Entering the Country with your Own Stuff

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I am planning for my next trip in September and have an opportunity to buy some pretty awesome stuff here for my apartment at a big sales that's only on this weekend.

How much of my own stuff am I allowed to bring in if it is going to my own apartment? I came in once with one oversized suitcase full of stuff for my place and one with my clothes - got them opened and nothing happened to me.

If anyone has had something happen involving coming into the airport with personal stuff and getting a hard time or having to pay - please share so that I can be prepared.

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It depends upon:

What stuff you want to bring.
What airport you enter.
The time of day you enter.
How customs feels that day.
What direction the wind is blowing.

In other words, nobody can give you an answer today without knowing more and even then your experience will be different every time you enter with the same stuff, depending upon what that stuff is.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You won't have any problem, as long as it is loose and not boxed in your suitcase.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
When we moved here last September, myself, wife, and three kids, we brought thirteen 70lb suit cases and boxes of stuff in through Santiago. All of it household items, toys, books, clothes, some kitchen stuff, my power tools. Everything is or 'looked' used, and wasn't super expensive. We also had with us two laptops, and a couple smart phones.

They opened two boxes, looked through it, and sent us on our way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mudar = to move

These people ship goods, negotiate at customs and deliver to your door

Search it here to find Peralta Brothers in Toronto for your stuff.... good reputation

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info. I was only coming down with maybe $300 of stuff for my place. A grill, a box of dishware, 2 sets of sheets, a knife set and other odd's and ends. I am going to bring one suit case with 'stuff' and another with clothes. The last time through I had 2 boxes of dishes and a comforter. They x-rayed and opened my bag and then flagged me through but this time my 2nd suitcase will be jammed. What is the worst that could happen?

How much of a 'propina' should I have ready if I have a problem?
Many years ago I had a problem once and I gave them $20 - but I don't know if things have changed?
Does anyone know if there is a max dollar amount of stuff if its yours? I know if it is gifts it is $200?
Is there a set fine that I can be ready to pay?

or.... am I completely out to lunch to worry?

Also - I am likely going to stay Sept 15-Nov 15. With the new tourist reg's do you think it should hit the embassy here and look at getting a visa organized or cross my fingers to pay the departure tax. Because I would be returning in November I wouldn't want to be one of the unfortunate first's to come through and them not offer that anymore?

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
I always give them the address to a hotel and tell them i am a tourist. Only had my stuff looked at one time and then only x rayed. I brought two large checked bags once packed with cooking utensils pots, electronics etc etc etc. in total 3 bags. Zero clothes. They pulled me aside for inspection. I asked in english what they were looking for and was i going to miss my ground transportation. El jefe didnt understand me and just waved me around. I am pretty sure i would have been taxed that time.

Hope that helps. Dont worry. Be happy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you get charged you can PM me a copy of the receipt and I will personally reimburse you the full amount.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Thanks Kent. I should change my screen name from my nickname which is Jewel to Paranoid!!!! jajajaja

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and I regularly arrive with six check bags, maximum weight, 2 carry-ons, purse the size of a whale and we pay nothing. We bring everything but the kitchen sink.

In my last 5 entries I have brought all kinds of stuff with multiple bags of luggage, new and used stuff most not in boxes unless I had to leave it in a box and they have always searched our luggage and not charged me. The last time at POP the guy recognized me and sped me through and I gave him some money, can't remember maybe 200-500 pesos? I was so tired I was happy not to have to wait in a line.

I'm sure the amount of stuff you are bringing will not be a big deal unless of course they decide they are in the mood to think it is!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I've brought tv's, blenders, toasters, power tools, DVD players, anything that fits in a large suitcase. Take it out of the box.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I got challenged when I came with just myself and 3 bags on a tourist visa in August 2013. When I made it clear that I was staying for 2+ months the tone changed a little, but they almost charged me tax on the printer I was bringing. Fortunately it still had the price tag on it (under $100) so that was resolved very quickly. With an entire family you probably won't get challenged too much, but wanted to relay my experience.

My advice; be upfront on your immigration form for your intended length of stay. And if you're planning to buy property, take some time and see if you can get a residence visa first. As mentioned previously, it sometimes depends on who you're dealing with.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am planning for my next trip in September and have an opportunity to buy some pretty awesome stuff here for my apartment at a big sales that's only on this weekend.

How much of my own stuff am I allowed to bring in if it is going to my own apartment? I came in once with one oversized suitcase full of stuff for my place and one with my clothes - got them opened and nothing happened to me.

If anyone has had something happen involving coming into the airport with personal stuff and getting a hard time or having to pay - please share so that I can be prepared.

Thanks

If you have residency you can bring quite a bit duty free, as a one time thing. However how much are you willing to pay for with your airline? The airlines will probably restrict how much you can bring and will charge you considerably for the overage. If it is things like electronics customes in the DR can also charge you duty to bring it in.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info. I was only coming down with maybe $300 of stuff for my place. A grill, a box of dishware, 2 sets of sheets, a knife set and other odd's and ends. I am going to bring one suit case with 'stuff' and another with clothes. The last time through I had 2 boxes of dishes and a comforter. They x-rayed and opened my bag and then flagged me through but this time my 2nd suitcase will be jammed. What is the worst that could happen?

How much of a 'propina' should I have ready if I have a problem?
Many years ago I had a problem once and I gave them $20 - but I don't know if things have changed?
Does anyone know if there is a max dollar amount of stuff if its yours? I know if it is gifts it is $200?
Is there a set fine that I can be ready to pay?

or.... am I completely out to lunch to worry?

Also - I am likely going to stay Sept 15-Nov 15. With the new tourist reg's do you think it should hit the embassy here and look at getting a visa organized or cross my fingers to pay the departure tax. Because I would be returning in November I wouldn't want to be one of the unfortunate first's to come through and them not offer that anymore?

after reading your opening question, I thought you might be treading on thin ice...

you should have said that the 'awesome stuff' and 'big sale'involved bottle openers and things adding up to $300.

just walk through and smile........... 100 pesos to a porter for speedy service

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I bring stuff down for my place all the time, everything from an unassembled kitchen cart
with a granite top to dishes, sheets, floor lamp unassembled in the box, you name it.
This time I am bringing a ceiling fan (special for outside). I have brought stuff in the box in my suitcase no problem.
I even checked a box as a piece of luggage with throw rugs wrapped around a
pool lounge chair no problem.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
A porter - great idea, the whip you outta there lickity split

Airline - no problem, I have only have to pay $50 for a second bag - still worth it with the deals but one more major sale to go first week of August

My ticket shows me being there for 1 month - so.. check mark for that

Thanks for all the great tips - I feel much better now =)