Claro changed our line and modem.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Yesterday, my wife told me that Claro just came and changed our line to supposedly Fiber Optic and our modem. Thank god they have changed that Cisco crap with (hopefully less crappy) another Cisco Modem.

But my question is, did they just renewed our contract?

It was very kind of them to called us with 15 minutes notice and came and changed the line and Modem without any prior notice. But I don't know what's up with sudden notice and change of the modem. The TV, phone and internet was working OK, and we haven't called them about problem or possible upgrade in months. I was going to check if there's another option with faster internet with us paying around $3300 and since we hardly watching anything that Claro Superior Package they offer.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I have claro in puerto plata. everything works fine besides it is hard to have wifi all around a 2 story house. of course it makes it harder when people try to use a smart phone over a laptop. i tried before to improve the wifi but it started messing up when i added the second router. i will try it again and even brought a modem from the US if needed. My laptop works fine in my room but my iPhone will go in and out while in my room.

the picture on the TV isn't near as crisp as one in the US but it is pretty good and we don't lose service much.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have claro in puerto plata. everything works fine besides it is hard to have wifi all around a 2 story house. of course it makes it harder when people try to use a smart phone over a laptop. i tried before to improve the wifi but it started messing up when i added the second router. i will try it again and even brought a modem from the US if needed. My laptop works fine in my room but my iPhone will go in and out while in my room.

the picture on the TV isn't near as crisp as one in the US but it is pretty good and we don't lose service much.

We had no problem with our service and we were never notified until 15 minutes prior they arrive and switched our line and modem. It's just strange. In US it always had been don't fix it unless it's broken type of thing.

And as far as TV goes my son love's his choices of cartoons but last time I checked there aren't that many channels that I feel worth paying extra. And the speed of around 2.5M that I get is OK but I want more speed. Less TV is OK, I just want NFL, MLB and Golf and last time I checked they lack that in Superior Package they offer.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Modem Exchange

Yesterday, my wife told me that Claro just came and changed our line to supposedly Fiber Optic and our modem. Thank god they have changed that Cisco crap with...

Are you sure they were Claro men? :nervous:

Well, maybe they were and just needed a working modem for someone in the neighbourhood... :bandit:

donP

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Are you sure they were Claro men? :nervous:

Well, maybe they were and just needed a working modem for someone in the neighbourhood... :bandit:

donP

LOL.
I hope so. I hope my modem don't crap out on me in days.....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
strage story...

Strange indeed.
There was nothing wrong with our service. It was working fine and did not ask for a change but they did it anyway.
Oh well... as long as it's working fine and if they had gave me better modem. I am okay with it all. I am going to go to claro office later this week and see what they say about upgrading our service. I just checked their website and few more pasos and 6mb internet sounds good for me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
LOL.
I hope so. I hope my modem don't crap out on me in days.....

They do things like that. I got called one day and offered a much better plan at no increase in cost. I accepted the offer and they made the change.

When I mentioned this to the condo administrator, she said you can be sure they did that because it benefited them, not because they wanted to do something for you.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012

This has nothing to do with Claro, its the houses construction.

Buy 1 or 2 wifi booster where the aignal is weak in your house, its like 40$ on amazon easy to setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Buy 1 or 2 wifi booster where the aignal is weak in your house, its like 40$ on amazon easy to setup.

I am using modified(dd wrt) Linksys router and it had been working fine for us.

texan

Apr 1, 2014

I have additional routers. i tried it last time and it worked at first then it didn't work later. the signal is fine with claro the equipment they provide could be better. considering all the houses are concrete in this country i do think it is strange claro doesn't provide a stronger signal (with equipment) around the house. it is a modem / router combo they provide.

i looked into this last time and was told adding additional routers that are connected with an ethernet cable would be best. i brought two routers from the US. it would for a while then it was not reading the additional routers. this time i brought my own modem but have not tried to install it all yet.

when i did have a second router working downstairs it was giving a good signal. i am not much of an IT guy. I made one trip to claro and was told I could get a modem only . I made a second trip to claro then i was told that was the only that one modem / router. they said they would send somebody to the house and no one ever showed up.

i don't think it would be hard for a company that offers internet in a country built with all concrete houses to have more knowledge about installing wifi in those types of houses.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's not that strange. They work street by street and slowly will change all internet users to fiber optics. The old modems and other hardware will be used in remote areas, in SD they have to keep up with the competition and are changing everybody to fiber optics. It's typical dominican way of working of just changing house by house, without notification. They changed me because I asked, and my neighbor, because he was around when they came to connect me and liked the idea.

I must say, the connection is still not 100% stable.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Koreano;1453947 But my question is, did they just renewed our contract?
I was going to check if there's another option with faster internet with us paying around $3300 and since we hardly watching anything that Claro Superior Package they offer.=

Claros policy is when your normal contract of 18 months has ended...........
"WITHOUT any notification from them to you, or you to them..........
It is automatically renewed for ANOTHER 18 months...........
IF you cancel early AFTER the original contract, you are responsible to pay off the remaining time..............

I have Plan Superior with 6mb AND High Definition...............
Service with taxes are right at 4000 per month.........
High Definition for this plan is 450 per month and included in my 4000 per month.........
Approximately 40 HD channels.......
But, for whatever reason, I am receiving 8mb steady...........
Downloading is a pleasure.............

