Looking for an inexpensive Vista Home Premium OS

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Had to replace the hard disk in my desktop. My recovery disks kinda worked but there are several problems that I'm hoping an fresh OS install will fix. Ceducomp checked the hardware out and said its ok, I'm not so sure. So I would hate to spend a lot of $$ on a new OS if thats not the issue. As you know installation disks no longer are provided with new PC.s thanks.

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Had to replace the hard disk in my desktop. My recovery disks kinda worked but there are several problems that I'm hoping an fresh OS install will fix. Ceducomp checked the hardware out and said its ok, I'm not so sure. So I would hate to spend a lot of $$ on a new OS if thats not the issue. As you know installation disks no longer are provided with new PC.s thanks.

If you still have your Windows activation key, you can torrent the OS on a friend' computer, and burn a DVD. Then reinstall over your current setup.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
No activation key. That normally is provided with the installation cd, which is no longer provided. Nop still not fixed.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Are you sure the activation key is not somewhere on the bottom or back of your desktop box?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
No activation key. That normally is provided with the installation cd, which is no longer provided. Nop still not fixed.

The activation key, as Derfish mentions, is also on a sticker on the bottom or back of your computer.

Even if you got someone's CD/DVD with Windows, you'd still need that key to plug in during installation.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I guess if nobody have Vista disk i guess i can bring a USB stick for you on this Friday. You can just bring replacement USB drive.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Koreano, I would really like to repair my existing desktop and not sure exactly what a USB with windows would help in that area other than booting the system. Currently I can boot it consistently, I can not run Windows updates or update any driver, so its limping along. Also, when I try to install new apps, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, mostly doesn't. There aren't any software distribution lists, or Windows Update history. So all in all its a little goofy. Thanks again for your very generous offer but unless it will help repair this issue I wouldn't want to bother you. Also, I've researched all the issues and implemented those that matched but to no luck yet. By the way I repair laptops that were donated to a couple of poor villages in the pop area from time to time. They hold classes teaching English and other subjects free of charge as is my work. Mostly the hard drives are falling, they are old but are still useful for what they are used for. I thought I saw a product that is offered to poor country's that runs the OS from a USB but can't find it. That would really help out with these failing laptops. Any idea where I can get info on the product? thanks again for your help and offer.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
always make a clean install. try to see if your laptop is windows 7 compatible. see forums and check to see if anyone had any luck finding all the right drivers. make sure you have a minimum of 4 gig ram. I have installed many machines with windows 7 which came originally with vista. if there is a will, there is a way.
AZB

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Koreano, I would really like to repair my existing desktop and not sure exactly what a USB with windows would help in that area other than booting the system. Currently I can boot it consistently, I can not run Windows updates or update any driver, so its limping along. Also, when I try to install new apps, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, mostly doesn't. There aren't any software distribution lists, or Windows Update history. So all in all its a little goofy. Thanks again for your very generous offer but unless it will help repair this issue I wouldn't want to bother you. Also, I've researched all the issues and implemented those that matched but to no luck yet. By the way I repair laptops that were donated to a couple of poor villages in the pop area from time to time. They hold classes teaching English and other subjects free of charge as is my work. Mostly the hard drives are falling, they are old but are still useful for what they are used for. I thought I saw a product that is offered to poor country's that runs the OS from a USB but can't find it. That would really help out with these failing laptops. Any idea where I can get info on the product? thanks again for your help and offer.

I am sorry for late reply, I was busy preparing for the long weekend so I was busy.

I don't exactly how bad shape your laptop is but in most of cases it's got to be some kind of computer virus or heat issue.
1) Like people have said you can clean install windows from USB and in result it will clean the virus or I guess you can download the your favorite virus program and test to see if checking for virus and cleaning them will fix the issue.

2) If it's Vista it's most likely between 4-7 years old? Does it have clicking sound? Did you run check disk? I have seen hard drive fails but if it boot up correctly, don't have consistent clicking sound and able to use it for a while before the system get erratic, most of the times it isn't hard drive issue. Most of the laptops or computer I have dealt with had heat issues. One of the vent blocked with dusts, in result vary unstable operations or in worst case motherboard/memory/cpu getting fried. If I were you, I'll look into opening up your laptop according to instructions by manufacturer or search for youtube videos watch it and plan it out multiple times and open it up clean the vents and applying new thermal paste(Silver kind one, NOT the creamy white kind ones).

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I am sorry for late reply, I was busy preparing for the long weekend so I was busy.

I don't exactly how bad shape your laptop is but in most of cases it's got to be some kind of computer virus or heat issue.
1) Like people have said you can clean install windows from USB and in result it will clean the virus or I guess you can download the your favorite virus program and test to see if checking for virus and cleaning them will fix the issue.

Good luck.

If you install on top of the existing OS installation, any virus present will still be there and able to do damage. Only removing the OS and registry (or installing in a new, clean directory or hard drive) will disable the virus (in addition to using an anti-virus tool). Installing the OS clean will remove any virus present, but there's still the issue of the product key; that will still be required, if not immediately, within 30+ days.

inet

Aug 31, 2013
I have a vista activation key from an old laptop, I'm running Linux on. PM me if you're inclined to run a bad OS.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
thanks everyone for your advice and help. Actually its a desktop PC and its running, kinda, for now, so its ok. I'll just use it for doing odds and ends stuff. It is my standby PC any way but would like it working properly. I'll try some of the things mentioned here and others Pm'ed to me. thanks again

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
thanks JD but part of the problem is most anything I try to install fails for any number of reason, and never the same. CCleaner fails as many others. I'm sure the answer is to install a fresh OS. Question is the product key/code the same thing as the activation code? thanks