Toyota RAV4 for sale

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have a paid classified ad running which allows me to post here: http://dr1.com/classifieds/cgi-bin/view.cgi

Toyota RAV4 2001
2.0l 2WD
Superb condition
Recent major service including complete brake overhaul.
Everything works and even has an iPod interface as a CD changer.
Paint is in original condition, which means it's not perfect, but clearly shows it has never been crashed or repaired. But polishes up very nicely.
Asking RD$370,000.
Selling due to upgrading vehicle and trying to get a get a better price selling privately rather than trading it in.
Call Alex on 809 849 1151
Cabarete area.

11wdpjk.jpg
[/IMG]

9zyeyc.jpg
[/IMG]

24edngo.jpg
[/IMG]

2cnehrm.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
You seem to have your price set in the same range as other people do on supercarros.com.
And the pictures look like it is in good condition - so good luck!!!!

I know the import on cars, even for dealers, but it always surprises me that the cars are TWICE as expensive in the DR.
For example, the Kelley Blue Book on an excellent condition 2001 Rav4 is about $4500 USD - but supercarros shows a lot of 2001 Rav4 vehicles with prices between 350,000-400,000 pesos (approximately $8100-9,300 USD).
And with the abuse cars take on the roads in the DR, it is extremely rare to find excellent condition, maybe very good condition...

But I am sure that if you are patient, you will find a buyer, because the Rav4 is popular model in the DR (and plenty of places to get parts and repair as the car continues to age).

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This car will sell in no time as it is one of the most sought after vehicles in The DR. You could take it to a dealer and get is sold in a minute...of course the dealer will offer you less just like any dealer anywhere in the world. If I was looking for a vehicle I would make you an offer.

Jan 9, 2004
You seem to have your price set in the same range as other people do on supercarros.com.
And the pictures look like it is in good condition - so good luck!!!!

I know the import on cars, even for dealers, but it always surprises me that the cars are TWICE as expensive in the DR.
For example, the Kelley Blue Book on an excellent condition 2001 Rav4 is about $4500 USD - but supercarros shows a lot of 2001 Rav4 vehicles with prices between 350,000-400,000 pesos (approximately $8100-9,300 USD).
And with the abuse cars take on the roads in the DR, it is extremely rare to find excellent condition, maybe very good condition...

But I am sure that if you are patient, you will find a buyer, because the Rav4 is popular model in the DR (and plenty of places to get parts and repair as the car continues to age).

KBB reflects prices in the US....a totally different market. The DR has such high taxes, importers cannot possibly sell at those prices and make a profit.

I imported a 2007 Corolla last year, and with taxes, shipping, insurance and misc., it equaled about 45% of the cars value...and that was through my clients, who are dealers. Add profit, risk, insurance etc., for a dealer and you can easily see prices here at a double over the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

texan

Apr 1, 2014
KBB reflects prices in the US....a totally different market. The DR has such high taxes, importers cannot possibly sell at those prices and make a profit.

I imported a 2007 Corolla last year, and with taxes, shipping, insurance and misc., it equaled about 45% of the cars value...and that was through my clients, who are dealers. Add profit, risk, insurance etc., for a dealer and you can easily see prices here at a double over the US.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

It is a totally different market but it is very depressing to see how much more cars cost here. I would always look at what it would cost in the US just so I would know the premium I would be paying for a car over here. People do seem to like the RAV4 over here. A SUV getting good MPG is an ideal car over here.

Apr 13, 2011
I think your Rav4 will sell for more than what a dealer would give you, so have patience, even if it takes a month or two.

And, since it bumps your topic up, I will keep the slightly off-topic conversation going...
I know KBB is only the US market, but it is a good estimater of value in the US. And I know the DR is more expensive because of taxes. I was thinking it should be 50% more, but when you mention profit and insurance after importing, then I guess twice as much does make sense.
OK - so based on that how do so many people who work on local salaries afford as many cars that are here... (somewhat rhetorical question, because I know many live in a simple house that they truly own, so no rent, and maybe help with other expenses from family living with them, etc)
I guess it just baffles me that cars can cost 2x as much while most earning 4x less (yes, an oversimplification just to make a point). Those that earn even less than that are still able to find a way get a moto (and I am guessing motorcylces have the same high import, taxes, etc...)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sold!

And all-in-all I lost RD$15,000 pesos in value during the three years of ownership!

Not too shabby at all! These cars certainly hold their value here in this country.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Sold!

And all-in-all I lost RD$15,000 pesos in value during the three years of ownership!

Not too shabby at all! These cars certainly hold their value here in this country.

That is pretty impressive. Cars are overpriced year but that is good news if you are able to resale them and not lose too much. That is really great for 3 years of ownership.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That is pretty impressive. Cars are overpriced year but that is good news if you are able to resale them and not lose too much. That is really great for 3 years of ownership.

TOYOTA - TOYOTA - TOYOTA in DR.

I swear, it's in their DNA. Yesterday we were coming out of Petsmart, walking to my car [dark Lexus SUV] and Mr. AE walks right up to a silver Toyota Highlander next to it and stands at the door for a second before realizing it wasn't our car.

I teased him that his Dominican-ness made him beeline for the Toyota.

Jan 9, 2004

They are only overpriced as compared to the US market. The OP got what the market allowed him to get in the DR...its the huge import taxes that keep prices up.

Lots of people come here and complain about the prices on supercarros, etc. The bottom line, unless you find someone who needs to exit the DR quickly....those prices are a fairly accurate representation of what cars are worth here....and the OP's sale backs that up.

One caveat that needs to be also factored in is the declining value of the peso. Prices for cars are held up because of the decline in the peso.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
In a slightly selfish way, I'm pleased cars are so overpriced. If they were cheaper, all those moto riders would be buying cars and clogging up the roads even more.

The DR road system couldn't handle it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In a slightly selfish way, I'm pleased cars are so overpriced. If they were cheaper, all those moto riders would be buying cars and clogging up the roads even more.

actually, if cars were cheaper, then the guys who drive those road reptiles with no lights, brakes, six different colors of paint, and no floorpan, might be able to upgrade to something roadworthy.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
They are only overpriced as compared to the US market. The OP got what the market allowed him to get in the DR...its the huge import taxes that keep prices up.

Lots of people come here and complain about the prices on supercarros, etc. The bottom line, unless you find someone who needs to exit the DR quickly....those prices are a fairly accurate representation of what cars are worth here....and the OP's sale backs that up.

One caveat that needs to be also factored in is the declining value of the peso. Prices for cars are held up because of the decline in the peso.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I do compare most things to the US market and not other markets. I was saying the cars are overpriced here as far as meaning the dominican republic to the US market. I wasn't saying a particular car or a particular car dealer was overpriced. I have looked at cars here and have seen what they go for.

I do see in the past three year the peso ratio went from 38 to 43 per dollar. I understand the prices are high because of import taxes.

texan

Apr 1, 2014

I have wondered that myself. There isn't much off a middle class and it is pretty hard to get ahead here. If they did get more off a middle class and or if the prices of cars dropped it does seem like the traffic would be crazy. A lot of parts of the Island the current roads system could handle a huge increase in car ownership.

I was at a local hospital here in Puerto Plata and half the time I was able to park in one of the 8 or 10 spots right in front or very close just north of the Claro office across the street. Very few people were showing up to the hospital in a car.

I agree if cars were priced here like in the US there would be a lot more cars on the street.