinguishability , my phone conversation with him did not help, only to have that denial overturned by my quick action and contact with the head of department who has the final word and signs all approvals/rejections, who returned it back to him under opinion that it was distinguishable after all. So... again.. everything depends who has got your case. And any objection by ONAPI will require a trip to SD on your part to sign for the objection and submit a reply and new name proposal.

So do not count on doing it in under 2 weeks... a month or month and a half is a better bet.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i know is that a corporation needs to be registered in DGII:
Direccion General de Impuestos Internos

in POP they are located in the same building as passport office, a corner away from the cathedral. i suggest your guy checks directly with them. so it happens that ministerio de turismo is on a parallel street, exactly on the other side of the cathedral. two birds killed with one stone.

Feb 7, 2007
Process/Steps:

1. ONAPI (business name)
2. REGISTRO MERCANTIL (Camara de Comercio) (business register)
3. DGII - RNC # (tax number, tax office)
4. DGII - Comprobantes fiscales (official invoice numbers, tax office)
5. TSS Tesoreria de Seguridas Social (social security office, for social and health insurance of your employees)
6. MINISTERIO DE TRABAJO (registering your employees).

After steps 3 you can go to Turismo.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Why do I have to register the business name -- does it really matter? I see salons in town with JL's pic plastered in the window etc... jajaj

Here you can register a numbered company and then operating name? She said 10 days on the name, 10 days on the incorporation --- longer for Tourismo

But she said that if we register the business as long as we have applied with Tourismo and that is in process we can open.

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
The problem is there is no way you can do this in under two weeks. Just a business name registration at ONAPI takes 10 business days, and that is so "fast" only if there is no objection (which most than likely there will be unless your name is very unique and conforms to the myriad of their incomprehensible rules for what is and what not acceptable which changes and depends on who is reviewing your application).

My last business name I had it "pre-checked" by a nice lady at signos distictivos at ONAPI who okayed it, then I proceeded to register it, the person in the same department who got the case, had it denied for lack of distinguishability , my phone conversation with him did not help, only to have that denial overturned by my quick action and contact with the head of department who has the final word and signs all approvals/rejections, who returned it back to him under opinion that it was distinguishable after all. So... again.. everything depends who has got your case. And any objection by ONAPI will require a trip to SD on your part to sign for the objection and submit a reply and new name proposal.

So do not count on doing it in under 2 weeks... a month or month and a half is a better bet.

The same happened to a friend...

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
If you have no employees can you skip 5 and 6 until you do?
Does the lawyer get you the tax number?

Also so then:
ONAPI is in SantoDomingo?
Registro Mercantil is where?
Also where is DGII?

Process/Steps:

1. ONAPI (business name)
2. REGISTRO MERCANTIL (Camara de Comercio) (business register)
3. DGII - RNC # (tax number, tax office)
4. DGII - Comprobantes fiscales (official invoice numbers, tax office)
5. TSS Tesoreria de Seguridas Social (social security office, for social and health insurance of your employees)
6. MINISTERIO DE TRABAJO (registering your employees).

After steps 3 you can go to Turismo.

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
Why do I have to register the business name -- does it really matter? I see salons in town with JL's pic plastered in the window etc... jajaj

Here you can register a numbered company and then operating name? She said 10 days on the name, 10 days on the incorporation --- longer for Tourismo

But she said that if we register the business as long as we have applied with Tourismo and that is in process we can open.

Lately in Santiago the DGII has been harassing businesses that are not up to date with their tax payments. And I believe that it is worse in the tourist area where not only the DGII has a saying, but Sectur too.

Feb 7, 2007
You NEED a business name from ONAPI to have a proper legal entity established (SRL/EIRL/SAS). Some time ago you could get RNC# with just a cedula as a sole proprietorship without any business name registered, this is no longer possible.

ONAPI is in Santo Domingo and MAYBE in Santiago...check the website. onapi.gob.do
REGISTRO MERCANTIL would be in your local chamber of commerce in Puerto Plata.
DGII would be in Puerto Plata as well.