POP Puntilla Ampitheater

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i was told that construction on the ampitheater being built at the puntilla in POP has been halted because the seating capacity is not going to be what they thought it would be. does anyone have any info? how about you, dv8?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, my understanding was always that the puntilla was going to be recreation area: amphitheater, park, gardens and so on. i don't remember original plans but it was never going to be big. i think this is "cuidad crucerista" fever, as if tourists were here to see second grade musicians they never heard of. mark anthony and other international stars have other venues in DR and here in POP they could still perform in hacienda resort that hosted large concerts before. it was never clear what kind of activities were supposed to be held in the new anfiteatro.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well, my understanding was always that the puntilla was going to be recreation area: amphitheater, park, gardens and so on. i don't remember original plans but it was never going to be big. i think this is "cuidad crucerista" fever, as if tourists were here to see second grade musicians they never heard of. mark anthony and other international stars have other venues in DR and here in POP they could still perform in hacienda resort that hosted large concerts before. it was never clear what kind of activities were supposed to be held in the new anfiteatro.

the reason i mention Marc Antony is because he is the inaugural act for the ampitheater. i guess after that we will be treated to weekly acts of Ramfis y sus Chivos de Bachata.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what's your problem? you gringos lack critical thinking. PLASTIC BAGS. duh!

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
what's your problem? you gringos lack critical thinking. PLASTIC BAGS. duh!

Well it must be me, but I have been to plenty of open air venues with some sort of cover in case of rain (the Old Azucar Tipico, Sosua Car Wash, rancho Tipico POP and so forth and so on). In my recollection about 30% of the nights there was some form of downpour and those tables under the tachted roofs (or zinc) filled up very, very quick.

I am wondering what kind of provision is made for the amphitheatre, but hey guess what, critical thinking isn't appreciated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I am wondering what kind of provision is made for the amphitheatre, but hey guess what, critical thinking isn't appreciated.

first, as a gringo you are not capable of critical thinking, ok?
second, DR is a welcoming, tropical country, it's always sunny here and people are happy.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Rain has always been a concern at the very successful Altos de Chavon Amphitheater in La Romana. This was somewhat resolved by covering the performers stage. Those attending can use umbrellas or just get wet. Was there during the Carlos Santana concert when a big downpour occurred. After that, they covered the stage for the performers.

If rain is a concern in La Romana, it is a MUCH BIGGER concern in Puerto Plata. But a Chavon-kind solution could be implemented. After all, events have been taking place at La Puntilla for years.

The wind is another consideration that when I was there about a month ago to visit the site no solution had been offered yet. It definitely would affect the sound.

An amphitheater was built in Santo Domingo at the Parque del Este. It was used during the Pan American Games and never have heard of it being used again. Wonder what happened there.

All told, a successful amphitheater is not a given.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
you are a goddess. you know everything.. however, didn't these guys measure things before the got the back hoes working? can you imagine the cost overruns to make this place larger?

at less than 3500 seats, it is going to be hard to pay guys like Marc Antony and still make a profit.

Gorgan, No offense but you are assuming that planning and common sense were at work here. Not there strong points.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgan, No offense but you are assuming that planning and common sense were at work here. Not there strong points.

trust me, Gary, i never assume planning and common sense. anyone who comes up with the idea that an ampitheater in POP will be a tourist attraction is a mental retard, to be put in the same category with the morons with ideas for amusement parks. the tourism directorate of the DR fails to understand what they are looking at. the preponderant majority of people who visit the DR come here for the beach life, at bargain basement prices. forget all this crap about "attractions'. the attraction is already there; 1 week at 799 dollars. the lager louts do not give a rat's ass about some bachata band performing at the puntilla; they want cheap beer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Rain has always been a concern at the very successful Altos de Chavon Amphitheater in La Romana. This was somewhat resolved by covering the performers stage. Those attending can use umbrellas or just get wet. Was there during the Carlos Santana concert when a big downpour occurred. After that, they covered the stage for the performers.
If rain is a concern in La Romana, it is a MUCH BIGGER concern in Puerto Plata. But a Chavon-kind solution could be implemented. After all, events have been taking place at La Puntilla for years.
All told, a successful amphitheater is not a given.

preach, gurl. you are right. this is an open air venue. stage can be set up just like for existing concerts and festivals in POP and protect the artist and equipment from the rain. maybe some coverage for VIP section. as for unwashed masses? well, they will be washed.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
preach, gurl. you are right. this is an open air venue. stage can be set up just like for existing concerts and festivals in POP and protect the artist and equipment from the rain. maybe some coverage for VIP section. as for unwashed masses? well, they will be washed.

As per normal in the DR - however if they want to entertain the cruiseterminal guests that might become a problem