Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a new place

IM tired of dealing with the fools that live in Sosua. The ones that have s**t for brains and a seed gets planted and it cant help but grow. Im looking for a new small town. I want to live a good life so I need back up power and cable TV. I don't want to take my life in my hands if I walk around day or night. Anybody have any ideas on a place like this?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in Maimon (Bonao). Nice and safe. 15 minutes to the biggest resovoir in the Caribbean, an hour to Jarabacoa, an hour and half to Santo Domingo, an hour to Santiago, and less than three hours to Las Terrenas. Lots of four-wheeling. Only a few gringos.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I were impressed with the Rio San Juan and Cabrera areas. Decent rent for decent accommodations. It was just too far removed for our first home. I don't know what you are looking for in the way of a house. Here's one we considered.

Villa Opalyssa

williamwt14

I did my time in Boca Chica, Samana, Sosua, Santo Domingo, Cabarete and Las Terrenas with at least a month in each locale.
    My interpretations:
    Santo Domingo......big city living,,expensive..no immediate beaches......general crime

Boca Chica.....a depressed ****hole where EVERYONE is on the take..Tigres, Chicas, Police Nacional...NEVER again ! !

Sosua......losing a little steam and will continue to do so until the govt decides what they want to do with it. Currently, they are sending massive mixed messages to the public, expats and internet world. Very inconsistent policing and concept of what Sosua really is at the moment.

Samana.....A quaint little place, inexpensive..NO gringos....150 to 300 peso motoconcho ride to any nice beaches. The Bay is nice...but filthy...The Malecon is nice on weekend nights.

Las Terrenas....awesome beaches.....pricy..not a ton of gringos.

Cabarete......Seems like the most civilized of all for a smaller town with the beach and ocean. There is more expensive "Condo living" in the 500.00 to 650.00 range a month with AC and power. But there is also apts close by without ACin the 300.00 to 350.00 range. On the outskirts of Cabarete there is also decent places for great prices but a motoconcho is needed daily....50 pesos each way....every time you travel...I spent 6 weeks there and saw PN three times in all. Lots of Gringos but also little pockets of Dominican communities within the town.

Good luck in your quest....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

So far this year the US has deported 970 ex cons back to their home in the DR. 58 arrived yesterday. And that is only the US. Dominicans must be commiting crimes and being deported from other countries also so the number is even higher. If you cannot feel safe in Sosua you will not find security anywhere on the island. Perhaps it is time to think about protecting yourself rather than moving around looking for safety. No one has ever bothered me in all the years I have lived in Sosua and Bonao. I felt safe the entire time. From the tone of your post maybe its you.

6. Likes Black Dog, Mack liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

South Carolina.
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

8. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Found this old thread which stayed more or less on topic and has some good advice re where to live:

http://dr1.com/forums/living/106245-...ver-again.html

Matilda

10. Likes Africaida, Polar Bear liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I really like las Canas, GH and feel very safe. Is it idiot gringos you are trying to get away from or Dominicans? Sosua and Cab feel pretty safe for me wobbling around at night but not so much for the peeps that get shot I guess...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in Sosua for 10 years, of course there are some idiots here but then there are idiots everywhere I just don't deal with them. There are plenty of "normal" everyday people here too!

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim c View Post
    IM tired of dealing with the fools that live in Sosua. The ones that have s**t for brains and a seed gets planted and it cant help but grow. Im looking for a new small town. I want to live a good life so I need back up power and cable TV. I don't want to take my life in my hands if I walk around day or night. Anybody have any ideas on a place like this?
    The little towns around Santiago (be selective) are very livable.

14. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast