Taking child to the UK.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Anyone who has been throgh this with their child born to a Dominican woman. So, named on Birth certificate, Mother happy to authorize it, what is the correct process from now.
Documents required, and full process. Getting this right first time is important as they will just send back the forms if they are wrong.

Someone please advise.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
No, this is what I am trying to get right now, but it is not clear and the links are a little confusing.

Feb 7, 2007
Ah sorry cannot help with that, no idea about British passport.
But after you get it, you can also go get Dominican passport you must do it in SD in the Passport main office on Malecon (Feria).
When you leave, you MAY be required for Permiso de Salida, when traveling on UK passport your kid should not need it, but it's better to get it as it is the first departure from the country. You do that in Migracion in Feria as well (same building as passport office. Mother authorizing the child leaving with you, must be notarized than verified by Procuraduria (about 300 pesos fee) then two 2"x2" photo, and RD$2,000 fee. After you come back make sure you ask for "papelito azul de menor" when you are at Immigration entering DR. This small piece of paper (entry form for a minor) will assure you that you do not need to get Permiso de Salida for your child the next time he leaves with you.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
No, this is what I am trying to get right now, but it is not clear and the links are a little confusing.

Is there a British Embassy in Santo Domingo. Go there and ask your questions. I am sure you can get accurate info.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Is there a British Embassy in Santo Domingo. Go there and ask your questions. I am sure you can get accurate info.

Been to the British Embassy and was told they can not give me ANY info at all on passports, process nor nothing as they do not deal with passport info. They wouldn?t even tell me if my info I had was correct.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I am now told that for the passport, I need photos dated, of myself with the mother and child over the last 5 years. (yeh I always make sure have a dated daily newspaper in my family photos)
My daughters national ID card (which you do not get until 18 here I believe, and so how does that work)
Myself the mother and childs birth certificates, all translated and notorized.
Proof of residency, I believe this means where we have been living.

Can anyone clarify this, as it is word of mouth. Time is ticking and I am getting nowhere.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I knew there were not so many Brits here, but no experience in this department makes me think maybe I?m one of the last fools to stay here, wheres everyone gone.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Well, this kind of spells out very clear my general experience with anything relating to DR and life over recent years. I called the UK Passport office and have been told several times to just follow the links. Well, as there is no specific link to info on a child born to a foreign mother outside of the UK and so the UK Passport office is actually as useless as the British Embassy in Santo Domingo. You would think that I could simply ask them what it was exactly I needed for this specific application and they could just tell me, wouldn't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
HUG, Did you register the birth with the Embassy when your child was born to get a UK birth certificate? As a UK subject we believe it is necessay to do that to process a passport for child.

If not then .......

Olly and the Team

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I remember filling the forms, as I meant to do this 5 years ago, but for whatever reason our travel plans changed and I can not remember if I asked my lawyer to process the forms, unluckily my lawyer has now changed place of employment and I have found to be uncontactable. Typical!!!
But I see no reason why I can not do that again now, I expect. None of this info is clear on the website, really really terrible info and no help at all from those who are paid to do this job.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember filling the forms, as I meant to do this 5 years ago, but for whatever reason our travel plans changed and I can not remember if I asked my lawyer to process the forms, unluckily my lawyer has now changed place of employment and I have found to be uncontactable. Typical!!!
But I see no reason why I can not do that again now, I expect. None of this info is clear on the website, really really terrible info and no help at all from those who are paid to do this job.

Five years and you never wondered where the birth certificate was before now?

Zipping my lips.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was in the immigration office last week and if you plan on traveling with your child out of the country without their Dominican mother you will need to get permission from immigration or won't be allowed to leave the country. The nationality of the children is not an issue.