Need a new place

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim c

May 3, 2007
IM tired of dealing with the fools that live in Sosua. The ones that have s**t for brains and a seed gets planted and it cant help but grow. Im looking for a new small town. I want to live a good life so I need back up power and cable TV. I don't want to take my life in my hands if I walk around day or night. Anybody have any ideas on a place like this?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I live in Maimon (Bonao). Nice and safe. 15 minutes to the biggest resovoir in the Caribbean, an hour to Jarabacoa, an hour and half to Santo Domingo, an hour to Santiago, and less than three hours to Las Terrenas. Lots of four-wheeling. Only a few gringos.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My wife and I were impressed with the Rio San Juan and Cabrera areas. Decent rent for decent accommodations. It was just too far removed for our first home. I don't know what you are looking for in the way of a house. Here's one we considered.

Villa Opalyssa

W

williamwt14

I did my time in Boca Chica, Samana, Sosua, Santo Domingo, Cabarete and Las Terrenas with at least a month in each locale.
My interpretations:
Santo Domingo......big city living,,expensive..no immediate beaches......general crime

Boca Chica.....a depressed ****hole where EVERYONE is on the take..Tigres, Chicas, Police Nacional...NEVER again ! !

Sosua......losing a little steam and will continue to do so until the govt decides what they want to do with it. Currently, they are sending massive mixed messages to the public, expats and internet world. Very inconsistent policing and concept of what Sosua really is at the moment.

Samana.....A quaint little place, inexpensive..NO gringos....150 to 300 peso motoconcho ride to any nice beaches. The Bay is nice...but filthy...The Malecon is nice on weekend nights.

Las Terrenas....awesome beaches.....pricy..not a ton of gringos.

Cabarete......Seems like the most civilized of all for a smaller town with the beach and ocean. There is more expensive "Condo living" in the 500.00 to 650.00 range a month with AC and power. But there is also apts close by without ACin the 300.00 to 350.00 range. On the outskirts of Cabarete there is also decent places for great prices but a motoconcho is needed daily....50 pesos each way....every time you travel...I spent 6 weeks there and saw PN three times in all. Lots of Gringos but also little pockets of Dominican communities within the town.

Good luck in your quest....

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
So far this year the US has deported 970 ex cons back to their home in the DR. 58 arrived yesterday. And that is only the US. Dominicans must be commiting crimes and being deported from other countries also so the number is even higher. If you cannot feel safe in Sosua you will not find security anywhere on the island. Perhaps it is time to think about protecting yourself rather than moving around looking for safety. No one has ever bothered me in all the years I have lived in Sosua and Bonao. I felt safe the entire time. From the tone of your post maybe its you.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I've lived in Sosua for 10 years, of course there are some idiots here but then there are idiots everywhere I just don't deal with them. There are plenty of "normal" everyday people here too!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
IM tired of dealing with the fools that live in Sosua. The ones that have s**t for brains and a seed gets planted and it cant help but grow. Im looking for a new small town. I want to live a good life so I need back up power and cable TV. I don't want to take my life in my hands if I walk around day or night. Anybody have any ideas on a place like this?

The little towns around Santiago (be selective) are very livable.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Go check out Las Terrenas. There are many rentals available and the local power company is privately owned and very reliable. There are few blackouts.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I live in Maimon (Bonao). Nice and safe. 15 minutes to the biggest resovoir in the Caribbean, an hour to Jarabacoa, an hour and half to Santo Domingo, an hour to Santiago, and less than three hours to Las Terrenas. Lots of four-wheeling. Only a few gringos.

Can you give me more information about the reservoir? I have never been their before.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Craperettee

So where did you end up?

In Craperettee? :rolleyes:

donP

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So far this year the US has deported 970 ex cons back to their home in the DR. 58 arrived yesterday. And that is only the US. Dominicans must be commiting crimes and being deported from other countries also so the number is even higher. If you cannot feel safe in Sosua you will not find security anywhere on the island. Perhaps it is time to think about protecting yourself rather than moving around looking for safety. No one has ever bothered me in all the years I have lived in Sosua and Bonao. I felt safe the entire time. From the tone of your post maybe its you.

Judging by the amount of Gringos killed, assaulted, robbed...etc in Sosua area it is not just the OP that has issues with life in Sosua. There is far less crime in Jarabacoa than anywhere on the north coast but even here there are lots of drugs and people willing to empty your wallet if given the opportunity.

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014

[deleted, this is way old]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.