Refrigeration of Eggs in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's always bothered me that eggs aren't refrigerated in DR supermarkets - and many homes.

I feel a lot better about it after reading this ABC report:

Why Americans Refrigerate Eggs and Europeans Don?t
By LIZ NEPORENT (@lizzyfit)
Jul 15, 2014, 9:18 AM ET

Why is it that European eggs are stored on supermarket shelves while American eggs chill in the cold section?

The difference, experts say, has to do with the egg production process.

Unlike European eggs, American eggs are washed and sprayed with a sanitizer immediately after collection, then placed into a cooler. Bringing the eggs back to room temperature would increase the chance of bacterial growth, according to the USDA's egg grading manual. Bottom line: we have to refrigerate our eggs because our egg distributors do.

But even eggs that are clean on the surface can harbor unsafe bacteria, said Marianne Gravely, a technical expert with USDA?s food safety hotline.

?Up until about 20 years ago, we thought inside the egg was safe. But then we discovered that the chicken can pass salmonella infection through its ovaries to the egg,? she said, explaining that refrigerating eggs is an easy safeguard against bacteria wherever you live. Cooking eggs thoroughly also reduces the risk of foodborne illness, according to the USDA.

Though American eggs need to chill, these four foods are probably taking up space in your fridge when they can be stored safely on the counter.

Butter: Some people prefer to keep butter at room temperature because it spreads more easily. Gravely said that?s OK, though it might spoil more quickly.

There are two types of foodborne bacteria: those that cause illness and those that spoil food but don?t make you sick. Butter is more prone to the spoiling variety, Gravely said. She recommends keeping half a stick out on the counter and storing the rest in the fridge

Whole Grain Flours
Processed white flour doesn?t spoil at room temperature, Gravely said. Whole grain flours, on the other hand, do spoil because they contain more oil, she said.

Tomatoes
Keeping tomatoes out of the fridge is not only safe, it makes them tastier, too.

French researchers recently found that the tomato?s flavor results from a complex mix of sugars acids and aroma-producing compounds called volatiles. Chilling tomatoes causes volatiles to breakdown and damages the texture, rendering the fruit flavorless and pulpy.

Most fruits and veggies are perfectly safe to eat when left at room temperature, Gravely said.

Condiments
Refrigerating your mustard and ketchup will prevent them from going rancid for longer, but leaving them out won't put you at risk for foodborne illness, Gravely said.

Why Americans Refrigerate Eggs and Europeans Don

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Thank you for some interesting information. Another DR question answered

Bob K

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Fresh eggs have a natural protective coating on them. They'll store quite awhile as long as not washed. I haven't seen them refrigerated anywhere in the Caribbean/central America.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
So does this mean that it's more dangerous to eat raw eggs here than it is in the US?

May 29, 2006
As long as you cook your eggs to 135?, you should be fine. You can tell how fresh eggs are in part by how easily they can be peeled when hard boiled. Fresh eggs under a week old can be hard to peel.

IMHO, the chances of getting something from raw eggs is extremely low. They take samples for infection at the egg factories regularly. A chicken egg incubates for 21 days at above room temp without "going bad."

You see far more outbreaks of salmonella from vegetables. I've seen recalls of Cilantro, Bean Spouts and various types of lettuce.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So does this mean that it's more dangerous to eat raw eggs here than it is in the US?

Eating raw eggs is not a recommended practice anywhere. Every now and then you'll end up dealing with a bout of samonella. The interior of an eggs starts out being sterile but the shell is a semi-permeable membrane. It is possible for contaminants to migrate through the shell if the coating is incomplete or the egg is old.

If you insist of gulping eggs, the fresher the better and wash the shell really well with hot water and soap just before cracking.

Still, raw eggs it's not the best of ideas.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can tell how fresh eggs are in part by how easily they can be peeled when hard boiled. Fresh eggs under a week old can be hard to peel.

I never knew that. Last Sunday we found a family here in South Jersey [still a lot of farms here] who sell fresh brown eggs, and we bought 5 dozen even though we had 2 dozen in the fridge already. Used up the white ones between breakfasts [our grandsons eat here every morning], cooking and baking, so today I softboiled brown 7 eggs. Had trouble peeling them, and now I know why!

Mr. AE has a "thing" for brown eggs, and we always bought them in DR. Last trip - 4 months - we never saw them once in La Sirena. No one working there knew why.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
. You can tell how fresh eggs are in part by how easily they can be peeled when hard boiled. Fresh eggs under a week old can be hard to peel.

Thanks for the info. I have always wondered why some hard boiled eggs are so hard to peel.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
occasionally we get eggs from the finca: duck, geese and guinea. delicious. anyways, i keep all eggs in the fridge but my mom back home would just have them in a big bowl on the cupboard. i did not know it was down to processing...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When placed into non salted water, fresher eggs sink to the bottom and lie horizontal. Eggs that do not lie flat and semi float resting on one point or the other are still good but should be eaten soon. Eggs that float should be thrown out or fed to the pigs.

May 29, 2006
Another check for freshness is to see how "perky" the yolks are. They will be higher and more like a ball on fresh eggs.

We get blue eggs from our vet, raised by one of the assistants. The main downside I find with local eggs is they have too much flavor and this isn't something you want in most baking. You'll also notice the yolks are much deeper in color.

DSC06069-001.JPG

Blue eggs from Aruncana Chickens:

350x700px-LL-ffbbbf4d_DSCN8650.jpeg

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Mr. AE has a "thing" for brown eggs, and we always bought them in DR. Last trip - 4 months - we never saw them once in La Sirena. No one working there knew why.

Most any Colmado will order brown eggs special for you if you ask them............
They will be delivered with their next regular delivery...........
My Colmado charges 170 D.P. for 30 brown eggs...........
And, they are very fresh.........

B in Santiago

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Most any Colmado will order brown eggs special for you if you ask them............
They will be delivered with their next regular delivery...........
My Colmado charges 170 D.P. for 30 brown eggs...........

B in Santiago

I'll have to ask ours next trip. They charge 180 pesos for 30 white eggs, usually very large and tasty. Once in awhile we find criollo eggs, but they usually want 10 pesos for one egg.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here in POP we buy brown eggs in jose luis. la sirena does not really carry them. maybe try a local supermarket? miesposo also likes them more.

May 29, 2006
Technically there is no difference on the inside. The main thing is white eggs are normally produced in larger factories so the conditions are not as good for the chickens. Chicken and egg production benefit greatly from economies of scale, but the chickens don't. I believe they've set standards in England to make the chickens have some quality of life, but in the US the limiting factor is at what point do the chickens start dying or get sick. I like my chicken and eggs, but some of the conditions are truly appalling. They don't treat the workers well either.

One of the main issues in the DR is they have to keep the chickens from over-heating. If they lose power on the fans, the buildings quickly over heat and the chickens start dying.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just curious, besides having a brown shell, what is the difference..........

B in Santiago

Brown chickens lay brown eggs. It may just be me, but I find the yolks of brown eggs darker and more flavorful.

Power of suggestion?