Battery Water

donP

Dec 14, 2008
I am not surprised and suspected that:

[video=youtube;vFJD1QaWo00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUIAd_59NB-ewMVuKIIjE-sQ&v=vFJD1QaWo00[/video]

This is why I always buy 'Agua Bidestillada' from a Lab.
The last time (when I again bought a box of 12 gallons) it was 70 Pesos/gallon....

donP

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't understand enough Spanish to catch much from the video so I only watched about 30 seconds of it...but I have always use distilled water to top up batteries rather than tap or spring water.

What's the jist of the video?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Actually i learned the other day that untop up with agua distillado, but once a year u need to use solucion para batteria.....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If the 5 gallon water bottles are often filled with "Tap Water", are you surprised the "Battery Water" isn't as well?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They told him.

Actually i learned the other day that untop up with agua distillado, but once a year u need to use solucion para batteria.....

All right, you learned it, but better not believe it. ;)

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Our Body Needs Minerals.

If the 5 gallon water bottles are often filled with "Tap Water"....

Well, depending on the quality of the tap water, it may even be the better water. ;)

The tests that Nuria presented found that the water in 'botellones' were similar to distilled water and void of minerals.
Can You Drink Distilled Water?

Some people find that unhealthy.

donP

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Never ever add more battery acid to a battery unless acid has spilled out of the battery. Only add the purist water you can find. Distilled water being the best if it is really available.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you are worried, you can buy a "Battery Tester" to tell you if you need more "ACID".
It's a big syringe with a tube to suck up some water, and has floating balls to indicate the acid level.
"Specific Gravity" or Something??????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Well, depending on the quality of the tap water, it may even be the better water. ;)

The tests that Nuria presented found that the water in 'botellones' were similar to distilled water and void of minerals.
Can You Drink Distilled Water?

Some people find that unhealthy.

donP

The majority of minerals our bodies receive are from the foods we eat and not the water we drink. Look at areas in the US where calcium and magnesium are unusually high in the water, and you will find more people suffering from kidney and gall stones in that area. On the flip side, those suffering from kidney stones are usually told by their doctors to drink lots of distilled water.. fyi, you're right about the distilled water sold here not being what it says it is in a lot of cases.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
If the 5 gallon water bottles are often filled with "Tap Water", are you surprised the "Battery Water" isn't as well?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

If you are telling me that a lot of the water in these 5 gallon water bottles is often just crap tap water I think my days in the RD are quickly coming to a close. This country aint goin have JayinRD to f... with any more.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
If you are telling me that a lot of the water in these 5 gallon water bottles is often just crap tap water I think my days in the RD are quickly coming to a close. This country aint goin have JayinRD to f... with any more.

Even most bottled water in the states starts out as simple tap water. It is ran through a bed of activated carbon, an RO system, Ph neutralization, ozone contact tank and into a sanitary processed bottle. Samples of each batch are drawn for testing with the results logged and sent monthly to IBWA. (International Bottled Water Association) and state health departments.

Do you really think that this same process is adhered to here in the DR?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Even most bottled water in the states starts out as simple tap water.

Do you really think that this same process is adhered to here in the DR?

This and not much more........30 pesos for a 5 gallon container...........
This includes the profit for the water processing company.........
The cost of drivers that deliver to the Colmados.......
And the Colmado...........
Most everything here is screw and get screwed........

B in Santiago

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Did I get it right? Did the reporter(s) measure 5 gallon bottled water (botellones) @ 1ppm, and so devoid of minerals? Wouldn't that then qualify it as distilled?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pure Water?

Did the reporter(s) measure 5 gallon bottled water (botellones) @ 1ppm, and so devoid of minerals? Wouldn't that then qualify it as distilled?

Yes, more or less... :classic:
The 'botellon' water only had 0.1 ppm (!) impurities, if I understood that correctly (video >> 4:45 FF).

Thus you could even use it to top up batteries, IF you knew that it is not just tap water. :rolleyes: ;)

donP

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Did I get it right? Did the reporter(s) measure 5 gallon bottled water (botellones) @ 1ppm, and so devoid of minerals? Wouldn't that then qualify it as distilled?

True distilled water purity is measured in resistance. 18.3 megOhms or 18.3 million ohms. ppm is a measure of dissolved solids in total weight. RO water would be pre treatment to de-ionized or distilled water.

@ CC. You're correct about the body being a great filter. It would actually take some pretty crappy water to make a person sick.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"WE" made it through the "Dark Ages"!
The "Hope Of Mankind" is that there are always some people who are immune to certain diseases.
No one believes I don't have "HIV/AIDS"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC