Cultural Differences between the USA and the DR

D

DKStuntz

I would like some opinions about the ways you've experienced the DR to be different from the USA -- in terms of culture and social customs, etc. For example, I realize that some behaviors, rituals, or clothing styles, which are appropriate or customary in the USA, may not necessarily be so in the DR -- and vice-versa. Thanks.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would like some opinions about the ways you've experienced the DR to be different from the USA -- in terms of culture and social customs, etc. For example, I realize that some behaviors, rituals, or clothing styles, which are appropriate or customary in the USA, may not necessarily be so in the DR -- and vice-versa. Thanks.

Living in a foreign country will be different in many ways than your home country. You really need to google and read info that you can find on the internet.. This will give you insight into the DR. In a nutshell this is a latin country, very Catholic, but in the same token more open and agressive sexually. Prostitution is legal and alchohol is sold everywhere. Dominicans are very family oriented and children are very protected. Music is a big part of the culture. Dominicans dress for the weather but most are conservative in dress with men wearing long pants, a collered shirt and nice shoes not sneakers or sandals. Women also dress, especially if they work in offices. They are fun loving people with a heart of gold but don't get on their bad side. There are many customs and practices which you can only learn if you are here in person. Learn Spanish if you want to talk to the "locals".

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

Any particular part of the USA you are using as a point of reference?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Living in a foreign country will be different in many ways than your home country. You really need to google and read info that you can find on the internet.. This will give you insight into the DR. In a nutshell this is a latin country, very Catholic, but in the same token more open and agressive sexually. Prostitution is legal and alchohol is sold everywhere. Dominicans are very family oriented and children are very protected. Music is a big part of the culture. Dominicans dress for the weather but most are conservative in dress with men wearing long pants, a collered shirt and nice shoes not sneakers or sandals. Women also dress, especially if they work in offices. They are fun loving people with a heart of gold but don't get on their bad side. There are many customs and practices which you can only learn if you are here in person. Learn Spanish if you want to talk to the "locals".

Dominicans and the DR in general are loud, and it is essential to not get overly annoyed at the volume of both the music and the voices. Often what we North Americans would mistake for an argument is only animated conversation. What LTSteve says is true about clothing but I see more and more Dominican men dressed in shorts and running shoes/flip-flops, even in banks.
Even attempting to speak Spanish is appreciated and many Dominicans understand some English, especially if spoken clearly.
Eating or drinking in front of people without offering to share is considered rude.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
The global influence of American Pop-Culture, the Internet, and globalization in general are real phenomena whose affects are no less evident in the DR. In reverse, things such bachata music, that can be thought of as an example of Dominican Pop, is slowly crossing-over into the big cities in the U.S.A. While no doubt there exist differences, I think you would be surprised of the many commonalities.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
This is the real land of the Freed, not the brave, but the freed. I have not seen a country with more freedom to anything than Dominican Republic. This observation is coming from a French.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Your North American sensibilities will certainly be tested in the DR. One major difference is that Dominicans are not future thinkers. They rarely plan beyond tomorrow. We in the first world are for the most part not too worried whether or not we'll have a roof over our heads, whereas those in the developing world are just trying to survive. They are just trying to get through the day with clothes on there back and food in their belly. If they can manage that, they are happy. The concept of efficiency has no meaning here. What should take 10 minutes back home will take 2 weeks here and you will end up having to have the same conversation with 5 different people. Don't let appearances fool you. Over the recent years, the influx of US culture and technology will make you believe things are more civilized than they are. Basically, this is what I tell people when they come here:

"Nothing works like you think it should."

Just keep that in mind and relax.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
to many differences to mention , things that shouldn't matter do
and things that should matter don't .

The biggest difference that bothers us the most is the lack of privacy at our home. Since many Dominicans live with MANY family members they don't seem to understand alone time, privacy or personal space etc... People just stop by all the time and expect us to stop what we are doing to talk to them. They don't just go away when I don't answer they go to find my maid who lives near by and get her to tell us they are there or they just stand at the gate and yell our names.

(We don't live in a gated community)

I find Dominicans MUCH more helpful if your car breaks down or sh*t hits the fan and you need any help, this is a HUGE difference from NA.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Americans "ACT", Dominicans "React"!
BRING "MUCHO Mo Knee"!!!!!!!
They LOVE "Moknee"!
Especially Other People's "MoKnee"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cris
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The biggest difference that bothers us the most is the lack of privacy at our home. Since many Dominicans live with MANY family members they don't seem to understand alone time, privacy or personal space etc... People just stop by all the time and expect us to stop what we are doing to talk to them. They don't just go away when I don't answer they go to find my maid who lives near by and get her to tell us they are there or they just stand at the gate and yell our names.

(We don't live in a gated community)

I find Dominicans MUCH more helpful if your car breaks down or sh*t hits the fan and you need any help, this is a HUGE difference from NA.

That's because you are city folk. Rural people in Canada gladly help people out. I blew a tire last week in Santiago and two limpiobotes helped me change it. I gave them fifty pesos each but they would have did it for nothing.

That's because you are city folk. Rural people in Canada gladly help people out. I blew a tire last week in Santiago and two limpiobotes helped me change it. I gave them fifty pesos each but they would have did it for nothing.

Yes I agree with that, the small town thing here is also something to get used to for us, not used to bumping into people I know ALL THE TIME!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Laissez-faire

I have not seen a country with more freedom to anything than Dominican Republic. This observation is coming from a French.

Yes, it seems that many French come here for that extended freedom...

donP