Renewing My Residency; Have Questions

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure the answers are in the archives but I am too lazy to do an exhaustive research, also the search engine is not that refined.

I have had residency for more than 25 years so don't need a physical.

Questions:

1. My expiration date is in mid-September. Can I renew the end of this month or in early August? Is there a rule on when you can renew?

2. Can you still renew in Santiago, or at least begin the process there? If so:

a. Does anyone have the phone number of the office in Santiago?

b. It has been 4 years since I was there, but as I recall it was on the same busy street as the Caribe Tours bus terminal, but on the opposite side of the street. I recall crossing that street, turning left, and walking back toward the city. A couple of blocks later the office was on the second floor of a building on the street corner. Is that where the Santiago office is today?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
(1)Not sure, might be 45 days before.
(2)Yes you can still renew in Santiago.
(2A) Do not know the phone number.
(2B) Yes, you have the location correct.

B in Santiago

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
(1)Not sure, might be 45 days before.
(2)Yes you can still renew in Santiago.
(2A) Do not know the phone number.
(2B) Yes, you have the location correct.

B in Santiago

Thanks, hopefully someone will know the number. I had it 4 years ago, but can't find it now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I expect because of the length of time you were a resident you can renew in Santiago. Those of us that still needed a medical exam had to go to Santo Domingo. When I called the office in Santiago they told me they could tell me nothing about the details on the telephone. I had to go into the office which is near the second Caribe Tours bus stop in Santiago.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
To the OP.
809 508 25 55 extension 2 ( for migracion) extension 209 ( for santiago).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To the OP.
809 508 25 55 extension 2 ( for migracion) extension 209 ( for santiago).

Thanks, Malko. Am I correct in understanding that 809-508-2555, ext 209 rings the migracion office in Santiago?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks, Malko. Am I correct in understanding that 809-508-2555, ext 209 rings the migracion office in Santiago?

No, 809 508 2555 tone, extension 2209. Office in santiago.
P.s Elsa Rodriguez is helpful...... ( licenciado en ley ). Sort of head of hhe office.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
In your case Ken, submit the paper work in Santiago, pick up your new card in Santiago. One problem now is the new cedula, you must get the new cedula AFTER you renew your current residency since you have less then 3 months before renewal of the Residency card. The new cedula card can NOT be done in Santiago. Current wait time in line at the JCE in S.D. was roughly 2? hours on Thursday, July 17th, 2014.

Interesting is that others have reported the new cedula would have the same expiration date as your residency card, yet mine was dated July 17th and same year as my residency card which expires on July 10th. If I had known that, I would have left more time between the residency card and the cedular card.

The new cedula card is FREE, if you don't wait too long to get it, there is a time limit on getting it.

You will be under the old system and just need to fill out the form as before, you will need your residency card and passport to submit the form. You can go there and do it all in a short time. The person in charge of accepting the papers in migracion in Santiago is "Gracie". Very nice person to work with.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, 809 508 2555 tone, extension 2209. Office in santiago.
P.s Elsa Rodriguez is helpful...... ( licenciado en ley ). Sort of head of hhe office.

Thanks, malko. If she is the same person that seemed to be head of the office about 4 years ago, she is very helpful.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks, malko. If she is the same person that seemed to be head of the office about 4 years ago, she is very helpful.

Gracie is new and took over from the one (AVA?) there from 2 years ago.
I do not know who Elsa Rodriguez is.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In your case Ken, submit the paper work in Santiago, pick up your new card in Santiago. One problem now is the new cedula, you must get the new cedula AFTER you renew your current residency since you have less then 3 months before renewal of the Residency card. The new cedula card can NOT be done in Santiago. Current wait time in line at the JCE in S.D. was roughly 2? hours on Thursday, July 17th, 2014.

lothario, my present cedula expires in November, 2016. Since for me it is just ID, not a voter card, do you have any information on how much pressure I am under to get a new cedula?

Since I don't vote, I wouldn't think there would be much pressure. I'll have my residency carnet and that is the only card immigration is interested in when you fly into the country.

There was a piece in the DR News today indicating that the JCE has yet to set a date for the expiration of the old cedula for Dominicans who do vote.

Thanks, also, for info on Gracie.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
lothario, my present cedula expires in November, 2016. Since for me it is just ID, not a voter card, do you have any information on how much pressure I am under to get a new cedula?

Since I don't vote, I wouldn't think there would be much pressure. I'll have my residency carnet and that is the only card immigration is interested in when you fly into the country.

There was a piece in the DR News today indicating that the JCE has yet to set a date for the expiration of the old cedula for Dominicans who do vote.

Thanks, also, for info on Gracie.

If you have a D.R. driver's license or a D.R. bank account, the "OLD" card will no longer be legal for any of that. That could happen at any time now. This is the "D.R." after all.

And when they make the old card invalid, you will probably be subject to a penalty for not having a valid cedula card (Per month). The date on your old card will mean nothing.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you have a D.R. driver's license or a D.R. bank account, the "OLD" card will no longer be legal for any of that. That could happen at any time now. This is the "D.R." after all.

And when they make the old card invalid, you will probably be subject to a penalty for not having a valid cedula card (Per month). The date on your old card will mean nothing.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for all this information

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In SD - go early or go late... I was just over an hour @ 1:30pm.... less gentes after 2:30 July 15

Lots of people show up after residencies... like at 12 or so

s/b about an hour..... very easy