President Wants To Restart Sugar Production at Montellano Plant

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

President Danilo Medina has announced that the government would like to see a restart of the sugar cane production in Montellano. The sugarcane factory in Montellano was the largest employer of the small town near the airport. But since the bankruptcy of the bank Baninter 2003, the factory had to close.

The yield of the harvest of the year was, as usual, deposited on the bank and got lost. The president wants the sugar cane production in Montellano to have a restart, but now with the cultivation of a new type of sugarcane. This is a sugarcane species from Colombia that promises to be much healthier as the current sugarcane varieties. This variety is called Panela sugar, also known as gold sugar and comes from Central and South America. The sugar is made of the pure juice of the sugarcane so that valuable ingredients such as vitamins, minerals and trace elements are not lost. When the re-opening takes place, is still unclear. But this president is known to hold his promise.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all talk an no walk? this is not the first time the government promises that yet nothing happens...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
all talk an no walk? this is not the first time the government promises that yet nothing happens...

Yes, but as the SN piece pointed out, Danilo has a pretty good track record for following through.

Vamos a ver.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Making that promise will certainly win him the vote in Montellano and likely surrounding towns as well. If he does get elected I hope he does keep his promise - it would be really nice to see all those jobs come back.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Making that promise will certainly win him the vote in Montellano and likely surrounding towns as well. If he does get elected I hope he does keep his promise - it would be really nice to see all those jobs come back.

he cannot run in the next election....

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
While I have spent a lot of time in DR I am not too familiar with DR politics. How many terms can a president run consecutively. I was also wondering (which will help me learn faster) which political system would you say it most closely resembles - Because I notice that some people reference ministers of different departments on here - while the head of the country is a president... I would love to understand better.

he cannot run in the next election....

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
When was the last time I heard this....Oh right it was last year and the year before and the year before that and the year before that........

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ken,do you know by any chance any details on the source for this article? i looked up the article in SN:
Sos?a-News
it cites the source as Secandomelao.com. not surprisingly, it is misspelled, the page is sacandomelao
but out of curiosity i looked up the article about danilo and sugar production and found this:
sacandomelao: ?Alguna esperanza para Monte Llano?....Danilo promete relanzar producci?n azucarera

note that it says: El anuncio del presidente sobre el relanzamiento de la industria ca?era y de la producci?n de az?car se produjo tras reunirse con miembros de la Asociaci?n de Productores Agropecuarios de Mata de Palma, comunidad perteneciente al municipio Guerra, de la provincia Santo Domingo.
montellano is not mentioned in the article apart from the title.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

I understand, but I hope this will be different. Countries all over the world would buy this product if it were naturally refined as was spoken.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
When was the last time I heard this....Oh right it was last year and the year before and the year before that and the year before that........

Bob K

And don't forget this year too!! But maybe, just maybe things this year or the next, or the next will be different.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would love to see this come true.
A working sugar mill on the North Coast would be a tourist magnet as well as a major employer...

Let's hope it comes to fruition.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is fake news. no other outlet reports it and even the source quoted by SN does not mention restarting the plant.