They have only one plan that offers more channels...........
Plan Avanzado...........
A few more channels that weren't that great..........
For over 2000 more per month.........
But with Plan Avanzado, The High Definition pkg is 100 per month............

B in Santiago

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Claros policy is when your normal contract of 18 months has ended...........
"WITHOUT any notification from them to you, or you to them..........
It is automatically renewed for ANOTHER 18 months...........
IF you cancel early AFTER the original contract, you are responsible to pay off the remaining time..............

I have Plan Superior with 6mb AND High Definition...............
Service with taxes are right at 4000 per month.........
High Definition for this plan is 450 per month and included in my 4000 per month.........
Approximately 40 HD channels.......
But, for whatever reason, I am receiving 8mb steady...........
Downloading is a pleasure.............

They have only one plan that offers more channels...........
Plan Avanzado...........
A few more channels that weren't that great..........
For over 2000 more per month.........
But with Plan Avanzado, The High Definition pkg is 100 per month............

B in Santiago

So I guess our contract got renewed yesterday.
I want that package. I still have that old package and I would gladly pay extra $800 to tripling the amount of downloads. I guess I would have to pay a visit to Claro soon to discuss about paying more for that service.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
So I guess our contract got renewed yesterday.
I want that package. I still have that old package and I would gladly pay extra $800 to tripling the amount of downloads. I guess I would have to pay a visit to Claro soon to discuss about paying more for that service.

Being that they came to your house doesn't necessarily mean you have a new contract.......

They DON'T have an 8mb download available.......
It jumps from 6mb to 10mb and it is over 2000 more per month............
I am paying for 6mb, but for whatever reason, I am receiving 8 for the price of 6........
If you ask for 2mb more for free, they will just laugh...........
I was just very lucky...........

B in Santiago

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Exactly what Mauricio said. They are changing street by street as their fibre optics "coverage" widens. They changed mine over a year ago and actually sent a letter explaining the situation a couple of days before. They could well have done away with the letter now. It is all free.
However, i did notice that before the change my tv froze once in a while with heavy use of the internet. There seemed to be no upper limit on the download speed. With the new modems, the tv and internet are separated. The tv does not freeze at all anymore, but the internet download speed never gets as fast as it did before.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
WITHOUT any notification from them to you, or you to them..........
It is automatically renewed for ANOTHER 18 months.......

I think you will find that after the 18 months, it simply continues as opposed to being renewed.
As long as you complete the original 18 months you can cancel at any time without penalty.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I think you will find that after the 18 months, it simply continues as opposed to being renewed.
As long as you complete the original 18 months you can cancel at any time without penalty.

I was in their office a few days ago to cancel..........
Had signed a new contract with Tricom.........
My ORIGINAL contract with Claro was 4 years ago, never signed one since.........
They wanted to collect on the CURRENT REMAINDER of the 2nd auto renewal...........
I told them in no uncertain terms, it wasn't going to happen.........
The sales rep left the window to speak to the office manager......
5 minutes later he returned and said they weren't going to enforce this with me..........
BUT.....they can if they wish........

Since that incident, Tricom never showed up, I returned to Claro and signed a new contract...........
for another 18 months.........And glad I did...........

Tricom, after several promised install dates, has never shown up..............
Signed with them July 4th, and to date.......nada...........

B in Santiago

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I was in their office a few days ago to cancel..........
Had signed a new contract with Tricom.........
My ORIGINAL contract with Claro was 4 years ago, never signed one since.........
They wanted to collect on the CURRENT REMAINDER of the 2nd auto renewal...........
I told them in no uncertain terms, it wasn't going to happen.........
The sales rep left the window to speak to the office manager......
5 minutes later he returned and said they weren't going to enforce this with me..........
BUT.....they can if they wish........

Since that incident, Tricom never showed up, I returned to Claro and signed a new contract...........
for another 18 months.........And glad I did...........

Tricom, after several promised install dates, has never shown up..............
Signed with them July 4th, and to date.......nada...........

B in Santiago

i was going to test the other services but hearing your horror story and my initial experience of 4 months of waiting for Claro to show up, I guess I will be sticking with them too. But I believe my 18 months are over and I still have 2MB + Superior + Telephone and paying $3300-$3400, and download speed is about 2-2.5MB down. :(

While ago I had my boy ask if I can down grade the TV Package but increase the internet speed they said no but I wonder what they would say about upgrading straight up. I will be visiting Claro tomorrow or early next week to see if I can get that Superior + 6MB download.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
It's not that strange. They work street by street and slowly will change all internet users to fiber optics. The old modems and other hardware will be used in remote areas, in SD they have to keep up with the competition and are changing everybody to fiber optics. It's typical dominican way of working of just changing house by house, without notification. They changed me because I asked, and my neighbor, because he was around when they came to connect me and liked the idea.

I must say, the connection is still not 100% stable.

My connection was good, but it is just dam slow at 2 to 2.5 up and down. luckily we only had couple of days of down time. One time was someone trying to steal all the cables from the nearby poles and cut everything but eventually got shot so for couple of days we had no internet. And other time was straight out Claro problem and out for about 12 hours or so. I just hope they didn't screw up putting up fiber optic because I had consistent 10MB down capable cables that served me stable 2mb down service.