Next trip looking sad

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
I was looking forward to a much needed Sosua vacation "back home" next month, but with all the bar closings, restaurant burnings, chica cleansing and general uncertainty, I don't know what to expect. I'd ask for suggestions, but I'm one of those weirdos that is visiting the area with a family :classic:
Fortunately this is our trip to explore more of the area. Santiago, catamaran trip, Paradise Island and Los Gringos.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A poster on here just picked up his new car last week.

He was surprised how easy the whole transaction was after listening to other warnings on here.

He has learned a valuable lesson..... do not believe every post.
Many are overstated concerns..... not worth listening to.

I was at Los Gringos last Friday, Cabarete and Sosua last Saturday..... lunch, beers, haircut
All very normal other than there were fewer tourists than the winter.....

Quite normal for July

Enjoy yourself

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
Snorkeling, scuba diving, beaches, surfing, kitesurfing, mountain biking, waterfalls, hiking, heaps of restaurants, heaps of bars, visit and walk through the local towns, talk to the people, sunny weather, beautiful breeze, etc ..................... loving it here more every day.

Cocoa6705

Apr 22, 2014
You sound like Cuba Dave. I don't understand the pessimism in your post.

More of a commentary on the pessimism on the site lately. The changes in the area have been quite a topic of conversation. I'm just poking a stick in the eye. It would take a pack of wild horses from Rancho Lorillar to keep me away.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's still fine for a family holiday, you can do all the same activities.It won't be crowded anyway.

It's the nightlife which has changed the most but Cabarete is not far away and they have some more interesting venues for music and entertainment.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I wouldn't change my plans......you sound like you have your trip all planned and all is well other than Pedro Clisante is now more "family friendly" as the street closes at 6 on the weekends for street parties, only problem is parking. Now if you enjoyed a drink at the Jolly it is just now under reconstruction and the Italian resteraunt to the left of Britania just burned, not as badly as Jolly, the walls are still standing but everything is black....Britania suffered some damage to their roof area and apparently the rooms upstairs suffered some damage. The weather is hot and no rain....few tourists so come on down and have fun!

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Make sure your family has plenty of DEET for Chikungunya and Dengue virus.....Other than that, you should be fine.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

He was surprised how easy the whole transaction was after listening to other warnings on here.

I was at Los Gringos last Friday, Cabarete and Sosua last Saturday..... lunch, beers, haircut

Quite normal for July

Enjoy yourself

I just saw William Webster last Saturday in Cabarete. I can vouch for everything he just said except the haircut. He had big hair when i saw him last. Enormous hair. Gravity defying hair. He looks like an Evangelical preacher--AKA--Jimmy Swaggart from the 700 club. Not pretty!

[video=youtube_share;Q1OXAi7rNMg]http://youtu.be/Q1OXAi7rNMg[/video]

Frank

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
A vacation is what you make it. In the past we have had bad weather, bad accommodation, bad resort, bad flights but we have NEVER had a bad vacation!!!!!!!!!!!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

Quite normal for July

Enjoy yourself

Who dat? :classic:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Plan activities every day!! There are restaurants all over town and the stuff discussed here has more to do with a couple of blocks on a particular street - so don't get confused. Here are some ideas that my family enjoyed when visiting (some require a vehicle). I like La Costera beside Club Residencial for an American Breakfast.

- Go snorkelling on Sosua beach - beautiful water, beach and coral reef. You can rent a boat for an hours and rent the gear right on the beach (don't waste money on tours) - bring your water shoes, you will use them throughout the week and that will save you $$$. We were able to go out 5 of us for less than $50 incl. Equipment rentals

- Caves in Cabarete - 800RD to get in (call it $20) and is a nice day with fresh spring swim holes deep below the ground

- 27 waterfalls (charcos) - Did falls 1-7.. that was enough for me - my nieces LOVED it but I was done by number 3. A beautiful day, beautiful water and tons of fun. Entrance fee is $280RD or about $8 http://www.27charcos.com/index.php - Its about 40 minutes drive from Sosua

- Laguna Dudu - cant say it enough, one of my favorite places. Fresh water lagunes more crystal clear than the ocean. A zip thing where you can hold on and fly into the restaurant, animals, indian caves --- entrance is only 150RD... less that $5 - its just past Cabrera about 1 1/2 hours from Sosua

- The small beach before Playa Grande in Riu San Juan - I actually like this beach better than Sosua because it is more sandy, less rocks, less vendors and there is a toothless old man that can play and sing you and Antony Santos song you can imagine. If there ask him to play you Consuelo del padre / Hia mia

- POP - you have the castle and Teleferico... I got some really great pics at the top after the teleferico... DV8 would know best to provide directions likely... she is the POP guru... also Derfish

Some of the obvious ones but with much higher entrance fees - Ocean world, Monkey Jungle and water sports in Cabarete... you can rent 4 wheelers in Sosua for $80-$100 per/day and take them up to the fincas for some fun. If you take the road at Marinotta you can take a dip at Bella Vista to cool off if its to hot

Come with your family and have a blast. Sometimes reading too many threads on here can cause you to get a skewed perception of whats going on =)

I was looking forward to a much needed Sosua vacation "back home" next month, but with all the bar closings, restaurant burnings, chica cleansing and general uncertainty, I don't know what to expect. I'd ask for suggestions, but I'm one of those weirdos that is visiting the area with a family :classic:
Fortunately this is our trip to explore more of the area. Santiago, catamaran trip, Paradise Island and Los Gringos.