Guayaberas

May 12, 2005
I have 2. I like them. My next purchase will be a long sleeve one with french cuffs. Not sure about them for the ladies. Guayaberas/chacabanas = mens wear.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I don't own one but I want to. It should be good for air flow. I tried but could not find my size xxl and I am too cheap for a tailor made.

I saw a similar shirt from the Philippines made from pineapple fiber. Never found my size.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I own a couple made and fitted by EGO (Edgar Gomez Esteven) in Colombia. Excellent quality and fit great.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I own a couple made and fitted by EGO (Edgar Gomez Esteven) in Colombia. Excellent quality and fit great.

Columbia? Not DR related! Boring.....CLOSED!

(Now lets see if the boss has a sense of humor?) :)

I have one of the shirts. Wore it to a beachside DR wedding with white linen tousers and my lady was very impressed.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
shirt.jpg

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...fDYT0oASGi4GIBQ&ved=0CCIQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=949

Match it with:

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...ULIO9oQSAuYL4BA&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=949

or:

https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=...796j4WiBNCSgJgB&ved=0CBsQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=949

Sep 4, 2012
Cubans call them chacavanas, Dominicans call them guayaberas for the most part, although chacabanas is also a term widely use by locals.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I like the way they look, crisp and cool.

To my knowledge, Mr. AE has never worn one. He's more the tank top, shorts and flip flop kind of man. He does clean up nicely though, haha.

Maybe I'll buy him one. :)

Scratch that idea, just ran it buy him. Response: "Hipolito wears one all the time". Me: "So that's why you don't like them??" Him: "No, I just don't like the way they look".

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I have a few both long and short sleeved. It is what I wear when going to a more or less formal or important gathering of Carribean/South American nature.

The guayabera - short sleeves and more informal

The chacavana - long sleeves and more formal

The are a good alternative to a suit.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I like the way they look, crisp and cool.

To my knowledge, Mr. AE has never worn one. He's more the tank top, shorts and flip flop kind of man. He does clean up nicely though, haha.

Maybe I'll buy him one. :)

Scratch that idea, just ran it buy him. Response: "Hipolito wears one all the time". Me: "So that's why you don't like them??" Him: "No, I just don't like the way they look".

It's an acquired taste: One that I have acquired. Also, Hipolito is not exactly GQ material.

El-Jefe

Jun 28, 2014
Do you own any? Why? Why not? Any other thoughts regarding the attire? How about guayaberas for women?

I own about 8 in various colors, white, creme, powder blue black. But none are long sleeve. It is almost an essential piece of wardrobe in Caribbean Latin America for the gentleman that wants to be apart of polite society. It does not matter how gringo you are, showing up in one with khakis and casual leather shoes here will give off a very good impression.

When I was in high school, the guys called them "Ricky Ricardo Shirts".