Hiring local driver and guide questions

M

mtnsurf

Hello All
and thanks ahead of time for any help. I will be taking a last minute trip to Northern DR with a friend this weekend for a week. Turns out the DR is an affordable fright from our local airport. Anyway, I know that tour company's operate in the area but I really we really prefer to do things with less of a large group.
I'd love the opportunity to hire both a local taxi for the entire day "possibly a few days" but I'm not sure
where to look as I would like to have the details worked out ahead of time.
Also can anyone give me a rough estimate of what the rate would be like? The only place I have taken
taxis are in major city's like Manhattan so I don't really know what to expect in price.

And lastly I'm looking for a local guide for Horse back riding and snorkeling if anyone knows of someone.

Thanks again for any and all help. I cant wait to start exploring your amazing country.

Mtnsurf

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Pm me about a driver, i know someone excellent, to take you to the off beat places and explore a little

M

mtnsurf

I was messing around renting a car but if I don't absolutely have to, I'd prefer not to at least this trip. Normally I travel alone
but this trip a friend is coming with me so half of the time I will be forced to sit around pool side or something so I might end up just being more of a hassle then it's worth. Really hoping I like it in the DR with the price of a direct flight this might be my new go to.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Taxis are more expensive here. Most people take moto taxis and the public cars. If you get a nicer taxi / car it will cost more money but if you aren't staying long and there are two of you then it might not be a big deal. If you have more of a plan as to where you are going to stay and want you want to do that would help. Somewhere you can walk around without a car incase the two of you are not together.

I like Sosua during the day and Cabarete at night. The 27 waterfalls are nice if you are ready to walk all the way up and come down or you can do less of them if you want. You can see the malecon in puerto plata and the old fortress at the end of the malecon. There is the teleferico in puerto plata.

There are a lot of guided tours where they will pick you up and drop if you off from the hotel. I like the idea of having my own driver also. It have never done it hear and I think it is a little harder and or more expensive to do then in some other countries. Maybe not expensive compared to manhattan but expensive compared to other 3rd world countries.

I have only done snorkeling in sosua. There are guys on the beach that have these small boats or you will see some operators that have larger boats. I have been with a group and just rented a smaller boat and done it for a little bit. If you are more serious about snorkeling you might want a better boat. Of course all prices you can negotiate.

I would ask how long is the trip, look at the boat, how many people are going, etc. There might be someone here with more information on snorkeling. Also if they provide drinks on the boat or if you need to bring your won.

Sosua does have some rocks so aqua shoes aren't bad to have. I have never ridden horses here.

M

mtnsurf

Thanks for all the great replays. It has given me a lot to think about. I'll be booking a resort tonight once I get input from my
traveling partner. I know she will want All-Inclusive which is not my style but I guess I can suck it up for unlimited watered
down drinks and free food. As far as location I think she may want to stay closer to Puerto Plata or Sosua so we can
easily get to into the city. Although Cabarete dose seem more my style. When I normally travel I just pack a bag and go but
because I have a traveling partner this time and she is someone that needs to know what we are doing ahead of time I'm
forced to plan and it's stressing me out.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Local Taxi driver Elias, excellent tour guide. Good man, speaks English, I've known him for many many years. 809-842-5557

donaldfrancis

May 2, 2008
I too am looking for a driver in the Cabarete area. I will be in Cabarete from Sept. 6-27 and would like to visit some other cities like Santiago while I am there. Looking for a knowledgeable and friendly driver.

Any recommendations will be appreciated!

M

mtnsurf

We were looking at Cabarete but being so small we figured it would be a little easier to get a car to explore closer to puerto plata/..