Info? Hostels, Inexpensive Hotels, Grocery Stores & Affordable Restaurants

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
First and foremost I want to thank all the members of this giant cluster of local Dominican information, dr1, for being so helpful and useful in my search for information.

Does any one know of any affordable and inexpensive Hotels, Hostels, Restaurants and Grocery Stores, in the vicinity of Santiago, more Specifically in the Zona Colonial.

I'm sure theirs many streets filled with local establishments, but what I am asking for is recommendations.

Also, what would be the best and most efficient method to instantly transfer money on a weekly basis from New York City to Santiago DR?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
First and foremost I want to thank all the members of this giant cluster of local Dominican information, dr1, for being so helpful and useful in my search for information.

Does any one know of any affordable and inexpensive Hotels, Hostels, Restaurants and Grocery Stores, in the vicinity of Santiago, more Specifically in the Zona Colonial.

I'm sure theirs many streets filled with local establishments, but what I am asking for is recommendations.

Also, what would be the best and most efficient method to instantly transfer money on a weekly basis from New York City to Santiago DR?

He is stating Santiago..........
Not Bonao, not Puerto Plata,.........

B in Santiago

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Sorry, I misread and thought you wanted the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo. Deleted my reply to avoid confusion.

May 29, 2006
Bring your bank card and give your folks or whoever some deposit slips for your account. They can make deposits for you to draw on at any ATM. I prefer disposable debit cards while traveling that you can reload online like GreenDot.Com. You can get them at most big box stores and pharmacies.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
stephen, may i recommend you to a site called monaga.net or monannga. cant remember. It might be of interest to you from reading an earlier thread. They are listings of hotels, bars, taxi's etc. You got spunk kid. your thread got closed before I could respond.

also, unsolicited advice. don't use your real name on this forum. DR is a small country. SD is a small city.

good luck. PM if u want more details on the scene. While race is a banned topic, anything gay goes over like a lead baloon around here. some peeps just don't wanna hear about it. anonymous internet bravado. wouldn't none of these old guys step to you in person with their BS.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Hi:

I think you are a little confused. The Zona Colonial is in Santo Domingo not Sanitago. Secondly you don't need to transfer money every week. Get yourself a debit card and you can withdraw money from a bank ATM as needed from your NYC account.
If you google travel guides to Santo Domingo you will get a wealth of info on hostels or where to stay. You can eat inexpensively from local Domincan restaurants or street vendors. Be careful though, your body may object and you will be stuck in the bathroom. You need to drink bottled water, never from the tap. With your language skills and looks people will probably treat you as a local. Good luck.

May 29, 2006
aVZgT.gif

Go out and get the Lonely Planet Guide to the DR. It's usually a bit outdated, but it's one of the best guide series for the Backpack tourist demo. If you use the advice twice in it, you'll more than get your money back on it.

Dominican Republic - Lonely Planet

Lonely Planet Dominican Republic & Haiti (Travel Guide): Paul Clammer, Michael Grosberg, Kevin Raub: 9781741794564: Amazon.com: Books

StephenChen

Jul 18, 2014
I dont use my real name - Come on? since when is a spanish guy named Stephen Chen lol

stephen, may i recommend you to a site called monaga.net or monannga. cant remember. It might be of interest to you from reading an earlier thread. They are listings of hotels, bars, taxi's etc. You got spunk kid. your thread got closed before I could respond.

also, unsolicited advice. don't use your real name on this forum. DR is a small country. SD is a small city.

good luck. PM if u want more details on the scene. While race is a banned topic, anything gay goes over like a lead baloon around here. some peeps just don't wanna hear about it. anonymous internet bravado. wouldn't none of these old guys step to you in person with their BS.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Here's a blog about a new hostel opening this month in Zona Colonial:

A new adventure in the Dominican Republic

this might be just what you are looking for.. since they have bunk beds.. and they are just opening and there is work to do and you may be able to help out. See if you can contact them.

I would not bother buying the Lonely Planet guide. The last one that I bought for the DR was useless for out of the way places. There may be better ones. But you can check out the LP website ..Santo Domingo Budget hotels & hostels - Lonely Planet where they evidently do booking now.

Also you might do a search on couch surfing to see what that turns up. That might get you traveling about .

May 29, 2006
The most important thing is to be careful of anyone who wants to "help you" too much. The better the English, the more the red flags should go up..

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010

Buy your fruits and vegs on the street, big difference in price from the stores. If you stay in ZC there is a Jumbo grocery store on El Conde, not the best but you will find what you need. Many places to get breakfast for 120-150 pesos, lunch for 120-150, Dinner for 180-250. Mostly the same food but some are better tham others and a good way to spend the day getting to know the area.