Citizenship application processing time

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Just spoke to my lawyer about my citizenship application. The waiting time now is around 2-3 years. Anyone here experienced shorter (or longer) waiting times than that in the recent past?

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would consult with another lawyer that has some pull. This does not sound right.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Apparently it is the Interpol checks causing the delay, and not the new law concerning illegal immigrants.

Thanks, but I've already gone through the Spanish-language interview. I'll just have to wait 2 more years to get it. Rio 2016 looking a bit shaky now.

Are you married to a Dominican?

I am and I just did the oral interview two days ago. I was told that I'll likely be swearing in (the final process) next May 2016, since the INTERPOL checks should be finished by then.
Two years does NOT sound right.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I had my interview in March and have been told that the Interpol check is expected back next week. Might have just been telling me what they thought I wanted to hear though - although I was told in March all the checks would be back by end of August.

Matilda

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Get it from your home country

As mentioned before, if you get a police record with an apostle form the DR consulate in your home country then the wait time will be way shorter and you could get a sworn in date pretty quick, mine was just after two weeks I deposited the police record, Interpol will take forever.

I had my interview in March and have been told that the Interpol check is expected back next week. Might have just been telling me what they thought I wanted to hear though - although I was told in March all the checks would be back by end of August.

Matilda

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
As mentioned before, if you get a police record with an apostle form the DR consulate in your home country then the wait time will be way shorter and you could get a sworn in date pretty quick, mine was just after two weeks I deposited the police record, Interpol will take forever.

Fortunately it got processed more quickly than was expected.

Carabum

May 7, 2015

This is starting to sound to me like the preferred way to go, but seriously I can't understand how putting your name in the Interpol computer would take more than 15 minutes to return with results, how they come up with 6 months is beyond me.
What they write your name and details in the Interpol site and the computer takes 6 months to return a reply ?
Is this a Computer or someone swimming from country to country to come back with an answer ?

Does this police record have to come from a specific law enforcement agency like the FBI or are the local police of the city and/or county where one resides sufficient to satisfy the requirement?
When I applied for residency in early 2012 I had to get a criminal record check from the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Department in Florida, since that is where I had resided for 19 years prior to moving to the DR. I had it apostilled in Tallahassee, not by the Dominican Consulate.
Would the same thing be sufficient or does it have to be more detailed and come from a specific law enforcement agency?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Now that the DR and I assume other countries as well are sending piles of these background checks in for processing, there is quite a backlog. I have had three such checks submitted by the DR in the last 11 months for three separate processes and I expect one more is about to be added to the queue.

I haven't left the country which should be easily verifiable now and I have committed no offences in the DR so I fail to see the need for all these international checkups, but then again, I don't understand a lot of what goes in here in the bureaucracy.

Carabum

May 7, 2015
Now that the DR and I assume other countries as well are sending piles of these background checks in for processing, there is quite a backlog. I have had three such checks submitted by the DR in the last 11 months for three separate processes and I expect one more is about to be added to the queue.

Why would they ask for a total of 4 Interpol checks of just you ?

Also, like I said before, an Interpol check takes a few minutes, they feed your name and birthdate into the Interpol check and Voila. It does not take a few months for the results to come in.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Same for me...

I thought the same, why would they accept a police record from my home country where I haven't lived for over 20 years, but it did made a difference. Not sure about the US, I requested police record from German embassy and had it stamped by DR consulate in Germany, got it fedexed and deposit it, done deal.

I haven't left the country which should be easily verifiable now and I have committed no offences in the DR so I fail to see the need for all these international checkups, but then again, I don't understand a lot of what goes in here in the bureaucracy.

Carabum

May 7, 2015
But just because you deposited that police record from your home country does not mean they won't also key-in your name in the Interpol site.

They will still have to use the Interpol to check if you are wanted by any other country beside your home country of Germany.
You are not immune to Interpol checks just because you sent them a local police record check from your home country.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
But just because you deposited that police record from your home country does not mean they won't also key-in your name in the Interpol site.

They will still have to use the Interpol to check if you are wanted by any other country beside your home country of Germany.
You are not immune to Interpol checks just because you sent them a local police record check from your home country.

nope.
if he would be wanted by an other country, that "request" would already be noticed by the local office where he get's his paper in germany. in germany exists only one such paper, you can't get different background check papers from different agencies there.if an other country want's thru a Interpol warrant a citizen of a "Interpol Member Country", such request is notified to that country. asgermany issues only 1 paper which states all your small and big and bigger thingies, it would be there on the paper. the USA seems to be very different on such things. there you may be able to receive a clean record from your local police station, while on the federal level the FBI has a record with your name on it.
that Interpol requests take up many weeks and even several months to be returned with a result, may simply be for the reason that they get a certain amount of requests per day/week/month and handle such "big"(i have no idea how many requests in how many languages they receive each day) amount with a small number of staff, who type the names and birthdates into their computer, print out a paper, sign and stamp it and send it to the requesting institution.
Germany does not issue/provide some kinda different Federal Records, they have only one central record for every citizen.
an other reason for a delay on Interpol requests may be to wait by purpose after a request comes in, in case the request comes for a person who just lately caused some troubles, but is still not in their system.
the german record is easy to obtain, when i need a new one i just send my sister or my mother to get it and send it over by postal or the next visiting friends/family bring it in their luggage.

Mike

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Ordered mine here at the embassy, 5 minutes and done, was send directly to Dominican Consulate in Frankfurt for apostal.

By the way, by Interpol takes long I mend Interior y Policia which handles the whole process.