Going from DR to Haiti in car and back

Jesse Hales

Jul 22, 2014
If I own a car in the DR what is the process for crossing the boarder into Haiti with it and then returning? Are there any fees, taxes, ext.? The more details you can give me about this process the better. Thank you.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
If I own a car in the DR what is the process for crossing the boarder into Haiti with it and then returning? Are there any fees, taxes, ext.? The more details you can give me about this process the better. Thank you.

You wrote if I own a car, what if you don't ? It's that part a secret.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Careful, some/most/all car insurance wont cover you if cross the border into Haiti with the vehicle.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have no idea if they do it here but on the Costa Rica / Nicaragua border I was able to rent a car from the same company but actually changed vehicles at the border. I dropped off on one side then they gave me a ride to the other side. If you own a car here then maybe there is an agency on the border and a safe place to park your car.

A quick check and it looks like Avis is only in Port-Au-Prince.

Jesse Hales

Jul 22, 2014
Thanks everyone. I know in some countries if you cross the boarder in a car there are extra fees. Do you know if that is the case with the DR and Haiti. And the reason I said "if I own a car" is because we are not there in the DR yet and do not own a car there yet.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Hay Darfish ,
This could be a good bisniss idea, I cook you drive.
Visa run & breackfast!

i heard a lot more about visa runs in places like thailand and costa rica. do people do visa runs here. does your 30 days start over?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
A friend did this about 3 years ago. Crossed at Dajabon. He parked on the DR side, had his passport stamped on the DR side and then walked across and visited the Haiti officials where they stamped his passport and then pack to the DR. Don't know the cost but some pesos.

He drove 2 Haitians from Sosua that needed to go back and that was helpful because there were some people bugging him on the Haitian side and the locals were able to tell them to back off in the local patois. But that was a year after the earthquake so it may be more settled at the border now.

He said the whole thing on both sides of the border took about an hour and not the most pleasant experience but not terrible either. But he was not comfortable on the Haiti side. He rented a car for the trip as there was quite a bit of gravel road. Also wanted to be in a very plain low end car that would not attract alot of attention. His was the only car around.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would never take my own car into Haiti, but that is just me and I have never even had the desire to go there.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
We went across the border at Dajabon in July. We rented a car but from an " unofficial" company. The owner gave us all of the documents and papers we needed to get across..... I wish I could say there is a set fee to cross in a vehicle but from what I'm told it varies from day to day and person to person. We crossed on market day so it was a bit crazy and the negotiations took a bit..... At first they told us 5000rd for the car and then I guess we got the money out to quickly for that so they upped it to 6000rd. This was supposed to take care of everything but then we got asked for a few pesos to wash the tires. We also had to pay $60 US on the Haitian side for insurance. This was on top of our personal fees which if I remember correctly came to $45 US.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
To cross with a vehicle you're supposed to get a form from the Haitian Embassy in StoDgo, otherwise there is a real hassle at the border that that will be like extortion.

Insurance costs about $60 and is mandatory.

Dominicans need a visa.

Our border crossing @ Jimani:

[video=vimeo;83204881]https://vimeo.com/83204881[/video]

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That $60 for insurance is for the car?
Yes. But the "helper" criminals we ended up with tried to say US$256. Our hired translator called BS, went in and got the real scoop.

If you guys are interested I can post the other 2 parts.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Exactly Cobraboy! We had a form but the owner of the car got it in Santiago not Santo Dominigo... We were told that we could have avoided a lot of the hassle had we known this.
And yeah, the helpers are just wonderful!! Lol My friend and her husband drove us, he is Haitian and she is fluent in Creole and Spanish so that helped some.... They just kept dragging it out and coming up with another fee or another paper. Finally my friends husband got mad and went inside to see why it was taking so long.... We crossed soon after that.
The year before when we crossed our friends took care of the fees in no time and all went smoothly....however they couldn't cross the following month because they were given such a hard time and the fee crazy.