public transport, santo domingo to puj

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You can take the Bavaro Express bus to Bavaro/Punta Cana but you would probably need to take a private cab from the bus station into Punta Cana Airport. The busses do not go there directly.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
You can take the Bavaro Express bus to Bavaro/Punta Cana but you would probably need to take a private cab from the bus station into Punta Cana Airport. The busses do not go there directly.

Some buses go past the airport at certain times .......

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You may taxi to the taxi stop on Las Americas just outside the airport and hope a intercity bus may stop for you. It is a better decision to go into the big city to acquire Bavaro Express at the corner of Av Maximo Gomez and #31 Juan Sanchez Ramirez. The express buses last departure is at 7 pm to Punta Cana. The fee for the express bus is about RD$ 400, seating is first come first serve, best to arrive at bus station at least 30 minutes before departure time. Travel time is about 3 - 4 hrs depending on traffic and number of passenger drop offs.

The taxi from the airport to the big city would be about US$ 40 and up. Note: PJT stands to be corrected if someone has recently traveled the route. Travel time from airport to Expresso Bavaro will be about +-45 min, more if during rush hours. Taxi rates should be posted at the arrival terminal exit. Best you confirm rate with driver before entering vehicle.

Happy traveling

Regards,

PJT

S

sloniklbn

Hello,

I am landing at Santo Domingo Aiport at 15.40 (9.XI).
I am planning to get to Punta Cana (probably Grand Palladium).

Can you please advice me the best way to do it?

I have some options:

1) Stay a night in SD and go for an early bus to Punta Cana.
2) Travel to Punta Cana (but on Express Bavaro website I can see last bus at 16:00, which I won't make).
3) A private transfer from Airport to hotel (and return). But it is about 150$.

Please help to find a best solution. I would like to avoid situation that I am standing at the aiport, no buses will come and I have a night booked in Punta Cana.
I have to book a hotel asap, so that is my problem.

Thank you very much in advance!
BR
Pawel

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Are you looking to cut costs? Or are you looking for luxury?

Either way I will give you a plan so you can feel safe and somewhere inbetween. Get a cab to Zona colonial, get them to drop you off on EL Conde at the top end. About 50mtrs from the cab rank there is a place called Casa Conde, it is very modern, clean and welcoming, yet basic, but cheap. Stay the night there. In the morning get a cad 50mtrs away to Gomez to catch your coach. I wouldn't pay much attention to the hours as they put extra coaches on and they don't appear to stay to the time table (if my experience is anything to go by) and so expect the 2pm to be leaving at 2.45 and the 4 to be leaving at 5pm etc etc. But the last one is 4pm and if they want to they will leave at 4pm. In the Casa Campo they have a free computer with internet access, you can plan the next day from there.

I only recomend Casa Campo as it is in the middle of the Zona on ther main street and you will find it more welcoming and familiar with other pale faces than if you head off up to Gazcue or even if you went to the malecon, it isn't that reassuring at night.

Now you just need to figure out which is worth it.
Best prices to stay a night in Santo Domingon = Cab RD1,400 into Zona Colonial.
Night in Casa Conde = RD1,400 - RD1750 (the single rooms are tiny ad so you may opt for the slightly larger at RD1750).
Meal and a couple drinks RD1,500 (if you just have a 'few drinks', my account would realistically be about RD3,500 for food and drinks for one night not going mad).
Cab to gomez in the morning = RD250 (shouldn't be more than Rd200 but lets not get into that).
Breakfast = RD500.
Coach ticket = RD400.
Once in Bavaro your cab to your hotel = ?RD1,500 (for arguments sakes)

Total = RD6950, $160US at the cheapest end.

Personally, for the sakes of the hassle and even having to mess around with the capital, I'd be heading straight over the Bavaro, screw a night in the capital.

S

sloniklbn

Thank you for a fast reaction, I think I will travel directly by a shuttle private bus.
Now it is time to book hotel, any recomendations ? :)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Thank you for a fast reaction, I think I will travel directly by a shuttle private bus.
Now it is time to book hotel, any recomendations ? :)

I tend to stay in budget hotels and not the A/I places, what are you looking for?

S

sloniklbn

I tend to stay in budget hotels and not the A/I places, what are you looking for?

We already decided to take an AI hotel.
We were thinking about Granda Paladium, but there are 3 different when I am trying to book:

- Bavaro,
- Punta Cana
- Palace.

Which one can be recommended? And where to book the hotels best?

Thank you very much for help!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
What dates and for how long, and what is the best price you have had?

Persoanlly for this kind of thing I look on TravelRepublic.com and Hotels.com and book according to price.

S

sloniklbn

Well I am travelling 9.XI-22.XI.
Well the question is how big price should I expect.

For now I can see a double deluxe room in Palace part for 1350E for 13 nights.
I would like to book it but I have no comparision - is it a good price? Or should I wait?

On one hand I would like to avoid suprises (like price higher for over 100-200E per person) but on the other hand - if he price might be lower.

Thanks HuG!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
To me the hotels are pretty good over there, the A/I anyway, this is not PoP we're talking about, and I personally don't like paying extra for a fountain in reception. If you can do it, and it isn't breaking your bank, you've read a few reviews (not TA reviews) and are content that the complainers would complain no matter what, then just book it and take the weight off your shoulders so you can wind down before the off. You'll be happier for knowing you're committed rather than spending days damaging your brain over thinking it. You are not going to get a bad A/I in Bavaro/Punta cana, you might not get the best, but not 'bad'.
Stay mid way on the price and go for it.
Good luck, you'll have fun.

Just don't do Barcelo Dominican beach, took the family there for my daughters B'Day, nice, but at night lots of drunks, canadians fighting in the 24 hour bar almost every night.

Last edited: