New driving law inforced (no cell use)

A

azb

In addition to handing out tickets to no-seatbelted drivers Amet (traffic police) is giving out tickets to people who talk on cell phones while driving. I was stopped yesterday for talking on my phone while I was stopped at a red light. Since the police man knew me some-what he let me go (any other circumstances, I would not have been so lucky).
Amet jumped off his bike and approached me as I was busy receiving the cell call. He read me the new law (article so and so); at first I was a bit confused then I realized of what he was talking about. Then he also realized that I knew him so he let me go with a warning and a handshake.
At first I was a bit surprised then I had realized for the first time that this country is beginning to resemble more and more like the 51st state.
What is next?.no drink and driving? Hahahaha (calm down all the politically correct citizens, I am only joking).
So be careful, always use seatbelts and avoid using cell phone while you drive. I would imagine the ticket would be about 500 pesos plus, all the hassle to get your license back.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: The next traffic law should be....

If it's not already in the books, the next traffic violations that should be enforced besides cell phone calls are carrying a dog or a baby or small child on your lap while you're driving. The are plenty of morons doing this already who cause delays and accidents in traffic.

E

ECH, M.D.

NO! The next driving law should be NOT TO DRIVE ON THE DAMN SIDEWALK AND RUN OVER PEDESTRIANS!!! I AM referring of course to the idiot motorcycle drivers who try to circumvent traffic by using the sidewalk. AND THE COPS TURN A BLIND EYE WHEN THEY DRIVE RIGHT BY THEM.

M

mkohn

What about the drivers

who lie on their stomachs on their motorcycles, cross their legs
behind them and race on the malecon? Within 15 minutes of our arrival, we saw that from the taxi window...
Isn't that already against the law?

T

Tony C.

The next traffic law should be that we are alowed to run over anybody who thinks up stupid, "FEEL GOOD" traffic laws like seatbelt and no cel phone use!

L

Loren

feel good laws

I love driving in the D.R. Where else can you speed by a cop in a volkswagen beetle knowing he won't do anything? If a cop tries to flag you over you can pretend like you're in the dukes of hazzard and get away. You can go the wrong way down streets and as fast as you want on the freeway. The only radar is at the airports. It is like a video game (except the crashes are real.) If you are in the country a horse might jump out at you and you have to dodge it. That always seems to happen out by guyacanes.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:police radar on Autovia Las Americas

I love to drive slow just before the radar cop on my way to Boca Chica and Juan Dolio and when I see the cop sticking his gun out I stop, then take a street start from 0-60mph and blow past the radar gun at 100mph! Then see if they take chase. They never do when they see what I drive.

E

ECH, M.D.

GOD LIVES IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

Because it is a full time job taking care of idiots like you describe on their motorcycles and race drivers!

L

Loren

Re:police radar on Autovia Las Americas

One time I stopped out at that gas station / pollo victorina out there on Las Americas near the aquarium to get some more rum and I saw the police on a motoconcho chase a car down and almost shoot the passengers right there in the parking lot where we were. I don't know what their beef was but I think it was a little more than speeding.

D

Duarte

Re: My vote to Candelier for chief of AMET

So you want to ruin about the only somewhat decent police institution in the DR. Candelier should have been in jail long time ago, for being a thief and encouraging murders. How about demilitarizing the police and putting Hamlet Herman, the organizer of AMET, in charge of it? Maybe we'd finally get rid of corrupt, uneducated, lack of service mentality cops. Jst about 99% of them.