Shipping American 'Made' Car?

Apr 10, 2006
Has anyone shipped an 'American' car. Though not my first choice, I understand it is much cheaper to bring American made cars. I see them all over here in Stgo.

Can anyone enlighten me on the price differences for shipping to DR American vs. Non-American car (i.e.-the price at the Aduana).

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2004
Has anyone shipped an 'American' car. Though not my first choice, I understand it is much cheaper to bring American made cars. I see them all over here in Stgo.

Can anyone enlighten me on the price differences for shipping to DR American vs. Non-American car (i.e.-the price at the Aduana).

Thanks!

The price differential is negligible. The DR saw to that when they changed the law to circumvent DR-CAFTA. Everyone pays 18% ITBIS and 17% first placa + shipping + insurance + possible parking fees while they find your lost paperwork, etc. Estimate your all in costs at 50% of the value of the vehicle and you will be fairly close.

However, if you can take advantage of the residency law, or are a returning Dominican, you will receive further reductions from Aduana.

Lots of Japanese cars are made in America...so do not overlook them too. First digit of the VIN will tell you. A "J" means its Japanese made. A 1,4,5 indicates US made.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is correct that the DR made up with the reduction in duty with an increase in other fees. No real advantage to importing a US made car. I pointed this out to a government official who was working on DR-CAFTA and it had no effect on this situation. Feel free to purchase the car of your choice.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
If you're hellbent on shipping an existing car down, for sure have a dealer in imports do it for you by including it in his shipments. Otherwise you'll get gamed from here to eternity, and if you get the car it will cost you lots of time and money, and besides, be in sad shape.

But if you just want a good car less than five years old, then canvass the import dealers in Santiago (Estrella Sadhala or the Moca road), and buy only Japanese cars, made IN Japan, for the American market, direct from the U.S. auction lots. Google the VIN numbers for mileage, repair history, owners, etc., and spreadsheet a dozen or more before buying.

Jan 9, 2004
I would still like to buy an older vehicle in a friends name, ship it to PR, and have it brought over on the ferry, then "buy" it once it's here. Or even bring it in my name, and pay the taxes after it's in my possession.

At least it would be on the street, and not in the port where they can hold it hostage.

I guess it might be possible.....but if its rejected due to age you would have to send it back to PR or the mainland through Aduana with the necessary paperwork (fees). What you probably need is a sympathetic ear with empty pockets in Aduana....to get it done in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2