New resident welcome/help services?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Climbing off a plane to start a new chapter in one's life in an unfamiliar country can be a pretty daunting reality. Does anyone know of a service that is offered on the north coast that helps new comers accomplish the "necessities" of life in the first few weeks or months after arrival?

I mean a company that helps with getting utility accounts set up, to place ads for help wanted in local newspapers, that can help locate and procure needed products and services, offer assistance at the bank and other places where the language barrier is sometimes difficult to overcome etc?

There are lots of questions that new arrivals have about their new environment that just aren't that easy or convenient to find answers to on the internet. Things like, where and on what days is the local market operating, how does one deal with household trash, the mail system (such as it is) finding and hiring a property/pool maintenance company and of course advice on reasonable pricing for various goods and services so that the gullible gringo isn't "taxed" out of existence before their boxes arrive from the old home. :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It might be a decent one person part time job for someone who was bilingual. i have a friend here in SD who did it for someone who posted here on DR1 but my friend (Dominicana) was not savy enough or sharp enoough to get the money up front and got royally taken. It really should cost about $25 bucks a day, minimum, I would think. But is not a full time job since there are not really a lot of expats coming in. So as a business.. I don't see it, maybe an adjunct to a real estate company.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm moving to the Sosua/Cabarete area. I was looking to explore the availability of an established service before considering imposing on the good nature of the DR1 folks.

I would prefer a more formal arrangement than a post, wait, read, clarify, post, wait, reword, post, wait ... process.
If such does not exist, then I'll consider how best to proceed without wearing on the patience of those already in country.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think if I owned a local bar, restaurant or hotel I would try and offer that service on a per day basis. I agree it wouldn't be a full time job. But you go head to their location with additional questions. Then they might gain a customer if someone is moving there. They could create a handout with a lot of the information such as phone numbers and addresses.

I think you would always remember and be loyal to the person who helped you out when you are new to a location.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
that would be a good idea, Texan. Perhaps the OP could ask for a referral here? Or if you like the front dest person at a hotel, maybe she can do it? I know it is hard and I would have been lost without my "Secretaria" (if you call them that,, it will help a lot because you really are looking for someone at that level.) Of course I really DID need a Secretaria, who handled translations and interviews, etc.. but first was setting up bank accounts, cable, all that

I got a referred from here on dR1 from CHIRI,.. oh, many many thanks~~

and still employ her sometimes, although mostly we are friends.

Offer really good pay, and say a month's contract. Maybe like 15.000 to 20.000 DOP? And say three days a week and they will work really hard to get you the best prices for you,

well, anyway, it worked for me.
but, of course, I am blessed.. and lucky.. and my Maria is one in a million.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I have always said be well prepared and informed about the country you are going to
call home PRIOR to actually making the move. Way ahead of time. Really, for such a
a life changing decision you would want to take your time and research. No reason to rush.

A public forum like DR1 is the best way to start way ahead of time as any questions about
how and where to do banking, electric service, phone, cable, where to shop, etc. will get you
prompt replies.

This is not meant for the OP in particular, but in general.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Following up on the idea....

try a school or a church..... they always want to practise their English...

Any local chica / chico will be happy for the money.
In fact , their innate friendliness will carry you forward for many months.... my experience and MA's too , it seems

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
bronzeallspice,

That is really sage advise and I would think many serious immigrants would do just that. It's not too often that one wakes up and says to themselves, today I'll move to...and throws a dart at a map. :)

As I have gone through the process, I have been lucky to find someone who has offered excellent advice and help for the various major milestones but their part really doesn't extend to the minutia of daily life after one hits the ground running so to speak.

Learning and understanding the routine everyday things is what I find most challenging. Granted I am moving somewhere where I don't have any close friends or acquaintances. That puts me at a disadvantage from the start. Someone's idea of inquiring at a church is a good one, now if only I knew someone who could tell me where the church is and help me explain what I need rather than being ushered into the confessional and absolved before I have committed any sins. ... :)

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Climbing off a plane to start a new chapter in one's life in an unfamiliar country can be a pretty daunting reality. Does anyone know of a service that is offered on the north coast that helps new comers accomplish the "necessities" of life in the first few weeks or months after arrival?

I mean a company that helps with getting utility accounts set up, to place ads for help wanted in local newspapers, that can help locate and procure needed products and services, offer assistance at the bank and other places where the language barrier is sometimes difficult to overcome etc?

There are lots of questions that new arrivals have about their new environment that just aren't that easy or convenient to find answers to on the internet. Things like, where and on what days is the local market operating, how does one deal with household trash, the mail system (such as it is) finding and hiring a property/pool maintenance company and of course advice on reasonable pricing for various goods and services so that the gullible gringo isn't "taxed" out of existence before their boxes arrive from the old home. :)
I have a close friend (Dominican) in POP. He is a lawyer and owns real estate company/developer. He's a great trustworthy guy who could help steer you in the right direction. I wouldn't normally bother him with this but to help a fellow Canadian Expat no prob!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
what+a+country.jpg

TheWelcomeWagon.png

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
bronzeallspice,

That is really sage advise and I would think many serious immigrants would do just that. It's not too often that one wakes up and says to themselves, today I'll move to...and throws a dart at a map. :)

As I have gone through the process, I have been lucky to find someone who has offered excellent advice and help for the various major milestones but their part really doesn't extend to the minutia of daily life after one hits the ground running so to speak.

Learning and understanding the routine everyday things is what I find most challenging. Granted I am moving somewhere where I don't have any close friends or acquaintances. That puts me at a disadvantage from the start. Someone's idea of inquiring at a church is a good one, now if only I knew someone who could tell me where the church is and help me explain what I need rather than being ushered into the confessional and absolved before I have committed any sins. ... :)

Understood. And I'm quite sure you will get the help you need from many of our DR1'er's who are very helpful.:)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We were looking at a couple of properties out that way. After some discussions regarding the practicalities of living that far away from a major centre especially since we will have no vehicle when we arrive we concluded that we would be better off if we spent our first year a little closer to the centre of the new world.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've watched and read over the past few months as great advice has been sent forth from keyboards all over the DR. On day two when I wake up with no cell service and no internet connection and I am standing at the end of my driveway deciding to go left or right.... google maps wont work, I'm sure the is no public internet at the library and no access to DR1 until the internet people hook me up. I'm in a bit of a pickle. At least my translation app will work without a connection.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
all sorts of internet cafes and hookup places..... plenty of'em

you'll be fine.... left or right from the driveway will get you somewhere !!!