Is men and boys swimming with full clothes on Dominican thing?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I've noticed people jumping into pool with shirts, tanktops, shorts or jeans and security consistently have to ask them to remove tank tops and wear swimming suit instead of jeans. Hotel had been pleading this rules over and over several times for sake of sanitary purpose ask them to remove the top and wear proper swiming suits. I don't know if it really is unsanitary or perhaps tripadvisor reviews tip the upper hotel staff off. But it got to be little annoying after hearing same announcements over and over and I am not so found of pool dress code police monitoring...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some do not have swimming shorts at all.
others do not want to get burned by the sun.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I don't think it is unsanitary unless they are wearing diapers. But it is a little unsafe because the clothes can restrict the movements of a swimmer. Societies past and present restricted the amount of skin shown but you ud
Usually see those clothed bathers usually stay near shore.

May 29, 2006
It's not uncommon at all, just frown on by some. I think it may be a class issue more than a sanitation thing.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't think it is unsanitary unless they are wearing diapers. But it is a little unsafe because the clothes can restrict the movements of a swimmer. Societies past and present restricted the amount of skin shown but you ud
Usually see those clothed bathers usually stay near shore.

From my observation, most don't know how to swim (or at least don't swim, hence my assumption). A swimmer would find that too uncomfortable.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it is regular practice here in the DR for people to get into swimming pools with clothes on. the owners of the pools try to tell them that the street clothes attract and collect dust and grime, and make the pool dirty, unnecessarily. it falls on deaf ears.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
it is regular practice here in the DR for people to get into swimming pools with clothes on. the owners of the pools try to tell them that the street clothes attract and collect dust and grime, and make the pool dirty, unnecessarily. it falls on deaf ears.

That is why I am not a fan of public or hotel pools. I am old school, I am used to being forced into a shower before getting into the pool.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
That is why I am not a fan of public or hotel pools. I am old school, I am used to being forced into a shower before getting into the pool.

Me too.
As kids growing up, we could not even dream of getting near the pool without first passing through the showers.
lol...
All those little niceties.....gone.
What really, really ruined it for me though was an occurrance that left a lasting memory.
Whilst swimming along (the crawl), my hand entered the water and as I skulled back I felt the unmistakable sensation of a rather long hair caught up and twisted between my fingers.
Omg....
Even just writing about it and I'm having a reaction. ugh....gross.
I have written on other threads about my repulsions/phobias over hairs.
Seriously folks.....It's no joke.
(lol).
Seriously.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Me too.
As kids growing up, we could not even dream of getting near the pool without first passing through the showers.
lol...
All those little niceties.....gone.
What really, really ruined it for me though was an occurrance that left a lasting memory.
Whilst swimming along (the crawl), my hand entered the water and as I skulled back I felt the unmistakable sensation of a rather long hair caught up and twisted between my fingers.
Omg....
Even just writing about it and I'm having a reaction. ugh....gross.
I have written on other threads about my repulsions/phobias over hairs.
Seriously folks.....It's no joke.
(lol).

Yup. That's pretty gross.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I am so sure all those drunk beer drinking tourists in the pool, get out and walk to their room to urinate.
Thank god for chlorine.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Same here.

Maybe it's the growing up in colder water and sanitary reason too. My parents always had me wash down enough before going in because my parents always warned me about getting heart attack, muscle cramping up and keeping it clean for others. I can imagine how cold it me be to get an heart attack and cramps but it was always exercise (jumping jacks, running and etc...) wash before getting in and wash chlorine after getting out.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I am so sure all those drunk beer drinking tourists in the pool, get out and walk to their room to urinate.
Thank god for chlorine.

Luckily they didn't had the in pool bar, but it's always nasty.
Too bad my son hates ocean. :( Perhaps next year we can start going to beach and play a bit more.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are two kinds of people.
Those who admit they "Pee In The Pool",....and "LIERS"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"GUILTY"!

there is a third kind. people who take a dump in the pool. i know two guys who manage hotels, and have had to drain the pools during Semana Santa because of floaties...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
there is a third kind. people who take a dump in the pool. i know two guys who manage hotels, and have had to drain the pools during Semana Santa because of floaties...

Hopefully, the perpetrators are children. I just can't imagine an adult in his right mind doing so :cry:

Apr 13, 2011
I have not seen anyone take a dump in the pool, but I have heard similar stories. I have seen parents dump shampoo on the kids heads and basically give them a bath in the pool.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Hopefully, the perpetrators are children. I just can't imagine an adult in his right mind doing so :cry:

Well.
There are diapers that you put on when you take baby into the pool.

I've seen a baby took a dump in the pool once. Luckily the incident was after we took out our boy. We washed our boy and getting ready to heading back to our room and I saw parents jumping into the pool while pool getting brown. Poor little boy must had been scared with all the commotions. We felt bad for the little boy but at same time I am sorry to say we couldn't stop laughing all the way back home.

May 29, 2006
Thank god for chlorine.

That's why I don't swim in pools with kids...

208_poolpee.gif

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I have not seen anyone take a dump in the pool, but I have heard similar stories. I have seen parents dump shampoo on the kids heads and basically give them a bath in the pool.

I watched a Guy shave his head in the pool at El Caucho in Boca Chica.

It wasn't his fault, the hotel water went out for a couple days.

All regulations in the country are subject to conditional interpretation and thus flexible out of necessity. Most of the time when I throw a switch or press a button in the D.R. I expect nothing to happen so I can only imagine how the People who were born and raised there have had to condition their expectations in a place where entropy moves a half step ahead of progress.