Sea Turtle Seen On Sosua Beach

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Sunday, July 13, at about 10 PM a large sea turtle was found on one of the beaches near a large resort hotel in Sos?a. Dozens of tourists and staff came down immediately to have a look. Fortunately, the tourists police was immediately alerted and they alerted the environmental officers. The area was demarcated and hereby prohibited to enter unauthorized. It is not clear whether the turtle has laid eggs. The turtle is an endangered species and protected by law in the Dominican Republic. Among the population sea turtles meat is considered a delicacy and also for the eggs they are willing to pay a lot of money.

So this severe surveillance was certainly necessary.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
We had a Sea turtle swim up onto Cabarete Beach about 5 years ago on a Saturday night at around 11pm. All the bars and nightclubs were jumping. She came up right in front of Onno's and started laying her eggs as if it was the most natural thing to do on a saturday night with a beach full of drunk people. The police roped off the area where the eggs were layed. I ran down and took a picture with my camera phone:

DSC03797_zpsc92504fa.jpg

DSC03798_zps908811f4.jpg

Frank

May 29, 2006
If it was there to lay eggs, I hope they collect them to protect them from poachers. I hear sea turtles are making a comeback.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Wow a turtle on a beach....How rare is that !

Not very I suppose until humans started eating them, robbing their eggs and off loading millions of plastic bags into the sea to smother them........

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mike I, Peterthebrat,malko,

Last year there were about five sitghting and two known nests that hatched.

Here is the link to the Sosua News article for last year : Sos?a-News

It is good news that the turtles are coming back. They must have been borne here about 20 years ago so it is great to see them returning.
So far this year no reports from Cabarete or Perla Marina Beach. Here is the link to this current Sosua News report so you can see the pictures Sos?a-News

Olly and the Team

May 29, 2006
When Columbus first came to the Caribbean, he wrote that his ships were blocked by the number of migrating turtles for three days.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
145 Baby Sea Turtles

From today's Sosua News

On Sunday, July 13, so two months ago, mother sea turtle came ashore in the bay of Sos?a to lay her eggs and hide them in the beach sand. Last Sunday morning, September 7, 145 turtles came out of their eggs and then crawled to the water of the ocean. The hatch was in all these months, carefully guarded by officials of the Environment Service (la Direcci?n Provincial de Medio Ambiente). The area was demarcated and thereby prohibited unauthorized. This to protect it from predators and thieves. The sea turtle is an endangered species in the Dominican Republic and protected by law. Among the population, sea turtles meat is considered a delicacy and also for the eggs they are willing to pay a lot of money. The turtles crawling to the ocean did not go unnoticed. With great interest from beach guests and under the supervision of the Environmental Service the turtles crawled to the waves.

The crowd just loved it and was very happy that so many turtles were rescued and able to reach the ocean. They do need and deserve all that kind of protection to save them from extinction.
Video: YouTube