!!!!!!!! Best Hospital for Pediatric Orthopedic Emergency !!!!!!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Help!

Where would you go for Peds Orthopedics in POP or Santiago.

HOMS?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
homs or clinica union, both in santiago. if really urgent i would go to clinica bournigal to get the kid stabilized and then travel to santiago.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Thanks. My wife went to CMC, just to get xrays and a diagnosis. Damn greenstick femur fracture. 18 month old. :-( They're splinting and admitting her. She says they've been good thus far. I'm waiting for copies of the xrays. I was just wondering where I should go if surgery was needed, or for a second opinion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow. get a second opinion as soon as you can. a child this small will not be able to clearly express what they feel: pain, discomfort, difficulty with this or that. and they still have sloppy movements so you cannot see if the leg is healing properly. also, femur is a supporting bone for the whole body, so any complications may be troublesome later on.
hope all goes well!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Yea, it's a fairly common break with a pretty good prognosis, but I am concerned they missed something. They are putting a cast on this morning, and giving my wife a DVD of the Xrays. Luckily, I work for a overseas medical staffing company, and they have a whole team waiting to look at the xrays for me.

They are saying the cast needs to be on for four weeks. I can't imagine how horrible it is going to be to keep an active toddler still not moving for four weeks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make sure that cast is big enough .... toddlers will not behave well and they need to immobilize more of the leg than with an older patient.

I cut my baby finger VERY badly - through the tendons at 3-4 yrs old.
They put a cast on my hand that went all the past my elbow to neutralize that little finger.... almost to my shoulder.

and they're hot those casts..... gets itchy under there
Its something I haven't forgotten............. to this day

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
drSix, I hope that everything turns out all right for your baby girl. Toddlers are very active
and usually with a greenstick femur fracture it is the result of trauma due to an injury.

Please keep us posted as to her progress.