New member need info on exchanging scottish pounds

J

jamotilu

Hi, I am new to the DR1 forum and hoping someone can tell me if it is possible to exchange Scottish pound notes anywhere in the Cabarete, Puerto Plata, Rio San Juan area. I tried a number of places in Cabrera but no one would take them. Thanks.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
That is a preview to future independance.........:laugh: only kidding.
A couple of months ago I changed a mix of scottish/english pounds at caribe tour on la 27 de februar at santiago.
If I remember rightly, u do get a slightly diffrent rate than for english?. ( bit u also get that in france and switzerland, so....).

Also there is a money changer as u leave caribe tour heading out of santiago towards autopista duarte. Turn left at the 2nd last traffic lights. A couple of hundred meters down the road. U have to climb up outside stairs. He will change anything. Sorry cant remember the name.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Nope u are right both pounds...... in england printed by bank of england, in scotland printed by the bank of scotland, figures.......
By the way its easy to tell them apart, it is written on them......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can use Scottish notes all over the UK and dependent territories, but not elsewhere.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If Malko is saying you can exchange Scottish notes at Caribe Tours in Santiago, you may be able to do so at Caribe Express in Cabarete, which is part of the same group. They are in Plaza Media Luna on the main road next to Ferreteria Linares.

Although Scottish notes are legal tender, I think the problem here is that people don't recognize them.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
So update on scottish ?......
After having spoke with an aunt of mine ( scottish....), she says nowaday there are 3 diffrent banks that can print notes in scotland........... ( dont ask, seems very complicated to me for a country less populated than the dr,.....I think....). Royal bank of Scotland, Clydsale bank ( or something to the likes of it ) and Bank of Scotland.
Scottish pounds are NOT legal tender ( term that does not apply to anything nowadays, ie credit cards, bank transfers, checks.....), not even in Scotland....... which does not make them illegal simce they are backed by the central bank of the Sterling, Bank of England.

So you should be able to change them everywhere, at the same rate as Bank of England pounds ( which is not the case ), the problem being as drsix pointed out, is that people sometimes doubt their "legality". Especially now since each denomination has 3 diffrent notes......