Satellite Internet providers.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Am in Santo Domingo Norte and am looking for a solid satellite internet provider. Seen some old threads for Dunhill but no contact numbers. Orange, Tricom, Codetel do not provide acceptable service in our area. need contacts. Do not need suppliers that are stealing signals, need reputable companies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is my understanding that Internet Satellite providers are contracted in the US and then "slid" into the DR so the provider is not aware of your location. Then you pay a fee to the company that pays the bill in the US. I do not think there is any service that is legally provided in the DR or you could set it up yourself. Not theft, more like extortion for what you pay and technically not legal.

HughesNet Internet | 1-800-794-1830 | High-Speed Internet

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
While some people do that it is absolutely not necessary. You can by Hughes (DirecTV) from any number of wholesalaers. Hughes will not sell it to you directly. I have a complete system, dish, transceiver, HN7000 modem and a wonderful responsive guy who sells Hughes through the Caribbean for anyone that ones it. $3000 worth of equipment, make an offer. Any offer. I am in town now with Claro and very happy. I did not decomission the modem so there is no need to buy a ew one, just needs to be turned on. Or you can contact this guy and he'll ship anything you need new or used, right to your door from Florida. My cost if I recall was around $100/mo. Speed was fine. Latency was horrible, damned Einstein, and there was a daily cap which I am glad to be rid of. But different plans have different/higher caps.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While some people do that it is absolutely not necessary. You can by Hughes (DirecTV) from any number of wholesalaers. Hughes will not sell it to you directly. I have a complete system, dish, transceiver, HN7000 modem and a wonderful responsive guy who sells Hughes through the Caribbean for anyone that ones it. $3000 worth of equipment, make an offer. Any offer. I am in town now with Claro and very happy. I did not decomission the modem so there is no need to buy a ew one, just needs to be turned on. Or you can contact this guy and he'll ship anything you need new or used, right to your door from Florida. My cost if I recall was around $100/mo. Speed was fine. Latency was horrible, damned Einstein, and there was a daily cap which I am glad to be rid of. But different plans have different/higher caps.

Like I said, they charge a lot of money. You can buy the equipment directly from HughesNet for $299 and their plans are $40 or $50 US per month. The brokers are taking in a good profit.

HughesNet? Plans & Pricing | 1-877-715-4820

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
Like I said, they charge a lot of money. You can buy the equipment directly from HughesNet for $299 and their plans are $40 or $50 US per month. The brokers are taking in a good profit.

HughesNet? Plans & Pricing | 1-877-715-4820

Apples and Oranges. The dealer who served me made $5 above what Hughes charged him. The service is not the same as the consumer stuff in the U.S. And unless they have re-repositioned satellites the smaller dishes will not work here. The Hughes internet service internationally is not fed off the DirecTV DBS birds.

Unless things have changed in the 18 months since I shut it off, Hughes will not sell that out of the country either.

Space Ghost

Mar 21, 2014
so if you have a problem who do you contact??

I rarely had any issues, but once needed a new modem urgently since that was my only connection. I called up my provider guy and he actually found a $600 modem for $200 box. Picked it up, paid for it, and even DROVE it across town to the Vimenpaq transshipper's address so it got to me the next day.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Done with Hughes

Until very recently I used Hughes satellite internet for 60$/month (1.5 Mbps DL; FAP limit 250 MB/day).
Hughes shut down their transponders on satellites G11 and G17 and rendered my equipment worthless (dish, BUC, modem).
I understand that VAR accounts can still be set up for 109$/month through a VAR dealer in the US.
I am done with Hughes. :mad:

I now have a local provider with a transmitter less than a mile from us.
I get 2 Mbps DL (stable) and unlimited service for 2,050 Pesos/month. :classic:

It's not Claro and not Orange and that's good..... ;)

donP

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
LTE is arriving and might supersede satellite dishes

The following link was published in the news section of dr1.com:
ALU's LTE Overlay Network for America Movil in Dominican Republic

4G LTE should give you enough bandwith to do everything you could with a satellite connection.

