italian man commits suicide in higuey

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yikes :-( This is why I try to tell anyone who will listen it is NOT cheap to live here!!!! Very sad.

actually, it is not expensive, either. however, as CC says, if you want to leave the DR with a million, bring two. it is called "budgeting". go to certain casetas on the malecon, and the same guys are there, from morning till night. some have bank, some do not. the tropical sun, the booze, and the chicas will reduce most of these guys to rubble in a heartbeat. guys just blow money like it is going out of style, and it is really easy to go belly up in short order..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
It's expensive or not expensive everything depends on the way of living...

Most expats will not live in a shack in a barrio.. or eat beans and rice with a little pollo..

Wonder why these expats with economical problems dont take a one way ticket to their home countries..

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When I rented an apartment in La Triniteria, my "then" girlfriend said she was always seeing a shadow move out of the corner of her eye when moving about the apartment. Then I started seeing the same...........
After awhile, it was really bothering the both of us to the extent of having to ask the lawyer who prepared the lease, did anything we should be aware of happen in our apartment.

I told him what was transpiring and he finally admitted that 3 weeks prior to us moving in, the previous tenant shot himself in the head in the Master bathroom while his Dominican wife and her mother were preparing food in the kitchen.

He also stated that he hired a clean-up person to clean everything up.............
Upon examination, she didn't quite clean it all up...........
The bathroom door must have been open because brain matter was on the edge of the door...........
My Dominican girlfriend wanted none of this and moved back to her mothers house..............
He also committed suicide because he lost all of his money in a business deal gone sour............

The attorney didn't want to let me out of the lease, so I told him to sue me............
I informed him that I should have been made aware of this...........
Left the apartment the next day and a lawsuit was never filed...........
But I never received my security deposit back of 25,000 D.P.............

Lesson.........Never ever put ALL your money into a business venture..........
Especially here............

B in Santiago

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Most expats will not live in a shack in a barrio.. or eat beans and rice with a little pollo..

Wonder why these expats with economical problems dont take a one way ticket to their home countries..

They only have money left for a rope ? :rambo:

no shame I know

I wonder if it is bc they feel like such a failure?

I would kill myself before I would live in a shack, I just can not live here in a cheap way and be happy. I am barely happy here spending lots of money!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

well, there is nothing that says the only alternative to living beyond one's means is to live in a barrio shack, and to eat the bandera every day. i know guys here who have no visible means of income, but cannot stay away from the chicas and the booze every day. i know a guy who came here with 2 million US, and has to bunk up with his mom when he goes back to the US. having 4 chicas in your home at any given time will do that to you.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
When I rented an apartment in La Triniteria, my "then" girlfriend said she was always seeing a shadow move out of the corner of her eye when moving about the apartment. Then I started seeing the same...........
After awhile, it was really bothering the both of us to the extent of having to ask the lawyer who prepared the lease, did anything we should be aware of happen in our apartment.

I told him what was transpiring and he finally admitted that 3 weeks prior to us moving in, the previous tenant shot himself in the head in the Master bathroom while his Dominican wife and her mother were preparing food in the kitchen.

He also stated that he hired a clean-up person to clean everything up.............
The bathroom door must have been open because brain matter was on the edge of the door...........
My Dominican girlfriend wanted none of this and moved back to her mothers house..............
He also committed suicide because he lost all of his money in a business deal gone sour............

The attorney didn't want to let me out of the lease, so I told him to sue me............

B in Santiago

Must have been his ghost

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

B in Santiago

OMG...don't tell me that you believe in ghosts!?

Don't we already have enough crazy and superstitious people on this island?

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it is very difficult to live here without any support like family and friends. when you run into problems there is no help in sight. i presume many have no means to go back home, maybe they have nothing there either: no pensions, no properties, no sources of income. add to this other issues like alcohol, drugs, failing health and some may feel they have no other choice.

i'm not saying this guy had those particular problems, btw, this is a general statement. very sad. within the last 6 months or so we had several gringos end their lives.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I once made the mistake of investing big bucks in another tropical island paradise.. got only stress and lost tens of thousands $ Fortunately I have other savings but I will never make that mistake here. For me, renting, keeping my money in the USA, and paying off the credit cards in full is the way to go. I know this Italian guy who invested close to 500k in a nice apartment bldg in Santo Domingo..i saw the stress he had managing it...way too risky.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Yikes :-( This is why I try to tell anyone who will listen it is NOT cheap to live here!!!! Very sad.

I say it's not that expensive. You just have to adapt and make certain changes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Often gringos feel that if people don't have "pop tarts" and access to fast food everyday, then they're having an unworthy existence.
Seriously, with the $$$ that I spend to take my nephew out for fast food, I can make a delicious, plentiful and healthy meal for 4 people. And don't even get me started on those overpriced salads with a few stripes of chicken on top.They're a joke!

And hey, where else can you have a maid, a gardener, errand boy, driver, and go to the salon once or twice a week?

Last edited:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I think they arrive with a pocket full of Silver, but its quickly spent on the trappings..

Painted Ladies and a Bottle of Wine.

[video=youtube_share;kuzUHQ0cEkA]http://youtu.be/kuzUHQ0cEkA[/video]

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
;)
I say it's not that expensive. You just have to adapt and make certain changes, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Often gringos feel that if people don't have "pop tarts" and access to fast food everyday, then they're having an unworthy existence.
Seriously, with the $$$ that I spend to take my nephew out for fast food, I can make a delicious, plentiful and healthy meal for 4 people. And don't even get me started on those overpriced salads with a few stripes of chicken on top.They're a joke!

And hey, where else can you have a maid, a gardener, errand boy, driver, and go to the salon once or twice a week?

Cc always says it is expensive here. Maybe he eats too many "pop tarts".;)

Kathyaa586

Mar 23, 2011
I don't think suicide due to financial reasons is unique to the Dominican. It is sad though that people feel that their financial standing defines their life especially when you look at so many people who live with just the basics and remain happy.

I don't think suicide due to financial reasons is unique to the Dominican. It is sad though that people feel that their financial standing defines their life especially when you look at so many people who live with just the basics and remain happy.

It is not unique but the last 3 or 4 suicides here have said it has been $$$ related, who knows what the real story is though? Certainly the lack of mental health services might have something to do with it as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.