Rental scams on foreigners

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Wife's sister just got an apt.

After contract was signed, the broker who represents the owner

Told her that since she does not have a "fiador" she has to pay

A year upfront for the rent.

This white berdugo had the audacity to tell her this while wearing

His sunglasses, which I almost punched off his face.

He said it is a"rule" in DR to have a guarantor.

When I told him that my apartment doesn't have a fiador,

He shrugged his white fat shoulders.

These people are something else.

There are rental signs everywhere, no one is coming

To this place, and they act "Rico"

They live on credit and act a role in front of the poor people.

What to do?

Does anyone have advice for my wife's sister?

I also want my apartment back where it's just me and my wife..

How do you bypass this fiador stuff?

I told my landlord I did not have a guarantor, and he was fine with it.

He just took 2 months security.

Is this case by case basis?

If someone can shed light on this, it would be great.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I think this is case by case - in fact I have never heard of this at all. I have rented several different apartments in DR over the years - both long term and short term. I have never had to pay anything more than a damage deposit.

Maybe she should look for another place... :S

Wife's sister just got an apt.

After contract was signed, the broker who represents the owner

Told her that since she does not have a "fiador" she has to pay

A year upfront for the rent.

This white berdugo had the audacity to tell her this while wearing

His sunglasses, which I almost punched off his face.

He said it is a"rule" in DR to have a guarantor.

When I told him that my apartment doesn't have a fiador,

He shrugged his white fat shoulders.

These people are something else.

There are rental signs everywhere, no one is coming

To this place, and they act "Rico"

They live on credit and act a role in front of the poor people.

What to do?

Does anyone have advice for my wife's sister?

I also want my apartment back where it's just me and my wife..

How do you bypass this fiador stuff?

I told my landlord I did not have a guarantor, and he was fine with it.

He just took 2 months security.

Is this case by case basis?

If someone can shed light on this, it would be great.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
First you need to check what is in the rental agreement.

I have always included this in the agreement, typically two months rent as a guarantee deposit. This is not in the DR, but I understand that this is also common practice in the DR.

Secondly, check whom you pay the rent and deposit too. This should be the owner not the broker. The broker has no power once the contract has been signed, unless stipulated in the rental agreement that he has additional roles.

Thirdly, if nothing about this is in the contract, you can inform the broker that you wil contact the owner directly and inform them the 'broker' is trying to cash in an additional year's rent for himself.

Let us know what is in the contract.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Fiadores are quite common in rental contracts in DR, although it's strange they sprung this out *after* the contract was signed. I've been asked for a year's worth of rent once when the owner wanted a fiador and I didn't have one. Check the contract carefully, and resolve any issues by talking directly to the owner if possible. My current fiadora is the agent who helped to look for the apartment - she volunteered since she wanted to close the deal. Does your wife's sister have a Dominican friend with a job who can sign as a fiador? - the requirements vary from one landlord to the next: some need a confirmed income, while others will accept almost anyone.

It also seems there is a bit of hating going on between you and your agent , he may be acting out on your perceived lack of respect etc and doing his little revenge act. Don't rush into signing anything you are not comfortable with, change the agent and let your wife's sister keep looking ipf necessary.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Everyone in here is touching on great points that you need to address.

1. Who is the money going to?

2. Why do they want a year? 2 months deposit plus first month is standard here.

3. Almost anyone can be a fiador. If you want you can sign it or find someone off the street, buy them some nice clothes, make sure they speak well and have them sign on the dotted line.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If your sister in law has gone through the residency program, then she already has a guarantor. If not, then the requirement might be related to her immigration status. Be prepared to look for another place if you can't work it out with the owner. Interesting that this requirement only surfaced after the lease was signed. I personally would not agree to paying a year in advance for a rental.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I was in a similar situation once a while ago, and I have the same question that others have already asked: What does the contract say? I have heard about fiadores as well, but I would not be comfortable with one year advance. I was once asked 4-5 months in advance, and I rejected even that offer. You say this clause was mentioned after the signing, which sounds suspicious, I was made very well aware of this well BEFORE the signing, and I never signed.

I would personally not recommend renting via broker, as when renting directly through the owner, I have never had issues. When renting through owners, there has been much less paperwork involved, much less deposits, and much much better service/maintenance of the apartment/house.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Ok so here is some help - if she ends up needing to find another place (if you are in Sosua):

1. Thomas Zins - He works for Remax and has tons of apartments for rent in lots of popular buildings - you just have to pay a damage deposit. Good apartments and not expensive. Just google him, he is all over the net.

2. My apartment is a stone throw from Casa Marina, walk to the beach and night life - safe clean and I am happy there. They have studios, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments - I think a 1 bedroom short term is $600 per/mo. and long term is $350 per/mo. The builder/owner is a Canadian man --- his daughter runs it but I think she is out of town --- he name is Sara 829 808 0574 and her father's number is 514 487 0963

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
In Santo Domingo it is almost impossible for you to rent a condo that is own by a Dominican without having to have a fiador, that is a common practice. Some people have paid a full year in advance only because they are getting a big discount. Let's say that the normal rental price is 1800.00USD per month, well if you prepay a full year in advance you might be able to get it for 1600.00USD or even 1500.00USD a month. The broker should it had send you a draft of the rental agreement prior to going into he or her office to sign the contract. I don't understand how can you sign a legal document without the other party involve being present. That is illegal because both parties has to be present when you signed the contract. The notary normally request for both parties to be present at the same time. Like many here had said, make sure that it is stated on the contract how the payment are going to be made and to whom because if is not written on the contract and you pay the money to the broker you might lose it. I am a real estate broker and normally when I have to do a rental contract both parties has to be present at signing and I always put on the contract how the payments are going to be made and also send a draft of the contract the parties involve for their approval. By the way each owners sets its own requirement for renting its apartments or villas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
I rented an apartment in SD and needed a guarantor, we got my GF cousin to sign and she doesn't have a penny. The owner never checked the guarantor. Just get anyone to sign.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The OP is in SD. He was looking in Santiago but settled evidently in SD.

Please explain what this means, Business DR?

"I also want my apartment back where it's just me and my wife.."

As for your sister, if she gave him the money and he gave her the keys, and the contract is signed, then it seems that she is the lawful tenant. If she gave him the money and did not get the keys, then she has to get the money back or you can offer to be the fiador. Or she can perhaps offer to pay three months rent, no more than that.

At first you were interested in buying an apartment. Then you were going to put on music festivals. Then you wanted a school to learn Spanish.

Then, a few months back you were posting that you really hated it here, now your entire family is here.

Are you ok?

I think that you were warned that doing business here is a pretty tricky thing, right? I read that your daughter is here but that she is doing free lance work, which can work out well if she is internet based.

So are you retired? Do you have a solid source of income?

I am sure that lots of posters can be afraid of us here on DR1 cause we can jump on people and call them names.. but we do actually CARE for total strangers.. and we try to advise people not to come here if they do not have both the financial resources and sufficient language skills.

So it does seem that you are in trouble a bit.

Please tell us more and ignore the barbs if they come.. There is a sorta "get the gringo" racket going on here and we do try to inform folks and help them steer their way around it. Looks as if you may be a bit trapped.