You can have a low cost LTE modem device (subset of a smartphone, like a headliess smartphone) to set up a home network via WLAN.
All existing WLAN equipment can go online with a single LTE router.

LTE will be a real life changer.

Alexander

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AZB was just singing the praises of 4G LTE in Santo Domingo. He mentioned there were some spots where it worked great and others where the signal was poor. Perhaps the OP is in a good area to try it. Certainly easier than trying a large satellite dish based system.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
AZB was just singing the praises of 4G LTE in Santo Domingo. He mentioned there were some spots where it worked great and others where the signal was poor. Perhaps the OP is in a good area to try it. Certainly easier than trying a large satellite dish based system.

Not in a good area thats the problem. We are out by the small airport by the Dump. No signal strength from either Tricom, Claro, or Orange.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Am in Santo Domingo Norte and am looking for a solid satellite internet provider. Seen some old threads for Dunhill but no contact numbers. Orange, Tricom, Codetel do not provide acceptable service in our area. need contacts. Do not need suppliers that are stealing signals, need reputable companies.

In the DR you can get SKY sat service which is out of Mexico and they provide service for some of the Caribbean and Cental America. Their programming is good with the availability of many English speaking channels and good sports coverage. The NFL channel is included in their package and you can also get Sunday ticket and MLB channel, etc. Also premium movie channels are availabel. They have 3 choices of programming packages and the prices range from around $40-65usd per month.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the DR you can get SKY sat service which is out of Mexico and they provide service for some of the Caribbean and Cental America. Their programming is good with the availability of many English speaking channels and good sports coverage. The NFL channel is included in their package and you can also get Sunday ticket and MLB channel, etc. Also premium movie channels are availabel. They have 3 choices of programming packages and the prices range from around $40-65usd per month.

But do they offer internet?????

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Zero Signal Spot

But do they offer internet?????

As said one can still get internet via satellite with the help of a VAR dealer in the US.
I find it pricey but sometimes it is the way to go if you are in a spot where there aren't any signals from local providers.
I still have equipment for such an installation if someone needs it.

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Signals from the SKY

Let me rephrase that... :cheeky:

In the DR you can get FTA sat service which is out of the US (...) Their programming is good with the availability of mainly English speaking channels and good sports coverage. (...) and you can also get PPV channels, etc. (...) They have more than 350 channels and the price is less than 10$ per month.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, you guys are confusing me. The topic here is satellite INTERNET providers. We have Sky for TV - what I want to know is..... does Sky offer internet too???

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I didn't think so - but I thought maybe I missed something. Out in the boonies we use Claro USB 'stick' - I'd love to find a satellite internet provider too.

What I have found so far. Here details concerning Starband : StarBand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
This is installed from Santiago.,

Gilat , has subdivision companies which are:
SpaceNet for Governement and Military customers
Starband for private users
Here details concerning Starband : StarBand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For an office your plan should be US$ 99.99
Speed is Up 1500/Down 250.
Your weekly traffic is 5 GB per week which is very comfortable compare to Claro mobile , for example which sale plan with 1 GB per month
If you pass the limit you get a slower speed for some days until you get the 5GB average for 7 days.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
VAR Service

What I have found so far. Here details concerning Starband : StarBand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
This is installed from Santiago.,

Gilat , has subdivision companies which are:
SpaceNet for Governement and Military customers
Starband for private users
Here details concerning Starband : StarBand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For an office your plan should be US$ 99.99
Speed is Up 1500/Down 250.
Your weekly traffic is 5 GB per week which is very comfortable compare to Claro mobile , for example which sale plan with 1 GB per month
If you pass the limit you get a slower speed for some days until you get the 5GB average for 7 days.

Looking at this, I find that a Hughes VAR account would not be all that bad for you...

donP