First doctoral program to be offered in the Dominican Republic

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Program designed to boost Dominican Republic's education system

by Margaret von Steinen
July 11, 2014 | WMU News

KALAMAZOO, Mich.?Western Michigan University will launch the first doctoral program to be offered in the Dominican Republic in fall 2014 through a unique collaboration between the University and the D.R.'s Ministry of Education, Ministry of Higher Education and the Universidad Iberoamericana in Santo Domingo?UNIBE.

For the first time, faculty, administrators and professional staff of the D.R.'s colleges and universities and its K-12 system will have the opportunity to earn a Ph.D. at home?in educational leadership. The four-year program will prepare individuals to hold leadership and management roles in K-12 or higher education via a hybrid learning format and with teaching support from WMU faculty.

Two times during each semester, faculty from the Department of Educational Leadership, Research, and Technology in WMU's College of Education and Human Development will travel to the D.R. for one week to teach and provide advising to the program's students at the host university, UNIBE. It also includes a study abroad component, in which students enrolled in the program will travel to WMU in July each year for three weeks of intensive study and exploration of U.S. educational systems.

The program's development was coordinated by Juan Tavares, director of international admissions and services in WMU's Haenicke Institute for Global Education, and Dr. Donna Talbot, chair and professor of the Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology.

The first cohort of students will begin studies in September 2014. It will include about 23 students focused on higher education leadership and on K-12 leadership. Dr. Andrea Beach, WMU professor of higher education leadership, and Dr. D. Eric Archer, assistant professor of higher education leadership, are slated to teach at UNIBE in fall 2014. In spring 2015, Beach and Dr. Regina Garza Mitchell, assistant professor of higher education leadership, will serve as the program faculty.

Global engagement

WMU President John M. Dunn has traveled to the D.R. more than a dozen times in recent years and is integrally involved with several initiatives underway there, including the Ph.D. program. In early 2013, Dunn received an invitation from the D.R.'s Minister of Higher Education, Ligia A. Melo, to give a presentation about the United States' educational system at a D.R. conference for college and university presidents.

"I talked about some of the things we were doing at WMU and in the United States and that greatly accelerated interest in how WMU could help advance the country?s educational system," Dunn says. "UNIBE asked if we could provide a doctoral program in higher education leadership. They said their faculty were 'starving' for opportunities to earn a doctorate. Thanks to Dean Ming Li and our education leadership faculty in the College of Education and Human Development, we were able to put together a proposal in summer 2013 to provide a good quality program. They accepted our proposal and planning got underway immediately. We believe we can do it there, and we will do it well."

Talbot says the program will allow students to focus on possible dissertation topics during the first year through an initial doctoral studies seminar. Continued development of the topic is facilitated through a second intensive seminar, a research sequence and a professional field experience, while students work with several WMU faculty.

"I really like the idea that we are helping a country develop an education system stronger than what exists and that we are helping the D.R. increase the ability to eventually offer its own doctoral programs," Talbot says. "Once the students have completed their coursework and pass their comprehensive exams, they will be well equipped for the dissertation seminar and to prepare their dissertation proposals."

Dr. Ming Li , who began his tenure as dean of WMU's education college in fall 2013, said he hopes this program will serve as a pilot for future, similar programs outside of the U.S.

"We are using our expertise to help build the academic capacity of another country,? Li says. "We are taking advantage of online technology to offer an academic program through a hybrid model. This is a significant move in fulfilling our vision of being a globally engaged institution."

Since 2008, WMU has had a close relationship with the Dominican Republic. Some 400 students from the D.R. have studied at WMU over the past six years, fulfilling the D.R.'s national commitment to higher education through the Dominican Scholars Program.

For more information about the new initiative, contact Dr. Donna Talbot in the Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology at (269) 387-3896 or donna.talbot@wmich.edu.

Source:

Program designed to boost Dominican Republic's education system | WMU News | Western Michigan University

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wonder if they would allow foreigners to join that program? i always wanted a ph.d.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes! It will be open for any and all... But keep in mind "cupo" will be limited in the onset...

any details how to apply? i have masters degree from polish university, i speak both spanish and english. and i would love to teach here too.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
any details how to apply? i have masters degree from polish university, i speak both spanish and english. and i would love to teach here too.

They have a pilot program to that end. It's being prepared now to see new entries by 2015. The 2014 entry is limited and already no vacancies are to be provided.

You can contact UNIBE admissions directly to get more information about the 2015 program and slots available to new students.

Wait until past October to contact them, as there will be no info on this until after the pilot program is fully underway.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
i wonder about the costs - i was going for a PhD but after news of $60,000 cost decided nope (That was US Univ. costs - Boise State University online )