Best affordable bank account and cell phone/internet service for sosua/cabrera

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Hi guys, I wanted to brainstorm all of you here regarding the basic services needed in the north coast.

1-Best cell phone service for Sosua to Samana area. contract or prepaid. strenght of signal.

2- best overall internet service. reliability,speed. preferably hot spot or stick. contract or prepay.

3- Best overall bank account with pesos, stable bank, low maintenance fees, least possible hassles.

thanks a lot.

oceanspear

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Claro for Cell and Internet. Better coverage in Samana and east of Sosua, Cabarete. Also Claro is good for a DSL line in your residence. Sure they have problems, but overall is better than the other choices.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Claro for Cell and Internet. Better coverage in Samana and east of Sosua, Cabarete. Also Claro is good for a DSL line in your residence. Sure they have problems, but overall is better than the other choices.

I agree with SKY re cell service. If you were asking about Sosua, I would recommend Orange, but since you asked about service between Sosua and Samana, then Claro is your best choice. Orange is ok in the town center, but Claro is much better in between.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I dropped Claro DSL for a cable modem. I won't go back to Claro unless they come up with a competitive fiber optic solution.

Wegman

Aug 31, 2014
Hi I will be living just outside Las Terrenas in El Portillo starting in Nov. I have same question about cell, internet and cable services but doubt cable will be an option due to more remote location. There are no other residences on my calle. Can you all advise on best way to handle internet and cable for TV?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hi I will be living just outside Las Terrenas in El Portillo starting in Nov. I have same question about cell, internet and cable services but doubt cable will be an option due to more remote location. There are no other residences on my calle. Can you all advise on best way to handle internet and cable for TV?

Cellphone service - Claro has the best coverage, so if for your is more important coverage in roads and cities Claro is your best option for Cellphones.

Clable TV - If you live in a City, If you live in an area served by Tricom with them you have the option of Cable TV and Internet, the service is good, if not there are 2 options with satelital service.

Claro-TV - The only problem is when is cloudy or raining not service.

VIVA-TV - They have more HD channels for free than claro and a friend told me that when is raining or cloudy he never lose the signal. They also has the option pre-paid service by days.

Bank - Banco Popular, wherever you move you can find an office and ATM, the problem with them is the charges they make to the accounts are little hight for having Debit card, or US Acct if is under 500.00 they charge 10.00 every month so you better ask all those details before.

The internet Banking is good and If im not wrong they are the only one that use a Token for codes for the transactions.

Last edited:

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Internet and TV in LT

Recently I switched from my previous satellite internet provider to a local one.
I get 2Mbps DL and 384 Kbps UL unlimited for 2,050RD$/month, which suits me fine. Plans to up to 10 Mbps/1Mbps are available.
We prefer not to hook up with Claro or Orange.... (for phone service only).

FTA satellite TV is a good alternative to what you get from local providers... ;)

PM me if you wish.

donP