Is it really dangerous in the DR ?

J

Julia

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Santo domingo for February and was told that there is alot of crime, and dominicans just waiting to mug you outside the hotels. They tell me the police force is all corrupted - and you can't even walk down the street without being accosted. I've also heard of many dominican criminals, their seem to be many of them around. Can anyone help..

Regards,
Julia

S

Scott

Hi Julia

Havent been to Santo Domingo in a long time. Been to Sosua 4 times this year which is 10 minutes from the Puerto Plata Airport.

Had no problems with the exception of a woman grabbing me between the legs. Actually it wasnt really a problem for me but it coulda been a problem for you or maybe even a good thing or maybe it wouldnt a happened to you in the first place. I digress.

I felt 100% comfortable in Sosua.

Kindest regards!

E

ECH, M.D.

Julia, Santo Domingo is just like any large metropolitin city. There are areas of crime and corruption, however, normally tourists don't frequent these areas. For example, the barrio of Capotillo is known as a hang out for drug dealers and that type. You simply don't find tourists there or if they go there they are crazy. I think if you would take the same precautions you take in any large city, especially as a woman, you will be fine. I have lived here for over ten years and have never been mugged in the streets (apartment robbed) but that was all. I think the crime, mugging, etc. while it exists, is somewhat overplayed at times.

J

John

she doesnt even deserves an answer

because she is not even making a question. go away puerto rican. everything you ask, you can see in the streets of you old San Juan. ay bendito.

H

hillbilly

Basically, no. Better than most of LA->

That is Latin America.

A tourist is generally limited as to where he/she goes/ I do not expect you to be acosted when you leave your hotel-except by taxi drivers or street vendors...all in a day's work for tourists.

don't sweat it, and you will have a lot of fun..

HB

M

Michael

Re: she doesnt even deserves an answer

Julia e-mail me I am going in Febuary also and can possibly help.

I

ivan

Re: It's OK to ask...

Please don't let people make you feel ignorant. It's OK to ask if you don't know. I've been scared in Paris during the day, accosted by gypsies in Rome and Madrid. I think if you go out alone at night or during the day into a questionable neighborhood yuou might feel threatened in The DR. Especially if you are from a suburban middle class environment in the US. Please make sure you are cautious, even in the DR. But above all remember you are in a foreign country, be open minded and make sure you have a good time. Good luck to you.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Julia: I have no idea where you are from, but Dominican Republic is safer than most Latin American nations, including Venezuela, Brasil,Colombia, Puerto Rico,most of Central America and even Mexico. Remember, all the countries I mention before either have guerrilla warfare, drug wars, military type regimes with great instability,and lots of muggers in their streets. Big cities in Brazil are plagued with glue niffing youths who are as dangerous as hardened criminals. I though your comments were referring to New York's Dominican community, not Dominican Republic. There is more crime in Washington Heights, South Bronx and Harlem alone than the entire Dominican Republic. Muggers are waiting for you in Washington DC, Miami,La, Philadelphia just to name a few. LA police is as corrupted as our own police. Our police corruption is nickel and dime stuff compared to New York City Police corruption. I moved back from the United States 7 years ago and I have yet to be acosted by a criminal in DR. Of course, those who want to get mugged can be accomodated by visiting our ghetto neighborhoods like Capotillo, Los Alcarrizos, Simon Bolivar and some other neighborhoods. If you stand all night long at the intersection of Nicolas de Ovando and Avenida Duarte someone might get the idea you want to get mugged. You can find neighborhoods like this in Paris, London and Rome. Have you checked the Sevilla, Spain housing projects where the police doesn't dare go in and firemen are stoned for just trying to put out fires? Anyone has been to North Avenue in Cabrini Green at the projects in Chicago or the South side by Comiskey Park, where gang members take rifle shots at people from vacant apartment buildings? Or Lake St. at night where you get acosted by pimps, robbers, muggers and drug dealers. This is right in the loop neighborhood area of Chicago, Julia.

Julia, you will be perfectly safe here as long as you use worldwide common sense practices good for everywhere you go.

E

Eddy

TW is right on the mark. This subject has been addressed 100's of times in the past.(Check Archives) Always with the same conclusion. IT IS SAFE IN THE DR if you use common sence.

J

Jan

Well I have been to sto dgo on vacation 5 times in a year and a half and had no problems. Just be friendly and dont go where its dark at night. If you don't act like a stuck up tourist then youll do just fine. I am living here now for almost a month and love it. Ill never return to live in America.You need help here email me and ill talk to you. Love to show this country I love to visitors. By the way Im a 42 year old single american..but now im a dominicana gringa!!!!