Finally, Claro unleashes the LTE monster.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
LTE (4G) is here and it took over the internet by storm. I just got my new 4G card from claro and wow, my internet is flying. download speed is clocked at 45 mbps and upload is 10+ mbps. its just insane fast. I am sure in zones where network has good signal, people will clock above 50 mbps. youtube videos come in super sharp in HD, skype calls are flawless and google voice calls are just lifelike in 4g network. The coverage is pretty good all over the major cities in DR. the 4g sim card is free and you get higher speed for free with any network plan.
Enjoy.
AZB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
LTE (4G) is here and it took over the internet by storm. I just got my new 4G card from claro and wow, my internet is flying. download speed is clocked at 45 mbps and upload is 10+ mbps. its just insane fast. I am sure in zones where network has good signal, people will clock above 50 mbps. youtube videos come in super sharp in HD, skype calls are flawless and google voice calls are just lifelike in 4g network. The coverage is pretty good all over the major cities in DR. the 4g sim card is free and you get higher speed for free with any network plan.
Enjoy.
AZB

thanks for the info. i am off to talk to them today.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
thanks for the info. i am off to talk to them today.
make sure you don't leave the claro office until the new 4g chip is working. they screwed me and my sim was not working. they told me it will be up and running within 35 minutes. it came to work after 3 visits. so make sure the sim works. oh and make sure your cell has 4g frequency of 1900mhz.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
make sure you don't leave the claro office until the new 4g chip is working. they screwed me and my sim was not working. they told me it will be up and running within 35 minutes. it came to work after 3 visits. so make sure the sim works. oh and make sure your cell has 4g frequency of 1900mhz.

thanks, again..

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Now all we need are prepaid plans with a higher cap. The 5GB plan won't last anywhere near 60 days at 4g speed. Tricom's 10gb plan barely lasts 60 days (if you can refill it).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Now all we need are prepaid plans with a higher cap. The 5GB plan won't last anywhere near 60 days at 4g speed. Tricom's 10gb plan barely lasts 60 days (if you can refill it).

How much is Claro's 5GB internet plan [for phone]? I usually use their USB stick.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
50MB 4G LTE in DR?
I have 1 GB plan on my cell phone I wonder how quickly I can use up all my data???LOL

As side note.
Can I get some decent speed at home as well?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I just replaced my chip and claro gave me the new chip that has 4G stamped on it.
AZB remember you helped me with my phone before ( thanks) but I 'm wondering if the H+ signal is 4G?

I prepaid for a week worth of data 700mb, but that lasted 3 days, lol.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I just replaced my chip and claro gave me the new chip that has 4G stamped on it.
AZB remember you helped me with my phone before ( thanks) but I 'm wondering if the H+ signal is 4G?

H+ isn't LTE. H+ is HSPA+ and it's still 3G.
HSPA+ vs LTE: The Future is now

Now that I thought about it, although it will be nice. But for what I use LTE isn't necessary RIGHT NOW. I guess when I go and decide to wait in line and decide to get more speed at home, I'll upgrade my chip.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

H usually means 3G. My cell show, H, H+ and 4G. so I guess 4G is LTE.
you will not burn your data if you don't download large files. if I do what I normally do with my phone, my data should last me a whole month. the problem is, people start to down load huge files and use internet far more than they did before with slower speed. now that pages load faster and whatsapp sends and receives photos and videos faster, then you will end up using more data. i have 3 gig plan / month, so I will be ok as long as I use my internet just like the way I did before. wifi at home and office and 4g outside.
I can see how how I would be using more data because my youtube videos load up faster and everything comes in HD. this is a good way to deplete your data plan. Hahaha
AZB

RG84B please give me your model number of your iphone. i want to see if it covers LTE band for claro.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Do they have a wifi AP-only device?

I am sure they do. Now you have to be careful as to where you will be using it. My office get little to no claro signal so my 4G would run on 1g or no G. In my home, I get about 6meg download with 4G and when I am in my balcony the speed goes up to 10+ mbps. now if I am on the road in city the speed goes to 45+ mbps. So before you get yourself a 4g device, make sure you get a strong claro signal where you will be using it.
AZB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
A lot of smart phones are not 4G/LTE compatible (or capable), especially if they're more than a year or two old. You can download the Speedtest app by OOKLA to test your speed, it's very easy to use and will tell you exactly what your Upload/Download speeds are.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
A lot of smart phones are not 4G/LTE compatible (or capable), especially if they're more than a year or two old. You can download the Speedtest app by OOKLA to test your speed, it's very easy to use and will tell you exactly what your Upload/Download speeds are.

check to see if your model number supports the umts 1900mhz band or not. this is the band claro uses for LTE.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
With that kind of Speed you can properly run a business back home from your DR Apartment, plus download to your heart is content on Pirate Bay.. etc... good times... :D

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Looks like the OneTouch Y580Y is not LTE compatible. Running out of data is no longer a risk for me!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
check to see if your model number supports the umts 1900mhz band or not. this is the band claro uses for LTE.

So I guess my SII isn't going to get LTE in DR???

According for gsmarena
GENERAL 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100
SIM Mini-SIM